XTS glove box won't open - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS glove box won't open in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by GFK Wow! I guess my analogy would be illogical if you expect not to get your money ...
    GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

Re: XTS glove box won't open

Quote Originally Posted by GFK View Post
    Wow! I guess my analogy would be illogical if you expect not to get your money worth. It seems that your comparison, "--even with MILSPEC standards which consumer-grade vehicles don't even come close to" highlights my point. My dollar spends the same as our government does. I understand that nothing is 100%. But, this has been going on for about two years now. And, I would not expect this from a claimed premier product. Nevertheless for the sake of clarity, below is an outline of events:

-Symptoms: (1)Press button and hear click (2)Left side of box releases, but right side does not
    -The glove box was replaced in 2015
    -Returned to a dealership in 2016 because of the issue and technician could not reproduce the issue, but the sales person could reproduce the issue

My assessment again, the right side of the box does not disengage due to catch not releasing. This seems to happen in the warmer months. There could be many reasons, but mine is because the heat causes the box to expand. Being the case, two things come to mind:

1. The catch does not have enough time to release
    2. A push rod on one side of the box is not adequate

I was just providing feedback for the sake of information. Just my two cent. Take it for what it is worth. To play on you military experience, we can learn from each other. If you take 10 people with 10 years of experiences working on vehicles, a person would have 10 years of experience. Yet, if the 10 people combine their experiences, there is 100 years of knowledge to pull from. Hence, the point of this forum.

As far as transition, people have tolerated my adjustment. I have worked with great people. I have also worked with people not so great. I have found it does not matter whether a person has severed or not. It matters where a person heart is at.
    Update: I have to give Cadillac a good report. I took my vehicle in to address a Service: Suspension System indicator. While there, I asked for the glove box issue to be addressed based on a conversation I had with the service manager previously. I just received a call that a service bulletin is out that addresses the issue. As I understand it, some modification has been made to the glove box compartment. Way to go!

My wife and I were considering another Cadillac but could not look pass all of the times I have taking the vehicle in for service. This may bring new life to our consideration. Also, the service indicator appears to be a loose connection. More time on the road and less time in the shop is a good thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

GFK
    Wow! I guess my analogy would be illogical if you expect not to get your money worth. It seems that your comparison, "--even with MILSPEC standards which consumer-grade vehicles don't even come close to" highlights my point. My dollar spends the same as our government does. I understand that nothing is 100%. But, this has been going on for about two years now. And, I would not expect this from a claimed premier product. Nevertheless for the sake of clarity, below is an outline of events:

-Symptoms: (1)Press button and hear click (2)Left side of box releases, but right side does not
    -The glove box was replaced in 2015
    -Returned to a dealership in 2016 because of the issue and technician could not reproduce the issue, but the sales person could reproduce the issue

My assessment again, the right side of the box does not disengage due to catch not releasing. This seems to happen in the warmer months. There could be many reasons, but mine is because the heat causes the box to expand. Being the case, two things come to mind:

1. The catch does not have enough time to release
    2. A push rod on one side of the box is not adequate

I was just providing feedback for the sake of information. Just my two cent. Take it for what it is worth. To play on you military experience, we can learn from each other. If you take 10 people with 10 years of experiences working on vehicles, a person would have 10 years of experience. Yet, if the 10 people combine their experiences, there is 100 years of knowledge to pull from. Hence, the point of this forum.

As far as transition, people have tolerated my adjustment. I have worked with great people. I have also worked with people not so great. I have found it does not matter whether a person has severed or not. It matters where a person heart is at.
    Update: I have to give Cadillac a good report. I took my vehicle in to address a Service: Suspension System indicator. While there, I asked for the glove box issue to be addressed based on a conversation I had with the service manager previously. I just received a call that a service bulletin is out that addresses the issue. As I understand it, some modification has been made to the glove box compartment. Way to go!

My wife and I were considering another Cadillac but could not look pass all of the times I have taking the vehicle in for service. This may bring new life to our consideration. Also, the service indicator appears to be a loose connection. More time on the road and less time in the shop is a good thing.
    Picked up the vehicle Friday. The actuator seems to have a longer delay now giving the glove box's latches more time to release. It seems like the issue has been corrected. But, time will tell.

trosesr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I have recently been experiencing the same problems with a stuck glove box. So I took my XTS to my dealer to fix, however its out of warranty and the price to replace (not fix) is $750. I'll pay the cost if necessary, but I would like to find out if there is a cheaper fix.

genoliver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS V SPORT

cheaper just to buy a new glove box and install yourself

ricktherealtor1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS Vsport Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by trosesr View Post
    I have recently been experiencing the same problems with a stuck glove box. So I took my XTS to my dealer to fix, however its out of warranty and the price to replace (not fix) is $750. I'll pay the cost if necessary, but I would like to find out if there is a cheaper fix.
    $750 to fix or even replace a stuck glove box is totally nuts.

GFK

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in