Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Catera Sport
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Catera sport. 153000kms.
After one night leaving a friend's house I did a hard acceleration, engine light started to flash indicating a misfire. When I got home hooked up the scanner got cylinder 2 & 4 codes. So went to the local auto wreckers got a very "new" looking coil from a 00 Saturn after the pack from the Catera they had was in as bad shape as my original. Got it for $20 went home put it in with new plugs on that whole side put everything back together and she fired up. Idled fine for 10 mins or so, went for a drive to get air in one tire and then went for a test drive. Had her up to 160 without issue, seemed to respond better as well. Next day hand washed the car and gave the engine a spray with the hose (have done this before on the 98 also my father in law does as well) for no more than 30 seconds. Wiped down hoses and such drying everything up. Next morning started car and it was immediately misfiring and pretty bad too, scanned it only cylinder 4 misfire came back. So took everything back apart n re gapped the plug on cylinder 4 as it was off slightly as well as cleaned all connections with electric connection cleaner. Put it all back together again and it runs fine again but the computer still says it's misfiring but it is not acting like it is. Have no engine light, no stumbling, no hesitation. Engine runs very strong but soon as I clear code it comes back.
Any suggestions on what to check or look into?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changed out coil with another used from a 2001 Catera, and it's still misfiring in cyl 4?. This coil looks even newer than the last used one I got but still misfired and right away too. Started it ran fine for a min maybe hooked up scanner and it had a current misfire code that quick. I'm starting to think something else is making the car misfire, I'm gonna check all around for vac leaks but other than that I'm stumped. Anybody have any input, I mean anything I don't want to have over looked something thanks I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
This is a pure wild guess but could it be one of the cam or crank position sensors? They are part of the ignition system and one of them could be flakey. Since the ECU uses their input to time the spark I think they're worth a look.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a pure wild guess but could it be one of the cam or crank position sensors? They are part of the ignition system and one of them could be flakey. Since the ECU uses their input to time the spark I think they're worth a look.
Ya i was at the wreckers yesterday and forgot to grab those off the car. I'm goin back on my next day off I'll grab them. Right now I have the MAF unplugged seeing if The misfire goes away. Also gunna check for vac leaks. Thanks Elvin I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Good idea regarding the MAF. I had a misfire a couple of years ago. Turned out to be the coils. Since you've tried that already I rule it out. Hope you find the problem without digging too deep into your pocket. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea regarding the MAF. I had a misfire a couple of years ago. Turned out to be the coils. Since you've tried that already I rule it out. Hope you find the problem without digging too deep into your pocket. Good luck.
Ya, I don't want to buy a new coil if I don't have to but will if need be. When I unplugged the maf after car sat for half hour after I put the second coil and it was still misfiring, when I started the car the rough idle and shakiness pretty much went right away and idled fine except the jumpy rpm Gage from havin no maf plugged in. Hopefully it's the maf and I can either clean it or just get used one from wreckers.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Another thought. It might be a clogged or faulty fuel injector. Try switching the #4 injector for the #1 and see if the code follows it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thought. It might be a clogged or faulty fuel injector. Try switching the #4 injector for the #1 and see if the code follows it.
Ok man thanks, I was thinking if there was a way of doing that to see if it does follow but I'm stumped on doing that. Will figure it out I'm sure lol. Any suggestions? Gunna start searching the forum now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts