Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 catera sport 91,xxx miles
my dillemma started few months back. as for it would miss on cold start untill warmed up. well friday it gave up the ghost. i pulled the codes .multiple missfire codes. running rich bla bla. on the way home it would not go over 12mph. no throttle response at all. i have changed both coil packs,new plugs. maf meter.and fuel filter. the miss is gone....until it warms up. then it shut off. so i replaced cps today. thought i had won the battle...went for a ride,car no sooner got to 50mph and just started to die,came to stop and it shut off. i cranked and cranked and cranked. would not start. then i cycled the key off and on as to prime the fuel system. it started. i got it home. let sit and idle...runs fine. rev enge 5 or 6 times...then its like somebody just shuts off the car. i am so ready to just burn this car to the ground.
could this be a bad ecm? any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE...CAR IS FIXED
turns out that unhooking battery terminal does not reset ecm. the car has to be hooked up to engine diagnostic scan tool to erase codes. my car was still in limp mode. i am back to loving my caddy again

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its fixed?? what fixed it??
no..yesterday it shut off on me. and the only way it would start was if i cycled the key on-off-on-off-on-off etc. i hooked fuel pressure guage up to it and when i turned key on i got 40psi. that pressure is not suppose to drop more than 5psi..if it does its a bad fuel pump or a fuel leak. well after 10-15 min. mine dropped to 0psi. so i put another $300 IN THIS CAR FOR FUEL PUMP. thought all was fine and ran to work this morning trouble free. on way home i stopped at my buddy's garage and left it idle. low and behold it shut off. i runs awesome. no miss. but has a really low idle @400-550rpms. anyone have any ides of what to replace now?

parts replaced
both coil packs.
new spark plugs
new mass air flow meter
new cps sensor
new fuel filter
new fuel pump

is there anyway to adjust the idle?

·
Registered
2000 Catera
314 Posts
Try replacing the cam sensor. It monitors and adjusts the fuel injection timing. It's really easy to get to and only about a $65-70 part from RockAuto. Looks exactly like the crank sensor.

View attachment 60414

Number 13 is where you can find it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car is fixed thus far.
i cleaned the throttlebody and reset ecu.
i did the old 2.8 and 3.1 v6 trick..."(brain dead ecus)
start car..pull parking brake. put car in (d) drive. just let car sit there and idle in drive until cooling fan comes on and shuts off. shut off car and restart. fixed mine thus far.

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still not fixed.
it just threw a code for p0650 which is for my cel. it dont work
it also threw code for maf. which i just replaced. again
now it still had the idle issues and i talked to a gm tech.(*******). he told me the converters were clogged. so i pulled the downpipes off tonightn and the cut the ends off of exhaust(so i could see into the convertors) and they look new. nothing clogged. welded em back together and put back on car. i am at my last nerve with this car. there are 2 sensore left tht i have not replaced. camshaft sensor and coolant sensor. i am not throwin code for either one.
my question is...can the camshaft sensor be bad and not throw a code?

and this is my other question. the mechanic told me to reset ecu..turn key to on position(do not start) leave key in that position for 3-4 minutes.turn key off and start car. idle prob should be fixed. anyone hear of this?
i will keep ya all updated

·
Registered
catera
449 Posts
Hey man.. it sounds SOOO much like the problem I just fixed LITTERALY!! it was outragious... I would pull up to stops and shut off.. the more sudden I lifted my foot off the gas the more likely to shut off..

IM me on yahoo or aim HGQGUY we can talk about it.. I can tell u what mine did.. It ended up being the purge valve on mine... cause all sorts or TPS misreads.. MAF misreads.. misfires.. cause fuel flow was going to wrong areas and the car was going crazy tring to lean it out.. causeing it to stall.. I have the low idle too!! drove me insane.. all seems to be fixed now!!!

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
23 Posts
UPDATE...CAR IS FIXED
turns out that unhooking battery terminal does not reset ecm. the car has to be hooked up to engine diagnostic scan tool to erase codes. my car was still in limp mode. i am back to loving my caddy again
hey bustah, thanks for tell us what to do. I have a friend who suffers from a similar problem, will send him the link to this thread.

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey man.. it sounds SOOO much like the problem I just fixed LITTERALY!! it was outragious... I would pull up to stops and shut off.. the more sudden I lifted my foot off the gas the more likely to shut off..

IM me on yahoo or aim HGQGUY we can talk about it.. I can tell u what mine did.. It ended up being the purge valve on mine... cause all sorts or TPS misreads.. MAF misreads.. misfires.. cause fuel flow was going to wrong areas and the car was going crazy tring to lean it out.. causeing it to stall.. I have the low idle too!! drove me insane.. all seems to be fixed now!!!
will i get a check engine light if the purge valve is bad? and where is the best place to buy this?

·
Registered
catera
449 Posts
no check engine light ever came on for me.. BTW my catera went into limp mode today. .. is there a reset sequence?

·
Registered
catera
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no check engine light ever came on for me.. BTW my catera went into limp mode today. .. is there a reset sequence?
take the positive batery terminal off...touch that bat. terminal on the neg. post of the battery. put terminal back on battery. turn ignition key to on position but do not start it. leave it in that position for 3-5 min. turn key off. then start car. that clears the ecu

not rsponsible for accidents!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts