AC Recharging Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, AC Recharging Help in Cadillac Engine Discussion; I am having trouble getting past my compressor disabled warning. I am trying to recharge a 95 SLS AC system. ...
    dboncio99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 SLS, 2001 STS, 2001 Eldorado ETC, 2010 CTS, 2012 SRX

Question AC Recharging Help

I am having trouble getting past my compressor disabled warning. I am trying to recharge a 95 SLS AC system. I have checked the forum and tried to clear codes etc but was not able to clear it. WHat is proper sequence to clear this code when refrigerant low message appears?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: AC Recharging Help

HIGH FAN = yes and LOW FAN = no. After codes are displayed I think you will see "PCM?". Answer no to that and any other prompts til you see "CLEAR CODES?". Then answer yes.

OK, that is exactly what I did last night, but for some reason I still got the very low refrigerant error. I even had the recharge bottle in place and open hoping that it could help the system turn on. But I just get the error and the compressor will not come on. Any ideas?

Codes must be cleared first. Then hook up the refrigerant can and hold it upside down to service as a liquid when the A/C is turned on. This should allow the compressor to draw in sufficient refrigerant before the low pressure switch trips again. Sounds as though you are doing it correctly. Are you sure you cleared the codes?

Loose screw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 concourse, 99 sts

You could cheat and diconnect the low sensor wires and temporarilyshort the connection with a jump wire and see if the compressor will even run. If it does let it take the can and then reconnect the low sensor. Maybe your sensor is bad ? Or you may have a big leak some where so you will never have enough presure.

Do you have a gage to tell you what the presure you really do have in your system? If it is at 0 you may have a good sensor and a blown hose or seal. I would think getting the pressure up or bypassing the sensor temporarilywould allow the code to go to history and not stop the compressor from running. But I don't know that for sure - just a gusse but use a gage.

Well, I got through this last night. The code for the "very low refrigerant" is in the APC list and each seperate list, PCM, APC, TPC etc must be cleared individually, which now I know. Once I cleared this, the compressor came on and I could add the refridgerant no problem, Cold A/C again! THanks for the help!

Ah, that splaines it. On mine I get a CLEAR ALL CODES? prompt. I forgot that the older ones had to be cleared seperately. Glad you got it figured out.

rollman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

Quote Originally Posted by dboncio99
    Well, I got through this last night. The code for the "very low refrigerant" is in the APC list and each seperate list, PCM, APC, TPC etc must be cleared individually, which now I know. Once I cleared this, the compressor came on and I could add the refridgerant no problem, Cold A/C again! THanks for the help!

Did you have to clear all codes in PCM , APC and TPC ? Before you could get the compressor to run ?

I think the "Low Refrigerant" warning is a body code on the OBDI cars so you at least have to clear those.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in