Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
update: new pump installed. carter brand. 62 psi. having a very hard time getting the locking ring the full way into lock.

will be attempting to use an air hammer very gently to persuade that locking ring around.

i opted for the “hatch” door method.

It would have been much easier had i made a much larger hatch.

truck sounded very different idling. will clear codes and see what happens if the dual bank lean codes reoccur.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
haha. yeah all good.

what should have been a small routine job on my lift has turned into a brutal POS job involving smashing my knuckles with a mini sledge.

never again will i opt to take the “shortcut” bubba route. i knew this. been there done that. bought a lift.

we recently moved and i havnt had time to set it up and instead of simply waiting i now have a perfectly clean esv with a hole cut in the floor and a [email protected]&$ lockring that simply will not lock into the detents.

without a nice hz strike angle, the new pump simply will not allow the lock ring to get under the crimp and into the seated detent location.

ive ordered two tools. the lisle 63000 and then another “universal” lockring spanner type tool that hook onto a torque wrench or breaker bar.

im super pi$$ed at myself for attempting the bs hack method but whats done is done. i will rivet the floor back together and treat the seam with an asphalt type coating and replace it with the asphalt backed sound deadner.

Then ill install my lift!!!!! this bubba stuff is for the birds

if anyone attempts this “trapdoor” method, make the trapdoor at least 12”x12” and i will report back on how well these universal tools work. the smash bang clang with a screw driver WILL put grit into your tank and turn your simple job into a go gongshow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well, after that venting ^ i picked up the "universal" fuel tank lock ring spanner wrench by lisle part 63000 and it did not work. i couldn't get the ridges to slider under the crimps to land into the detent.

i then pulled the new pump, put the old fubar pump back in, just to see if i could get that seated....i couldn't.

which didn't make much sense because i had pulled it off by striking at roughly 45 degrees and it did come out. again....if anyone tries the hatch method...be sure to make at least a 12 x 12 inch access hole. mine at 8x8 is too small to get a proper strike angle for the lock ring.

anyway, in the end, the ONLY way to get it to seat was to begin slowly filing down the ridges on the lock ring. which i did and it works fine.

im glad this is behind me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
continuing along on the sorting of our new to us 05 esv...

new code: knock sensor low voltage

just had a code pop up for knock sensor. this is a job i heard was common during our prior 06 denali ownership but i never had to carry out.

my understanding is that its under the intake manifold? its bank 2 i think.

So i was going to order some ks’s and plan out that repair which i am thinking will be far easier and a whole lot less dangerous and smelly than the fuel pump was!!!!

any tips?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts