84 Fleetwood shift bowl
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 Fleetwood shift bowl in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone ever replaced one of these shift bowls on the steering column? It appears 2 of the clips on ...
    DB2Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '84 Eldorado and Seville

84 Fleetwood shift bowl

Has anyone ever replaced one of these shift bowls on the steering column?
    It appears 2 of the clips on mine are broken off.
    There is a clip with a wire connected to the shift selector indicator attached to this bowl.

I briefly looked in the service manual to see if you can unbolt the steering column from
    the support and the shaft in the engine compartment and pull it out but it appears maybe
    not so.

Duct tape solution? LOL Do they make brown 3M tape?

zz00ShiftBowl.jpg Shift Bowl 001.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

DB2Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '84 Eldorado and Seville

Re: 84 Fleetwood shift bowl

I did some further reading in the service manual and the steering column can be pulled all intact. It looks to be somewhat easy to do. Probably easier with two people so that the shaft doesn't get bent when unbolted from the support. It appears you disconnect the wiring, parking brake release tube, disconnect the shift linkage. Unbolt it from the support and lift it out.

By the look of the bowl on mine it appears maybe the dash trim might have been pushing against it since the paint is rubbed off. Someone had the dash trim off before it looked like to me since a couple of trim screws were missing. Another GM design flaw.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in