2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi. So the right leading lamp suddenly died. I took it to the dealership and they said they can fix ...
    Rayansb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change?

Hi. So the right leading lamp suddenly died. I took it to the dealership and they said they can fix it for the hefty price of 900 dollars! (I live in the middle east and dealerships charge criminal prices for simple jobs). What's peculiar about this is that even the switch to turn on/off the light is no longer lit so I asked around and was told the whole lamp unit needs to be changed. I looked it up online and found the part here and now I have it but have no idea how easy or hard it is to open the overhead console and access the part that needs changing. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ktriebol is online now Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change?

Rayansb, this diagram: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...Q88aAn3b8P8HAQ seems to show that the main panel of the overhead console is held in place by tabs along the outside edge. You might try carefully entering that area with a putty knife to see if you can push the tabs back enough to pop the panel out. Once the panel is out, you are in business.

Woodoggie is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '18 XTS Luxury

The best source is YouTube. I did find this but nothing specific.
    https://youtu.be/ZQE8MrHuLtk
    There was some GM (Tahoe Silverado) they should be similar.

BOL

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS Premium

You might also want to try and use this tool for prying open the panel - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I have this and its OK to use with the XTS and I used it to remove the cabin filter from the housing. Just a thought. TCP Global 2 Piece Door Panel and Plastic Fastener Removal Tool Set.

thank you all for your valuable inputs. Im still a little bit apprehensive about doing this but it must be done. Will update when done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayansb View Post
    thank you all for your valuable inputs. Im still a little bit apprehensive about doing this but it must be done. Will update when done.
    You will be fine, and will get satisfaction from doing this repair yourself. Nice going!

Quote Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
    You will be fine, and will get satisfaction from doing this repair yourself. Nice going!
    thank you! this just occurred to me, could this be a fuse problem? I checked the manual's fuse map and there's no mention of a dome or reading light fuse? kind of confusing. there's a fuse for the courtesy lamp but no mention of the reading lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayansb View Post
    thank you! this just occurred to me, could this be a fuse problem? I checked the manual's fuse map and there's no mention of a dome or reading light fuse? kind of confusing. there's a fuse for the courtesy lamp but no mention of the reading lamps.
    You have to study the wiring diagram to be sure, but without doing that, I would say that it is highly unlikely to be a fuse problem because normally the left and right reading lamps would be on the same fuse.

You have to study the wiring diagram to be sure, but without doing that, I would say that it is highly unlikely to be a fuse problem because normally the left and right reading lamps would be on the same fuse.
    thank you very much. You've been very helpful.

Just one suggestion before you start this job. Some of the wires in the overhead console are probably live even if the ignition is off, so it is wise to disconnect the battery before starting this job. If you don't disconnect the battery, you run the risk of creating a short which will blow a fuse, or even worse, could melt insulation on wires.

Just one suggestion before you start this job. Some of the wires in the overhead console are probably live even if the ignition is off, so it is wise to disconnect the battery before starting this job. If you don't disconnect the battery, you run the risk of creating a short which will blow a fuse, or even worse, could melt insulation on wires.
    OMG I didn't even think of that. Thanks! Will do!

Update #1:
    I tried prying the thing open but it wouldn't budge. The metal clips seem to hold this thing pretty tight! I tried not to force it I don't wanna break anything. I'm waiting for my plastic trim removal tools to arrive so I can give this another try.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

No need to disconnect the battery any more than requiring a circuit breaker to be opened when changing a lightbulb at home.

There are 6 clip/retainers that secure the roof console in place - one at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

1. Remove the roof console by prying downward, (with a wide, flat-bladed plastic trim removal tool) starting at the rear corners and working forward.

2. When it's loosened, disconnect the electrical connectors. Once the electrical connectors are de-mated, the bulb can be removed without fear of shorting anything.

This is an extremely simple job that should take less than ten minutes. For anyone trying to charge $900 (or even $90) it meets the criteria for extortion. A set of inexpensive trim removal tools are a must-have item in a toolbox, and will pay for themselves many times over, --especially when you consider how much it can cost to replace a damaged piece of trim costing hundreds of dollars. You'll be pleasantly surprised how often you reach for these tools.

My preferred set from a company that specializes in body-shop tools: (but you can buy a similar set for less) https://www.eastwood.com/12-pc-trim-...FUkerQYdzHoDcA

CCC
    eric15178 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    No need to disconnect the battery any more than requiring a circuit breaker to be opened when changing a lightbulb at home.

There are 6 clip/retainers that secure the roof console in place - one at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

1. Remove the roof console by prying downward, (with a wide, flat-bladed plastic trim removal tool) starting at the rear corners and working forward.

2. When it's loosened, disconnect the electrical connectors. Once the electrical connectors are de-mated, the bulb can be removed without fear of shorting anything.

This is an extremely simple job that should take less than ten minutes. For anyone trying to charge $900 (or even $90) it meets the criteria for extortion. A set of inexpensive trim removal tools are a must-have item in a toolbox, and will pay for themselves many times over, --especially when you consider how much it can cost to replace a damaged piece of trim costing hundreds of dollars. You'll be pleasantly surprised how often you reach for these tools.

My preferred set from a company that specializes in body-shop tools: (but you can buy a similar set for less) https://www.eastwood.com/12-pc-trim-...FUkerQYdzHoDcA

CCC
    thank you so much for your help. I bought a set of those tools and I'm waiting for them to be delivered.

I tried to pry it open from the 2 position. am i correct in doing so?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in