Instructions needed for adding a CD player into my 2017 XTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jeffpaletz
  • 2 Post By ccclarke
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Instructions needed for adding a CD player into my 2017 XTS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I understand a CD player can be installed into the glove box of the 2017 XTS. I have the premium ...
    jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2017 XTS, 2017 XT5

Instructions needed for adding a CD player into my 2017 XTS

I understand a CD player can be installed into the glove box of the 2017 XTS. I have the premium version of the car and I am pretty handy and good with technology. Does anyone know what part number the CD player is and if it comes with the needed cable/wiring and hardware to install it into the glove box and connect it to the CUE system? I see on Ebay some are saying that part number 23208181 is correct, though others say it's not. Has anyone here done this on their own?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

artscadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury

Re: Instructions needed for adding a CD player into my 2017 XTS

Also look in the ATS + CTS forums. There have been topics about doing it. I have not done it.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS Premium

I found this info on GM Parts websites - planning to put one in my 16 XTS Premium - RPO - WCN LPO, CD Optical. I was going to have dealer do it later. Costs $250.

buzz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium, 2016 Acadia Denali

I have a CD player in the glove box and have yet to use it. I took all my CDs and using iTunes, loaded them on a memory stick, AKA flash drive, and with 450 plus tunes, I plugged it into one of the USB slots and presto, better than CDs. Sound is good, you can actually use the voice commands to select a tune (I don't, but I'm told you can), and using the random mode for playback as I did in previous cars with CD changers, it works pretty much flawlessly.

The process was easy, and there are plenty of help sites you can use if you need help. I am nowhere near an audio genius, and I was able to do the job in just a couple hours; or at least iTunes on my MacBook Pro did. Of course, you will need a CD slot on your computer. A lot of newer units no longer come with one, a bad thing I think...

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Same here.

I've got an unused CD player in the glove box. I took my entire collection of CDs (0ver 300) and converted them on iTunes to download to an iPod which lives as a recluse in the compartment under the CUE faceplate. And yes, voice commands for calling up a song (or artist) works flawlessly. The album art displayed on CUE and the Instrument Panel is also nice.

I placed a full box of all my CDs box in the lobby at work, with a "FREE!" sign on it. They were gone by the end of the day. CDs have gone the way of cassettes, so it's no wonder Cadillac hides a ($300 optional) single disk CD player in the glove box. They'll be extinct on new cars in the very near future.

CCC

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2017 XTS, 2017 XT5

I did what you did with my first XTS in 2013. I converted all my songs in Itunes to MP3 files so the album art work would show up. I've got about 2600 songs on my USB memory stick. I still like having a CD player for occasional use. I may just pay the dealer to install one. He said it would be $316 for the CD player and installation. It only takes a few minutes to install.

I got my new XTS yesterday and I love it. The CUE system works great especially compared to 2015 and earlier. It responds very fast and works the way it should have. It's too bad it took them 4 years to put a powerful enough processor into the system to get it to respond properly.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Congrats on your new XTS!

CCC

buzz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium, 2016 Acadia Denali

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz View Post
    I got my new XTS yesterday and I love it. The CUE system works great especially compared to 2015 and earlier. It responds very fast and works the way it should have. It's too bad it took them 4 years to put a powerful enough processor into the system to get it to respond properly.
    A big thumbs up to you!

m_eaton53 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Instructions for adding a CD player to an XTS.

I just did this yesterday... it turns out that 90% of it is what you would do to change the cabin air filter.
    I would strongly suggest that you also do that while you are in there.

This thread popped up #1 for me on a Google search of this subject, so I'll post the procedure here to make it easy to find.

Tools required: Phillips screwdriver, nut driver (small socket, not sure of the size), Torx driver (you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver and vise grips if you don’t have this… that’s what I did) needle nose pliers.

1. Open the glove box door and remove everything stashed in there.

2. Remove the soft-drop lanyard on the left side of the glove box door by gently lifting the door up a half inch, and pull the lanyard sideways toward the center of the car just above where its loop is attached. It will be under tension, but don’t worry, it won’t disappear inside the glove box. Gently let it retract toward the glove box and the loop will end up hanging out of the hole it retracts inside of.

3. Simultaneously pull the hard stop tabs from their curved slots located on either side of the glove box door inwards to allow the door to fully swing downwards. This allows access to the screws to be removed in step 5.

4. Remove the screw located above the front of the CD player, securing the shelf to the top of the glove box with the Phillips screwdriver.

5. Remove the two screws located just below the CD player shelf with the nut driver.

6. Grasp the lower lip of the shelf and pull rearward. The shelf is retained by six spring clips on the rear, so it may take more force than expected to unseat them.

7. Gently allow the shelf to hang from the glove box. The CD connectors may be de-mated, but this isn’t required.

8. The air filter cover is located behind where the shelf resided. Grasp each side of the cover and gently pull the clips outwards to remove the cover.

9. The cabin air filter should be plainly visible. Note the downward pointing arrow, indicating the orientation of the filter when the replacement is installed. An L-shaped hook tool makes it easy to pull the air filter out if its firmly seated.

10. Inspect the cabin air filter receptacle for any debris. Remove with a vacuum cleaner if required.

11. Inspect the back of the cabin air filter cover, and clean if required using a stiff detailing brush or soap and water.

12. Install the new cabin air filter.

13. Install the cabin air filter cover. Note there are two alignment pins adjacent to the retaining clip on one side. Orient this side of the cover to the left (toward the car's centerline) when installing. Ensure both side retaining clips can be felt engaging.

These are the additional steps required to install a CD player:

1. Remove the cubby (two torx drive screws) that replaces the CD player when there isn't one.

2. Install the CD player in its place using the two screws that were holding the cubby.

3. Plug in the harness. There is a "do nothing" harness in the car's plug... take it out and plug in the CD player's harness.
    Plug the harness into the car first, then plug it into the CD player… it is just about impossible to plug the harness into the CD player and then the car.

4. Put everything back together and enjoy the music. Hint: Use needle nose pliers when you re-install the lanyard to the glove box door. It’s much easier.

The car will know that the CD player is there… it’s easy access though CUE.

If you look on the Fram website they provide a nice video on the removal and install of the cabin filter. Just in case I also got the panel popper tool in case I need it to remove the one pull out cable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by m_eaton53 View Post
    Instructions for adding a CD player to an XTS.

I just did this yesterday... it turns out that 90% of it is what you would do to change the cabin air filter.
    I would strongly suggest that you also do that while you are in there.

This thread popped up #1 for me on a Google search of this subject, so I'll post the procedure here to make it easy to find.

Tools required: Phillips screwdriver, nut driver (small socket, not sure of the size), Torx driver (you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver and vise grips if you don’t have this… that’s what I did) needle nose pliers.

1. Open the glove box door and remove everything stashed in there.

2. Remove the soft-drop lanyard on the left side of the glove box door by gently lifting the door up a half inch, and pull the lanyard sideways toward the center of the car just above where its loop is attached. It will be under tension, but don’t worry, it won’t disappear inside the glove box. Gently let it retract toward the glove box and the loop will end up hanging out of the hole it retracts inside of.

3. Simultaneously pull the hard stop tabs from their curved slots located on either side of the glove box door inwards to allow the door to fully swing downwards. This allows access to the screws to be removed in step 5.

4. Remove the screw located above the front of the CD player, securing the shelf to the top of the glove box with the Phillips screwdriver.

5. Remove the two screws located just below the CD player shelf with the nut driver.

6. Grasp the lower lip of the shelf and pull rearward. The shelf is retained by six spring clips on the rear, so it may take more force than expected to unseat them.

7. Gently allow the shelf to hang from the glove box. The CD connectors may be de-mated, but this isn’t required.

8. The air filter cover is located behind where the shelf resided. Grasp each side of the cover and gently pull the clips outwards to remove the cover.

9. The cabin air filter should be plainly visible. Note the downward pointing arrow, indicating the orientation of the filter when the replacement is installed. An L-shaped hook tool makes it easy to pull the air filter out if its firmly seated.

10. Inspect the cabin air filter receptacle for any debris. Remove with a vacuum cleaner if required.

11. Inspect the back of the cabin air filter cover, and clean if required using a stiff detailing brush or soap and water.

12. Install the new cabin air filter.

13. Install the cabin air filter cover. Note there are two alignment pins adjacent to the retaining clip on one side. Orient this side of the cover to the left (toward the car's centerline) when installing. Ensure both side retaining clips can be felt engaging.

These are the additional steps required to install a CD player:

1. Remove the cubby (two torx drive screws) that replaces the CD player when there isn't one.

2. Install the CD player in its place using the two screws that were holding the cubby.

3. Plug in the harness. There is a "do nothing" harness in the car's plug... take it out and plug in the CD player's harness.
    Plug the harness into the car first, then plug it into the CD player… it is just about impossible to plug the harness into the CD player and then the car.

4. Put everything back together and enjoy the music. Hint: Use needle nose pliers when you re-install the lanyard to the glove box door. It’s much easier.

The car will know that the CD player is there… it’s easy access though CUE.
    For Step 7, are you referring to the CD player connections that connect on the right side of the upper housing? How is the wiring connected? I didnt fool with it but it sure makes it difficult to fit the new filter in with this cable in the way. You kinda need 3 hands, with one to hold the CD unit up and out of the way.

There is a short cable that connects the CD player to the car.
    I'd just unplug it from the back of CD player so most of the glovebox and CD player can be removed and set aside.
    The cable itself shouldn't present much of an obstacle.

It turned out that since my car still has about 4 months of factory warraty left, I still have some complimentary service left.
    We brought it in for a no-start situation (apparently just loose connection near the battery, quickly repaired) and they performed it.
    That includes a new filter. Fortunately they saw that the car had a new filter and didn't discard it.
    So I already have a filter, plus the knowledge of how to install it. Next time it will not take long.

Duplicate.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in