Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum here.. didn’t see anything posted on this topic. This does not only pertain to Cadillac but to any GM big block with a mechanical fuel pump

I was out for a late night ride with my girlfriend when the car died and would not crank over. The lights went off and when trying to start again it was completely dead. Turned out to be a frayed battery cable which I noticed and replaced myself now the car has a strong connection. I thought this would solve my issue but apparently not.

About a week later I was driving uphill slightly and the car stalled again but this time the car had lights and was able to be be restarted easily, then drove fine the rest of the way home.. thinking this may be a fuel pump issue

Alternator is pushing 13.9v with headlights on which is good. battery alone is pushing about 12.2v which isn’t great. The engine turns over strongly and I do not believe this problem is related to the charging system. BTW I replaced the fuel pump on the engine about 4 years ago.. have barely put 2500 miles on the car since then. Also did a carB rebuild 3 months ago with new fuel filter. Anything else I could possibly be Or is there something I am missing entirely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,442 Posts
Which car, year, engine ? It makes a lot of difference.

A fully charged lead-acid car battery should show 12.6 volts.

Welcome Aboard !!!

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,733 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had years and years ago. The car would starve for gas going up a hill and sometime stall. What it turned out to be was a pin hole in the gas line. Not big enough to leave spots on the ground because the pin hole was at the highest piont of the line going over the rear end. So I would inspect every inch of the gas line for a wet spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s the 500ci engine... 1976 eldorado.

I will closely inspect my fuel line from the tank to the pump. I actually put a new carb to pump steel line when I did my carb... connections were done with some Teflon tape and don’t seem to be leaking. If it does in fact turn out to be the pump I will be shocked as it was replaced fairly recently.. although you can never be too sure with today’s quality of parts.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,442 Posts
Thanks for the update - weird failure. Did you just stumble across the loose electrical connector ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts