2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If you mean the rear corners, (as stated in the instructions) yes. The clips hold the roof console in place ...
    ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: 2013 XTS reading lamp (dome light) change?

If you mean the rear corners, (as stated in the instructions) yes. The clips hold the roof console in place very tightly, (to avoid it coming loose over bumpy roads) so you'll need the proper tools to do the job right. You likely won't get your fingers under the roof liner recess to grasp the corners which is why trim removal tools are recommended. - NEVER use a screwdriver!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

Here is a picture of the clips on the armrest panel which are typical. As has been said, they hold real tight. Use the widest pry tool you can to spread out the force, work your way around. Once the piece starts to pop and you haven't broken anything, you will be good.
    Attached Images

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

Attached Images

eric15178 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    No need to disconnect the battery any more than requiring a circuit breaker to be opened when changing a lightbulb at home.

There are 6 clip/retainers that secure the roof console in place - one at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

1. Remove the roof console by prying downward, (with a wide, flat-bladed plastic trim removal tool) starting at the rear corners and working forward.

2. When it's loosened, disconnect the electrical connectors. Once the electrical connectors are de-mated, the bulb can be removed without fear of shorting anything.

This is an extremely simple job that should take less than ten minutes. For anyone trying to charge $900 (or even $90) it meets the criteria for extortion. A set of inexpensive trim removal tools are a must-have item in a toolbox, and will pay for themselves many times over, --especially when you consider how much it can cost to replace a damaged piece of trim costing hundreds of dollars. You'll be pleasantly surprised how often you reach for these tools.

My preferred set from a company that specializes in body-shop tools: (but you can buy a similar set for less) https://www.eastwood.com/12-pc-trim-...FUkerQYdzHoDcA

CCC

This.

When you say middle east- are you talking about pakistan area? Get a set of trim pop off tools that won't scratch what you're trying to get off. Around here we have orielly's, autozone, napa, etc... If you got any stores like that they should have them, otherwise I'm sure the internet is a solid bet. Believe the last time I bought some they were called (non marring trim tools)? I had to switch mine out in my old seville when i had it and remember seeing where someone said that they come off super hard, to the point where you think you're going to break it. Good so you know it's not goona come off on it's own. As this guy said- no need to unhook the battery, get the unit off, unplug it, plug in the new one, and snap it in. All should be well.

Just one thing to add, be careful working your trim popper offer so you don't wreck- bend or cut your headliner. That would suck to do. But do it with some sense of carefulness and you should be good

Rayansb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

UPDATE

I've fixed the problem! Turns out the geniuses at the dealership forgot to re-attach the power cable into the socket of the right lamp. That's why it wasn't working! Now I have an extra reading lamp assembly that I don't need! I've circled around the cable in red. Everything works fine now! Getting access to to the console was super easy with those plastic trim removal tools! I'd like to thank each and everyone of you who helped me. I know it's a simple job but the dealership would've gladly taken 900 dollars from me for reconnecting a wire! Thank you ALL!

ktriebol likes this.

ktriebol is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I wasn't aware that the dealership had done some work in the overhead console recently. That would have been helpful information.

Rayansb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

Quote Originally Posted by ktriebol View Post
    I wasn't aware that the dealership had done some work in the overhead console recently. That would have been helpful information.
    I wasn't aware about that either! All I know is I took it there to fix the moonroof because it wasn't working properly and they didn't even fix it right. I had no idea they messed around the overhead console!

ktriebol is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm glad you fixed it. Those are the kinds of things that bug a person when they don't work. Nice going!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in