A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by m_eaton53 For about 10 minutes and then it would fly apart. The key to lasting is spinning ...
    JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Re: A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS

Quote Originally Posted by m_eaton53 View Post
    For about 10 minutes and then it would fly apart.
    The key to lasting is spinning SLOWLY, not quickly. That's way that most of the vehicles on "most likely to last" lists are V8's.
    Non-turbo engines (excluding diesels) are also less stressed. That's one reason I wanted an XTS... no turbos.
    They last much longer than 10 minutes in current form spinning that high and that's not for a production car. The point being production car small displacement high HP engines have been around for years and it would be technically feasible to put race technology into production cars in the immediate future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by JPRSKI View Post
    They last much longer than 10 minutes in current form spinning that high and that's not for a production car. The point being production car small displacement high HP engines have been around for years and it would be technically feasible to put race technology into production cars in the immediate future.
    NVH levels would be a MAJOR issue. As it is now people hate the "buzzy" 4-cynlinders being used all over the place and those engines are spinning maybe 4k most of the time. 10k+ RPMS would be unbearable.

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

I have avoided 4 cylinders (even V-6s for that matter) as long as I could. My thought is less stress is better for longevity. I typically use a comparison of a 4 legged creatures vs a two legged creatures. 4 legged creatures run faster and longer than 2 legged creatures (of the ones that I am recalling). I understand flesh and metal is different. But, having more horses to carry a load makes things lighter on all concerned. Just my perspective.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    NVH levels would be a MAJOR issue. As it is now people hate the "buzzy" 4-cynlinders being used all over the place and those engines are spinning maybe 4k most of the time. 10k+ RPMS would be unbearable.
    The turbo 2.0 4-cylinders in my MB and Volvo typically sit at 1500 rpm steady state. Power is more than adequate. In particular the supercharged/turbocharged Volvo has plenty of spunk, even above 65mph. I just miss the rumble of the NorthStar V8 in my '08 DTS and given a choice would gladly give up the 28mpg average I get with the 4-cyclinders.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Check out this list...
    http://www.dashboard-light.com/repor...dexRating.html
    It almost entirely consists of V8's. There is not a single turbo on it.

There's a whole lot of GM and Toyota on that "best" list.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    The turbo 2.0 4-cylinders in my MB and Volvo typically sit at 1500 rpm steady state. Power is more than adequate. In particular the supercharged/turbocharged Volvo has plenty of spunk, even above 65mph. I just miss the rumble of the NorthStar V8 in my '08 DTS and given a choice would gladly give up the 28mpg average I get with the 4-cyclinders.
    It's not about power. Power is a product of how much fuel and air a powerplant can process...doesn't matter if it's done with four, six, eight, or twelve cylinders...you need to move fuel and air to make power. It's been proven forever that a four-cylinder can make eight-cylinder levels of power. The problem is that in order to do that, the four cylinder motor is stressed at a much higher level, which results in harshness and noise, and decreased longevity. That's what i'm talking about. The level of refinement isn't there, or at least automakers haven't figured out how to pull it off yet.

ktriebol is online now Cadillac Owners Member

It's not about power. Power is a product of how much fuel and air a powerplant can process...doesn't matter if it's done with four, six, eight, or twelve cylinders...you need to move fuel and air to make power. It's been proven forever that a four-cylinder can make eight-cylinder levels of power. The problem is that in order to do that, the four cylinder motor is stressed at a much higher level, which results in harshness and noise, and decreased longevity. That's what i'm talking about. The level of refinement isn't there, or at least automakers haven't figured out how to pull it off yet.
    I don't know about that. the 1.5 Liter turbo 4 in my 2017 Malibu runs nice and quiet at around 2,000 rpm on the highway. Very smooth at all speeds. Hard acceleration is adequate, but you can hear the 4 cylinder sound. After accelerating, you are back to smooth silence. I think that because this engine was built from the start to be turbocharged, longevity will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
    I don't know about that. the 1.5 Liter turbo 4 in my 2017 Malibu runs nice and quiet at around 2,000 rpm on the highway. Very smooth at all speeds. Hard acceleration is adequate, but you can hear the 4 cylinder sound. After accelerating, you are back to smooth silence. I think that because this engine was built from the start to be turbocharged, longevity will be good.
    You and I have a very different definition of "nice and quiet" and "very smooth" as I have driven the same car and completely disagree with your evaluation. I found it harsh and noisy. Hell the passenger seat rattled at every startup because starting the engine shook the whole car...and that's something that happened ALOT because it had the stupid stop/start "feature". Adequate power though. About long term...that engine is not a new one, it's been around since 2014 and while it may not be a "problematic" engine in absolute terms, compared to the V6s it replaced, its pretty bad. Granted those V6s had (have) legendary reputations.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

They use these 2.0T motors to avoid displacement taxes that are common in other countries.
    Not a good reason to buy something. If I can get a bigger engine (like the GM 3.6), without any turbos, I'll buy it.

ktriebol is online now Cadillac Owners Member

You and I have a very different definition of "nice and quiet" and "very smooth" as I have driven the same car and completely disagree with your evaluation. I found it harsh and noisy. Hell the passenger seat rattled at every startup because starting the engine shook the whole car...and that's something that happened ALOT because it had the stupid stop/start "feature". Adequate power though. About long term...that engine is not a new one, it's been around since 2014 and while it may not be a "problematic" engine in absolute terms, compared to the V6s it replaced, its pretty bad. Granted those V6s had (have) legendary reputations.
    I don't think the difference is in our definition of "nice and quiet", but rather the difference in the car you drove and mine. I don't experience any of the issues you stated such as being harsh and noisy, or having the passenger seat rattle at startup due to engine shake. I have read several Malibu forum posts, and it certainly does seem that there is a lot of variation from car-to-car.

Quote Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
    I don't think the difference is in our definition of "nice and quiet", but rather the difference in the car you drove and mine. I don't experience any of the issues you stated such as being harsh and noisy, or having the passenger seat rattle at startup due to engine shake. I have read several Malibu forum posts, and it certainly does seem that there is a lot of variation from car-to-car.
    Furthermore, it's common to other models and brands with high-strung four-cylinder motors. Smaller engines have less mass and transfer more of their vibration to their mounts and more of their noise to their surroundings. They also generally have to operate at higher RPMs for a given power output. In addition, the turbo versions have A LOT more moving parts which contributes to NVH while also offering more stuff to break.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in