Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the official 0-60 is for the 3.6? I want to know if it's worth me trading in my 03 for an 04 with the 3.6

Dan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Regardless of that, would you really want to go upside-down on the trade-in? I'm gonna go out on a limb, but I'll guess that you owe more on the current CTS than the trade-in value. Just some food for thought.

The best I could find is a Car & Driver article that guessed that the 0-60 time would be around 6.8 secs.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=6870

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaggygrosser said:
Regardless of that, would you really want to go upside-down on the trade-in? I'm gonna go out on a limb, but I'll guess that you owe more on the current CTS than the trade-in value. Just some food for thought.

The best I could find is a Car & Driver article that guessed that the 0-60 time would be around 6.8 secs.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=41&article_id=6870
actually i found one that did 6.4 sec

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I feel like cadillac screwed all those people who are loyal cadillac fans and went out and bought the cts.....but really its not worth the trade....maybe later ill do a huge engine swap or a supercharger

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUILDINGCTSAMG said:
I feel like cadillac screwed all those people who are loyal cadillac fans and went out and bought the cts.....but really its not worth the trade....maybe later ill do a huge engine swap or a supercharger
I have been reading both pros and cons to the new engine. Apparently a few people at Popular Mechanics feel the 3.2 has more zip to it. There is an issue coming that will have a blurb on the new 3.6 engine, and in there one of the drivers calls the 3.2 more peppy.

It's amazing how bare the aftermarket is. I am not sure you will have too many people building superchargers for the 3.2 if there are like 50,000 of them on the road. They will probably focus on the 3.6.

In either case, I will probably wait 2-3 years and buy the CTS-V. It's amazing what kind of deals you can get on Escalades now in comparison to 2 years ago. I feel the same will happen with the CTS-V.

I can buy a new 2003 Escalade for 42k - fully loaded (no navigation). List is 57k. So Pretty sure the CTS-V will be in the same ball park in 2-3 years - at least I hope so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't hold out too much hope that the CTS-V is going to get the same kind of incentive packages as you're seeing on high production models. Even once the dealers stop gouging the customers with hikes on the stickers, GM is keeping this a low production vehicle. We'll see how the value holds up on used CTS-V's in a few years, but I wouldn't expect to be driving new ones off the lot with rebates.

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
CadillacDan said:
Anyone know what the official 0-60 is for the 3.6? I want to know if it's worth me trading in my 03 for an 04 with the 3.6

Dan
The 3.2 is what it is - a 3.2. That said, the thing just seems to get faster as the miles pile on. It was really tight under 6,000 miles, but now (at 12,000 miles) revs happily at a level it couldn't touch before 6,000. I've owned a lot of cars, but I never had one that was as tight and reluntant to rev as the CTs when new. I was considering an 04, but I drove one and can't see the performance differenct to justify it at this point.

Those that are disappointed - wait until it's good and broken in and use a good synthetic oil before you do anything really expensive. BTW - a catback doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CadillacDan said:

Dan
The speed difference may be small in the 0-60mph range, but from the guys at the plant that had the 3.2's out on buisness trips, they say that the 3.6 has a lot more overall responsiveness.

You also have to remember that the 3.6 is a brand new production technology and here the 3.2 doesn't compare. Tolerances are in the microns and everything imaginable angle and dimension is checked for spec. I've been involved in engine manufacture for over 30 years and I've never seen anything like this baby.

Anyway I get to test drive mine next week :bouncy:

Dan(speeder)

·
Registered
111 Posts
CadillacDan said:
Dan
What increase in 0-60 time do you feel is worth the trade in? I would doubt
it is much better than 0.5 secs. If you feel you want the 3.6, wait until
the '05 MY when the interior gets upgraded.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 0-60 time may not be much better, but the increased torque and flatness of the torque curve make the vehicle much more responsive at every speed. The 3.6L is much more fun to drive, I would trade in the 3.2 in a heartbeat. Take a test drive and decide for yourself.

By the way, there is no interior upgrade for '05. The CTS does not see a new interior until '07 or possibly as early as '06.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts