Vibration at idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Vibration at idle in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Had the car out yesterday for a short drive. On the way back home, I noticed a vibration at idle. ...
    Rsteph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 & '06 CTS's (traded), '14 XTS Lux (traded), '16 CTS4 Premium 2.0T (now)

Vibration at idle

Had the car out yesterday for a short drive. On the way back home, I noticed a vibration at idle. Doesn't seem to be there when driving, just idling (stopped). Not like the whole car shakes, but it is definitely noticeable. I won't know till the next time I drive it if it's still there or not. Anyway, anyone else experienced this? I found that there are lots of posts about vibration in other model forums but didn't see anything under XTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

jvcjbl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2019 XT5

Re: Vibration at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Rsteph View Post
    Had the car out yesterday for a short drive. On the way back home, I noticed a vibration at idle. Doesn't seem to be there when driving, just idling (stopped). Not like the whole car shakes, but it is definitely noticeable. I won't know till the next time I drive it if it's still there or not. Anyway, anyone else experienced this? I found that there are lots of posts about vibration in other model forums but didn't see anything under XTS.
    I was in a 2016 CTS 2.0T and that thing had a very rough idle for a brand new car. Granted it had the auto start/stop so when it kicked back on it idled really rough. My XTS is so smooth I can't really tell its running.

Rsteph is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 & '06 CTS's (traded), '14 XTS Lux (traded), '16 CTS4 Premium 2.0T (now)

Mine initially was the same...couldn't even tell it was running at idle. Was out in it again yesterday and the rough idle is still there. As soon as you give it any gas, it stops...so it's almost like the RPM's are too low at idle. If it keeps up, I guess a trip to the dealer is in order.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): XTS VSport-550+ lb-ft of torque, ATS 2.0T AWD HPTuners tuned

While not as smooth as my 2013 Verano turbo-4, my VSport was getting a noticeable roughness to it on my 8 mile, half highway commute. After this holiday's 450 miles of highway driving the roughness is not noticeable now. Just needed a good cleaningbout on the highway?

Kevinst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 XTS

I know it’s a very old thread, but wondering if anything was discovered that was causing the vibration? My new 2018 xts awd is doing the same

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

For a few months now, I'll come to a stop in drive, car idling smooth as silk, then a slight vibration starts. Not every time. Feel it in the steering wheel, sometimes the seat and shifter also. Disappears as soon as I start moving. 35k easy miles.
    Not bad enough to make me want to investigate further, yet. Since it's intermittent, I'm guessing maybe some emission control thing. Wife's Impala has had a slight, same vibe since new, same engine LFX.

Cadjiek is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 xts Premium fwd 2009 CTS AWD

Our XTS only has 9600 miles with the same rough idle. Our 2009 CTS has 81000 miles and you can’t even feel it idle. I’ll Be taking it in for an oil change in a couple of weeks and have them check it out. Seems to be a common issue. Im surprised nobody has gotten an answer to it.

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

At times, I wonder if it is a carbon built up issue. I try and use gas with no ethanol and/or mid-grade. I look for top-tier gas. It seems to work with the rest of my vehicles. The XTS, I still notice a rough idle at times. I may try and use ethanol free gas only. But, it is only offered at limited stations in my area that are top-tier. In particular, it is only one within a 40 mile radius of were I live.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XT5 (2017)

If the vibration is at idle (in gear), stationary and goes away if you put the tranny in neutral, it may be a motor or transmission mount. It may not be, but something to consider.
    Nicksel1 likes this.

Kevinst has his checked out. The dealer checked the motor mounts and exhaust pipes. Did not help. You can check his post regarding a steering wheel vibration when stopped. I just went out to warm mine up and charge up the battery. After it was warmed up I put it drive and the vibration started within a few seconds.

Drove car home today. Dealer can’t find a problem. Still has a rough idle.������

Was at the dealer again today. I brought up the idle issue again. This time I was told that they have had numerous complaints about this. It only seems to be exclusive to the XTS. They think it might be caused by the winter fuel mix. Mine had the problem last winter, went away in the summer and came back again this winter. Maybe that’s what causes it.

Kevinst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 XTS

Very interesting...I hope that's what it is...and even better if they can do a software fix to stop it...

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

I changed the oil a few days ago and noticed that the idle in gear seems much smoother. I have read that the Variable Valve Timing is controlled by oil flow and can be sensitive to viscosity. So maybe this is related. The Valvolene full syn oil had 4k mi. and 10 months on it. Replaced with Mobil 1. Car has 35k mi.
    See my post #6 in this thread.

The dealer changed my oil and installed a new air filter at the time I brought up the idle issue. Neither made a difference. That was back in February. I have noticed a big improvement with the warmer weather.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in