A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Cadillac is in real need of another "break through" -->...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata

Re: A small amount of "latest news" regarding the Cadillac XTS

Cadillac is in real need of another "break through"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Instead of using V6, why not go to a small V8 turbo to be different? It is possible to make a 2.0L V8. It is efficient, quiet, yet can be made powerful as well. This would be a "break-through"...

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

FAST FORWARD 8 YEARS!!!

The answer to my request at post #12. The CT6-V Blackbird

Go BIG or don't go at all!

acpantera is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red

Kinda sad really, Cadillac has no desire to build, market or sell large powerful luxury sedans anymore, the CT6 Blackwing is already sold out..... as Cadillac has sold out it's large sedan customers.
    Cadillac seems to be following the herd and desires to push SUV's.....
    Slow.
    Ugly.
    Vehicles.
    Cadjiek and RedCadi like this.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by acpantera View Post
    the CT6 Blackwing is already sold out
    The CT6-V sold out quickly, but the 500hp Blackwing powered CT6 Platinum is available.
    I'm sure it's a fantastic (but not cheap) car. Not gonna get one for less than $30K (like I did with my XTS Platinum) anytime soon.

JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    If what has been happening to Cadillac is a harbinger, the future will be dull indeed. Common chassis across brands, or in salesman speak... "GM's global platforms" means more bling for Caddies, less bling for Buicks, no bling for Chevys.

They will all drive the same and that will be that. I am so sorry for being so negative but when they dumped the DTS, and the STS, and the N*, with one fell swoop and started talking about the powerless XTS, well, I ain't inta dat!

I think GM's target audience is different from what it was. I believe that they believe that they can't compete with the high end luxo sedans and are going to target buyers of the Kia Optima and the Hyundai Genesis.

I guess I will have to turn to the Germans for a quality vehicle for my needs.

Sorry again for gettin' up on the box.
    Everyone is going to the same chassis across brands, even the Germans do that now. As for the Germans vs Cadillac, Cadillac was never even in the game, in fact the only game is Audi/BMW/Mercedes competing against each other for the best coupes and sedans and everyone else fighting for 4th place and lower. Cadillac at one time did set the standard for sedans but no longer and when they did set the standard, they making their own engines and transmissions, Cadillac now goes to the big old GM parts bin for parts shared across the GM product line. The XTS is nothing more than a pimped up Impala and the XTS-V is a pimped up Holden Commodore, which is not a bad thing, but it is what is. The biggest advantage Cadillac has over the Germans is for the same money with Cadillac you get a 6 cylinder engine and the German you get a 4. The 4 banger engine is fine for small coupes and sedans to smaller mid sized coupes and sedans but for Cars the size of the XTS and larger, even BMW 5 series, Audi 6 and MB E class, you need a 6 at a minimum, else it is under powered. As for Asian cars, I don't even consider them at all, they are all imitations of either American or German cars they want to be either or but not uniquely Asian, owning one is the automotive equivalent to wearing jammie pants everywhere one goes and they are boring and soulless to drive.

As for automotive quality, every manufacture makes a quality product with very few exceptions and with luxury cars they are all good, as long as you do the maintenance on time with OEM or better parts.

Yes, Cadillac has changed since the old days so has everyone else. The XTS is not a bad car pretty good actually, in reality it is a Grand Tourer not a totally soft riding Caddy of old, if your looking for that, go check out a Lincoln Continental and drive it in comfort mode. With the XTS, replace the OEM Tires with UHP All Seasons and you now have a better handling car with 'sportier' handling. The XTS just has the wrong OEM tires on it and is incorrectly marketed.

I am not a Caddy fan either but I do like GM products for reliable easy to maintain car and trucks that you car rack up high miles on them affordably and GM and Ford beat everyone else hands down. It just so happened when I needed a 6 cylinder dd I could put 120-150 miles a day on, the XTS was about the same price as a CPO Impala and Lacrosse so no brainer Cadillac wins so my views towards Cadillacs are a bit different then others, the lux is just a big bonus. If I were buying new for normal yearly driving I would go German for car and American for SUV/Truck, own a Lincoln SUV too.

I do enjoy my XTS very much and glad I bought it and like it even more now that I have the correct tires on it.
    rockit and ricktherealtor1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JPRSKI View Post
    The XTS just has the wrong OEM tires on it
    IMO, you can say that about most OEM tires. They're driven by cost even on expensive cars.
    The second set of tires I put on a car is almost never the same as the first and the car is markedly improved because of it.

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by acpantera View Post
    Kinda sad really, Cadillac has no desire to build, market or sell large powerful luxury sedans anymore, the CT6 Blackwing is already sold out..... as Cadillac has sold out it's large sedan customers.
    Cadillac seems to be following the herd and desires to push SUV's.....
    Slow.
    Ugly.
    Vehicles.

Cadillac HAS the desire to build, market, and sell whatever the public is buying, and large, powerful, luxury sedans aren't it. (Admittedly, I may be stretching truthfulness concerning marketing for anything they build.) The fact that the XTS has lasted several years past its intended production life is a testament to what a nice car it really is. R&D costs were absorbed, (spread across several GM vehicles) and it was the best-selling luxury sedan in Cadillac's line-up for many of the months they published sales figures.

First and foremost, Cadillac is a business. Their Prime Directive is to prop up GM stock by building vehicles the public wants. Unfortunately for those of us who prefer a variety of sedans to choose from sporting the Cadillac crest, we're in the minority. At some point, the tide of public opinion may change and the current love affair with SUVs will fade, but the harsh reality is sedan sales have declined so much for US automakers, and they're hemorrhaging money building cars that sit on lots. US-built sedans are going the way of the station wagon.

As far as the CT6 Blackwing, and their other cool niche cars, Cadillac generally sells out the first limited run and then sales decline sharply. (In 2003, the first batch of one hundred limited edition, Neiman-Marcus XLRs sold out in fourteen minutes!) The ELR being one notable exception. It holds the ubiquitous title of worst-selling modern Cadillac ever.

Cadillac's next hat trick: Electrification of whatever sells.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    It holds the ubiquitous title of worst-selling modern Cadillac ever.
    To say that the sale of just 38 Saks ELRs was an ominous sign is the Grossest Understatement Ever.
    I've seen a few come up for sale... the premium for being a Saks is basically zero.

That was the first of many ELR blunders. Pearl White is one of the most popular colors... unavailable on a 2014 unless it's one of those 38.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most popular color on a 2016.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS Premium

As for the Germans vs Cadillac, Cadillac was never even in the game...
    FYI Cadillac only competes with BMW, and does so very well. MB is a very different car and Audi is a "line-straddler" that only competes with BMW on the high-end (S and RS)...the A-cars are Lexus/Buick/Acura competitors. But Cadillac matches BMW's performance, does better in quality and has better appointed interiors.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    Audi is a "line-straddler" that only competes with BMW on the high-end (S and RS)...the A-cars are Lexus/Buick/Acura competitors.
    I've driven some of the lower level Audis and had a hard time coming up with a good reason to choose one over a VW.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by m_eaton53 View Post
    I've driven some of the lower level Audis and had a hard time coming up with a good reason to choose one over a VW.
    To be fair, this can be said to some extent about all premium brands. But the separation between Audi and VW is more like Buick to Chevy or Lexus to Toyota than Cadillac to Chevy. Cadillacs aren't "upmarket Chevys" like Lexus' are upmarket Toyotas or Audis are upmarket VWs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    To be fair, this can be said to some extent about all premium brands. But the separation between Audi and VW is more like Buick to Chevy or Lexus to Toyota than Cadillac to Chevy. Cadillacs aren't "upmarket Chevys" like Lexus' are upmarket Toyotas or Audis are upmarket VWs.
    I drove a Tiguan and an A3 back to back and I think the Tiguan was actually the nicer car of the two despite the Audi costing $5K more.
    The Cadillacs I've driven were always much nicer than the Chevys.

JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    Instead of using V6, why not go to a small V8 turbo to be different? It is possible to make a 2.0L V8. It is efficient, quiet, yet can be made powerful as well. This would be a "break-through"...
    How about a 1.5L 32 valve V-8 instead? It was done in the early 60's, but not for production cars.

or how about a Turbo 1.6L V6 or 3.0L V12?

The tech is there to build high HP small displacement engines, the production car reliability is not there yet.

How cool would it be to DD a 3.0L V12 spinning at 19K rpm! It would sound so sweet.

How cool would it be to DD a 3.0L V12 spinning at 19K rpm! It would sound so sweet.
    For about 10 minutes and then it would fly apart.
    The key to lasting is spinning SLOWLY, not quickly. That's way that most of the vehicles on "most likely to last" lists are V8's.
    Non-turbo engines (excluding diesels) are also less stressed. That's one reason I wanted an XTS... no turbos.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in