92 Deville runs rough. See pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
HT4100 4.1, 4.5, 4.9 Discussion, 92 Deville runs rough. See pics in Cadillac Engine Discussion; Working on a 92 Cadillac DeVille. Mileage is less than 180000 I would estimate. I was replacing alternator on it ...
    dtnel78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville 4.9

92 Deville runs rough. See pics

Working on a 92 Cadillac DeVille. Mileage is less than 180000 I would estimate. I was replacing alternator on it for a friend and noticed, I'm not sure if it's the fuel pressure regulator or the EGR. I'm thinking it's the EGR with no line attached. It was just behind the alternator and there's an electrical device that looks like it's missing a line as well. My guess would be that these are tied together somehow. I think I also got in the pictures some of the wiring. If you look at the wiring you will notice some of it has been taped up in the past. I'm trying to figure out what this can do.

I can't find my old threads from before but I remember when I would snap the throttle on that he would hear kind of a knock a clunk at the rear of the engine closer to the firewall like something was loose and then engaging. Basically two different things but it also makes me wonder if they could be related. Anyways any all help is appreciated as I'm going to head over and finish the alternator up as I had to go run some errands.

I also have to do a post about the blower motor because he said it was making a bunch of noise and I know it has the digital control inside or as I say the electronic and I wanted to make sure that the resistor was good on that so I will try to figure out where to post electrical questions for the interior of the vehicle and also figure out where the blower motor is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Re: 92 Deville runs rough. See pics

Got it figured out. EGR and EGR solenoid. Figured it was EGR on the valve.

Now I need to figure out how to test the Deville's EGR system.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The EGR solenoid should provide no vacuum at idle. Run the RPM up and hold it there and it should then provide vacuum.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Thread has been moved from Northstar forum to the 4.9 engines forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The EGR solenoid should provide no vacuum at idle. Run the RPM up and hold it there and it should then provide vacuum.
    Would that cause flooding symptoms, bogging down, all around bad drivability issues ? Also see my latest update as I'll be heading over tonight and want to nix this and basically be done with it as it's been a thorn in my side. Some of it's my diagnostic approach to it, owner wants to drive it if it'll drive even if still not running right which don't give me anytime to work on it till it's dead which is the case now.

Now I need to formulate a diagnostic approach and figure out what I am going to check on this, what should be checked and what I should not mess with. Would it be nice to do a video? Sure but I don't want to look like a fool either. Maybe I should do each check until I get it all figured out then do a video as I'm sure based on my search for information it would help a lot of users out there still driving these engines down the road.

OK haven't been able to get ahold of this vehicle lately. The owner called me up this morning and I will look at it this evening. He did say with the controller for the HVAC system he can adjust if it's in the floor run defrost in the temperature but he can't adjust the speed

If my memory serves me correct you have to use that same controller to pull the codes? As I've said before I normally don't deal with OBD 1 and I know plugging into the vehicle isn't possible with my adapter configuration based on the fact that it's down low in the center of the floorboard. I will need to look at it and see if I even have the proper connector to adapt to my OBD adapter and if it's even possible because I know my five OBD scan tools are all OBD2 so I would have to use the method that's described in the sticky

So onto the vehicle the owner said he went and put 3 gallons of premium gasoline in it yesterday and went for a drive and it started acting up. He said when they were on their way back it was so bad that they were hobbling along and cars were passing them left and right because they couldn't get their speed up. He said that according to the fuel system it's using way more fuel than normal.

I asked him if it seems like it's flooding or when he presses the throttle if it bogs down and he said yes he also said it seems like the floodgates have open when you press the accelerator.

I told him I did figure out after the fact from pictures I had posted last time in a thread on this forum I believe that the throttle body was pointed out by somebody as needing cleaning. If I didn't post it here it was probably over on scannerdanner.com forums as I know I posted about the vehicle there as well.

With him describing the term the floodgates opened it makes me wonder if it could be a throttle position sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, bad EGR valve or bad EGR solenoid.

Being that the injectors were replaced by a shop that had it for 2 weeks and that was the only thing they said they could find at the time the injectors have been replaced so those can be ruled out given they put the correct size ones in there which I'm sure they did but why would they replace all the injectors and still not fix the issue.

The owner did mention that after I replace the alternator it seemed to have ran fine for about the first 24- 48 hours and it's had slight bogging and hesitation especially at higher speeds until it gradually got worse yesterday. He did also say that if you put your foot down on the throttle it going it seems like it wants to backfire but it doesn't backfire but he said it sounds like it's going to.

This vehicle is from a time. That I'm not very familiar with but I'm slowly learning about.

I think I'm going to check for a fuel filter and if it has one replace it. I wonder if there is restricted flow or even reduced pressure.

On this type of Cadillac How would one check the fuel pressure regulator on it and is there any special quick connects or anything like that to check the fuel pressure?

I don't have access to Alldata or other repair sources for this other than online stuff.

If anyone sees any symptoms that they've dealt with on this before and could get me pointed in the proper direction whether it be a multi-step approach or a single step check this type of approach definitely respond and let me know I would appreciate it.

Frustrated! with myself as I try to stay updated with the latest and current 2001 Danelle and I try to stay away from these older models but it's hard to say no when it's a friend and he keeps bugging you. If I could just fix it then I could just be able to charge him because you can't charge somebody for something you can't fix. That's the approach I've always taken.

I do have a Snap-On component tester but at the same time I don't have the ability to hook up to the OBD one because my wireless compact scan module with the OBD1 adapter will not fit into the scan port. I don't know what OBD1 Snap-on ports I would need to convert to an OBD2 scan module because in a rush to hook things up initially I didn't realize it was already one. I guess I will just have to get the codes the old school way fingers crossed and see what they say then look them up on my scan tool and see what test I can do with the component tester.

I have a vacuum gauge, I have a vacuum gauge gun to create a vacuum, I have the built inoscilloscope on one of my scan tools with the component tester, I have a plethora of other tools available as well so if you think there's something I should test throw it out there and if I don't have the tool I will respond back and we can go a different route. I do have a fuel pressure test kit, I have just a standard fuel pressure gauge Turn Only the Quick Connect ones for today's modern vehicles but I would think there's some type of adaptation we can do to measure the fuel pressure.

I've got some specialty tools and I haven't even used yet I just figured I would need them eventually. I do have a Picoscope which if there's something I could learn from this with the Picoscope as I've always held myself back from breaking it out because of my lack of experience with it. I've been doing more reading and watching lately especially on Pico scope videos and am starting to realize that once you learn the basics it can actually be quicker for maybe if not quicker give you a more proven result by being able to prove the test you're doing, prove that the component is bad, prove that the new component is good. I do have the pulse pressure sensor as well so this could definitely be a learning lesson for me as I'm always open to learning more.

Sorry about all the rambling but wanted to show that I want to learn this. Some stuff I know and some stuff I forget and some stuff well I just don't know. Willing to learn though.

I'm sure I'll have a "Oh now I remember that moment" over this vehicle. With all the trans cooler line leaks, power steering leaks I'm surprised they didn't send it down the road awhile back.

I guess what keeps me coming back to this is I know once he gets his pickup fixed this vehicle will go back to his mother and she's an older lady that needs this vehicle and that's where my Line in the Sand is normally because when it comes to the elderly I will pretty much tell them you pay for the parts and I will take care of the labor or we can figure something out. Her son who's been driving it doesn't know this which is good because he'd probably say everything is for his mom.

I know this car has been to 2 full time shops and I just do this stuff as a hobby more so to speak. Given the money that the shops have charged which I don't know the full extent of the amount they've charged but the fact that they haven't fixed the issue I would love to be the guy along with the community out there of you fellow Gearheads that gets this fixed because it's moments like that which get me thinking that this is why we do what we do because of our frustrations with dealerships, shops that don't always choose to do it right which is the case with this vehicle.

Any ideas, suggestions or anything like that please by all means let me know

Latest update. Rather than type twice I put link where I've been posting on it as well.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...0&share_type=t

1992 Cadillac Deville 122,700 miles , EGR & EGR Solenoid Troubleshooting

cadillac_al2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

I guess it ended up being a clogged catalytic converter verified by a wacky vacuum gauge reading.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in