Power Door Lock Malfuntion.. Locked into vehicle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Power Door Lock Malfuntion.. Locked into vehicle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    buffalodiesel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): fleetwood brougham sedan RWD

Power Door Lock Malfuntion.. Locked into vehicle

Hello fellow Cadillac Enthusiasts:

92 4 door Brougham Elegance.. only 13,000 original miles.

Well.. this is the story.

Ok unlock driver door .. step in.. close door.. press down lock lever for all doors. Operate vehicle as normal. Stop vehicle.. put gear lever in park.. turn off ignition.. Pull out key. Then press/hit the unlock lever to unlock all doors….

NOW THE RECURRING PROBLEM… IT UNLOCKS ALL DOORS EXCEPT THE DRIVER’S DOOR… SO I HAVE TO PUT KEY BACK INTO IGNITION … THEN ROLL DOWN DRIVER SIDE WINDOW.. REMOVE KEY FROM IGNITION …. THEN MANUALLY UNLOCK THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR ..from outside of the vehicle... Then put key back in ignition to ROLL BACK UP WINDOW.... it traps me in the car… so I cannot exit the vehicle

Also manually moving the individual door lock up or down...has no effect.. Restarting car.. moving gear lever up and down.. putting in neutral...etc.... NOTHING WORKS.. to unlock the driver door ……. except rolling down the window and sticking the key in the door...… A BIT INCONVENIENT.....

YET….. THE OTHER THREE DOOR UNLOCK AS THEY SHOULD….

Writing $$$$ to the Cadillac dealer has not cured this problem.

Been doing this for years…. Finally I have had enough.. love the car ”why not”
    But this is sort of a safety issue. If I had to bail out as a result of an accident, I am locked in and if the electric system died… I could not roll down the window.

Does not happen all the time but about 90% of the time…Well.. this is the story.

VR
    Happy but frustrated Owner...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

cadillac_al2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

Re: Power Door Lock Malfuntion.. Locked into vehicle

The lock solenoid won't unlock the door but the key will? I'd say it's time to look inside the door panel. It could just be gummed up and too hard for the lock solenoid to move it or something is tweaked/bent. It should be pretty obvious if you can watch it not working.

DB2Guy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '84 Eldorado and Seville

I was researching why my '90 Fleetwood Brougham doors wouldn't unlock when I put it into park all of the time. My problem was not putting it all the way into park to trigger the unlock switch. Anyhow it seems the lock mechanisms are controlled by a circuit board located on the passenger side I believe behind the trim just below the glove box where the trash bin is at. I didn't go digging around looking for it.

I wonder if your problem is that circuit board. That's what triggers the lock solenoids to activate. You might be able to take circuit readings on the output to the door before tearing into the door itself. If a signal goes out then it is probably the solenoid in the door failing.

I suppose the Cadillac stealership wanted to sell u a new car since they can't fix it. Typical modus operandi.

LV_Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Member

First guess is a linkage came off if you can't manually move the lock from the inside.
    The door panel needs to come off to do some investigating.

If you're not comfortable with doing that find a local shop.
    it's probably not a too big of a deal to fix.

Good comment.... well... it probably is not the "unlock switch" since the other 3 doors unlock as it should... and the button on the driver's door pops up... but stays locked... I later remembered and located the GM factory manual I purchased years ago... and will admit.. that it is quite an involved circuit.. and yes you are correct about the circuit board. Since all three doors unlock... it is something else.
    Also when I manually put the key into the drivers door and turn it and wait.... all doors unlock.
    This problem needs a bit more thought before I start taking things apart...
    The manual is some help...in that is shows how complicated the wiring and servo puzzle is.... holly cow.
    VR

LV_Caddy
    Thanks for the comments.... Never taken the door off a Cadillac. Only and old Chevrolet.. and need a special tool to get the handle off...m
    If you have removed a door..panel? Any suggestions? I think you are correct since all the other doors act as they should... unlocking when I move the gear shift on the column.. Or use the slide button on the arm rest. Any guidance would be appreciated. I do not think it is the electric circuit or mysterious wiring.. since the other 3 doors work as expected.
    VR
    buffalodiesel

Well.... all dealers are the same... I will admit.. these young mechanics only seem to know how to read a digital screen and then replace a part indicated by a computer screen that might only be wrong because of a loose wire... I fond the factory manual I purchased many years ago... Incredible the complexity of this circuit.
    Last year I had an engine light... the code said... fuel pump bad yet the Cadillac started and ran just fine.. I told them even after paying labor to just leave it alone.. dug into the manual and found that a temp sensor on the air clear could also trip the code.. Plugged in the wire and poof the code was gone... Was the mechanic dishonest. I do not think so. they are only taught to follow the codes... I bet there is not one manual in any Cadillac dealer's repair shop. Experienced mechanics have disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalodiesel View Post
    LV_Caddy
    Thanks for the comments.... Never taken the door off a Cadillac. Only and old Chevrolet.. and need a special tool to get the handle off...m
    If you have removed a door..panel? Any suggestions? I think you are correct since all the other doors act as they should... unlocking when I move the gear shift on the column.. Or use the slide button on the arm rest. Any guidance would be appreciated. I do not think it is the electric circuit or mysterious wiring.. since the other 3 doors work as expected.
    VR
    buffalodiesel
    You might check eBay for a Fisher body manual. I'm not sure if there is even one for a '92. I didn't find one myself. GM might have moved the door panel removal instructions to the service manual by '92.

Seems like I found the circuit board for my '90 in the parts manual someplace. Where now baffles me. I can try to find the one for the '92.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)

Something is either stuck, gummed up or not connected correctly. You will probably have to take the inner door panel off.

You can always try working the switch dozens of times to loosen things up a bit.

YES...
    You are unfortunately correct . I have juggled the lock button... but no luck. Removing the door panel is the next step. I have to figure out how to do it gently since it is still a beautiful vehicle. Relay system is working with the other three doors … so it probably is not the wiring system.. since doors unlock when moving shift lever to park..
    VR

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in