Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By GFK
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I apologize if this is a duplicate post, I have seen similar discussions but they were for different models. I ...
    badasseville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium

Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium

I apologize if this is a duplicate post, I have seen similar discussions but they were for different models.

I have a 2013 XTS Premium w/ the adaptive suspension. She only has 31,000 miles, but I have this god awful knocking, clunking, hollow thud, type of sound coming from the front passenger side suspension. This sound happens at all speeds, but is car more noticeable under 45mph. Prior to visiting the forums, this seemed like the sway bar link had worn prematurely, and for $20 was an inexpensive to try. Unfortunately, this was not the root of my issue. There is an ATS discussion that references several possible causes and solutions, but nothing conclusive (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ow-speeds.html). Of course time wise my warranty has expired, but at only 31,000 miles the car is still basically new. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issues with their XTS, and if so, how they resolved it.

Thanks for your time,
    -John

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by badasseville View Post
    I apologize if this is a duplicate post, I have seen similar discussions but they were for different models.

I have a 2013 XTS Premium w/ the adaptive suspension. She only has 31,000 miles, but I have this god awful knocking, clunking, hollow thud, type of sound coming from the front passenger side suspension. This sound happens at all speeds, but is car more noticeable under 45mph. Prior to visiting the forums, this seemed like the sway bar link had worn prematurely, and for $20 was an inexpensive to try. Unfortunately, this was not the root of my issue. There is an ATS discussion that references several possible causes and solutions, but nothing conclusive (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ow-speeds.html). Of course time wise my warranty has expired, but at only 31,000 miles the car is still basically new. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issues with their XTS, and if so, how they resolved it.

Thanks for your time,
    -John
    I noticed a similar situation with my 2014 XTS at around 22K. I finally took the vehicle in around 46K, because I thought it was no way for the shocks\struts to be bad at 22k or so. Well, I was wrong. Both struts were replaced. The ride seems better, and the bottoming\hollow sound seems to be less noticeable.

Red33med is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

Re: Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium

I have something similar in my 2014 with 28000 miles in the rear passenger side. Seems to be the same thing.

BobsXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS 2014 Prem.

Re: Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium

Just had my rear passenger shock/strut replaced about two weeks ago. You could hear it with the radio off. Good to ride silent once in awhile to check the car...

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

This must be contagious. I've got a similar intermittent thudding sound on the right side that's suspension-related. I'll get it looked at the next time I go in for routine service.

CC

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

Mine too, kind of like a basketball bounce, over pavement irregularities that seems to go away after driving for a while. I'm hoping it's the 20" tires warming up.

osie59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Premium

JUst had my clunking repaired.It was the left front strut.Replaced under warranty. Rides like a new car now.I could not get them to replace the front pair under warranty.Only the left front as it was defective? 2014 XTS with 49200 at the time.

bigrimsuv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Re: Knocking/hollow sound in front suspension when going over bumbs. 2013 XTS Premium

I got a 2014 XTS had 28,000 miles and now 33,000 and it has a loud bang at every bump on the drivers side. One shop told me it was the strut mount so I had that replaced still didn't fix it. Now three shops have told me it's a weird part like a king pin I believe it's called and it's a cadillac only part. They say Cadillacs suspensions are a joke and there is no benefit to the design but to make you go to Cadillac for repairs. I have always been a big Cadillac guy but with this type of feedback and experience I think I'm going to sell it after only 7 months of owning it.

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

I can understand. It seems some people (companies) are out to make as much money as they can. I have been dealing with my HVAC system loosing Freon for the last couple of years. I had three different companies look at the systems. Each company has recommend replacement. I have an unit for upstairs and one for downstairs. The quotes range from 12K to 14K. I was in the process of having the systems replaced (22 years old). Then, a friend of my wife recommended a couple of Christian companies. The guy told me that there is a product on the market (like Fix Flat) that claims it will stop a leak in a system if it does not loose all of its Freon within a week. My system looses about a 1/2 in a year. So, I gave it a try. The stuff is about $65 if brought on-line. I paid about $150 or so for installation in each system. Time will tell if it will work. It has dye also. So, the leak should be able to be detected if the sealant does not work. Including Freon, I paid about $700 total. My point, some people may not explain all of the options available in the hope of making a dollar. I think GM (like most major companies) is concern with repeat business. By repeat, I am thinking about a calendar year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in