1994 FWB Optispark replaced , and won't start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
  • 1 Post By soy_chingon13
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1994 FWB Optispark replaced , and won't start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham ran fine , found it leaking slowly out of my water pump. So ordered a ...
    Patroll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1994 FWB Optispark replaced , and won't start

My 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham ran fine , found it leaking slowly out of my water pump. So ordered a water pump ,Optispark, and a harmonic balancer . replaced all the parts and it wouldn't start. I left it alone came back my son had started it , and drove it about 30 feet so we could flush out the radiator, via heater hose line. We did have a small leak around the thermostat hosing ,because I removed it for my first flushing, drained the water added radiator flush and was started with flush you buy , was going to put a few miles on it flush it again . Then wash it out , fill with antifreeze. PROBLEM : car just shut off and want start, its more than likely the spark , or the new cheap Optispark any help here? May have gotten a small amount of water on it, but not a lot. A little water shouldn't affect it , because a big puddle could do worse.Any tips maybe try to see if I'm getting fire?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS SportWagon

Re: Optispark replaced , and want start

Cheap optis are a known bad spot. Take it off, put the old one back on. Do a cap and rotor if you want, or, just open it and clean it. Likely zero coolant in it, it's a sealed unit. My water pump leaked on my opti for two years before the pump bearing blew all the bearings out the back. Had to change it then, lol. Opti still works fine, 15 years later.
    silverfox103 likes this.

Well tested it and has no spark, I did notice the 4 wire connector was severely twisted going to the ignition control module by the coil .With the two inner wires showing . Will check continuity to see if they are touching inside . Yes ran fine, bought a cheap $50.00 one off eBay, because doing the water pump and opened a can of worms . Probably got a bad one.

soy_chingon13 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

$50 Opti?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    silverfox103 likes this.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn

I hope you really didn't expect a $50 Opti to do the job? Do what Jay said.

Tom

Re: 1994 FWB Optispark replaced , and won't start

Well here's the verdict . I removed the new China made Optispark , and noticed the plastic cover/plate under the rotor button had a small crack in it allowing a spark to shot thru it. It had a grayish/black residue on that crack. . So gentleman , I put to new O-rings on the shaft and got a new cap and rotor button and listened to Joe. Thanks my friends on here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in