XTS Front Struts????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Raven
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS Front Struts???? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All! I have a 2014 XTS AWD in need of front struts. My dealer quoted me a price close ...
    twanlo456 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 XTS Luxury AWD

XTS Front Struts????

Hello All! I have a 2014 XTS AWD in need of front struts. My dealer quoted me a price close to $1200. My advisor also told me if I go somewhere else, not to use Monroe struts because they’ll screw up the suspension system and it’ll alert constantly “service suspension” on my dash. Any truth to this? I’ve seen the Monroe’s priced pretty cheap for Non AWD models but not offered for AWD. Has anyone replaced their struts and found a nicely priced replacement? If so which brand? Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rdodson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS V Platinum

Re: XTS Front Struts????

I had dealer replace front struts. Expensive but car rides great. My son and I have found that using non OEM parts is not a particularly good way to keep a car in good running order for 100K.

The car actually has 125K now, has run good no issues. I was just thinking since it’s a GM brand the struts would be cheaper than a foreign luxury car.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS Premium

Assuming you have Magneride, you need the GM struts. Or, you need to go through a very complex and not recommended process of deleting Magneride (replace all four struts with non-magnetoreological units, install resistors to trick BCM). I believe a company called "Strutmasters" sells a $500+ kit to do exactly this...but reviews aren't so great from what I remember.

Another option would be to purchase the struts yourself off of Rock Auto, they are about $300 ea I believe, and find an independent mechanic to do the swap. There's really nothing special to it, it's just a regular strut install plus a harness to unplug/replug.
    GFK likes this.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

A 125K mile car of mine would never go to a dealer for strut replacement. Struts are not rocket science.
    I have an independent mechanic whose shop does quality work and is a huge user on AC Delco parts.
    He would get the job and the car would get magnetic shocks as God and GM engineering intended.

These cars are intended to deliver ride quality.
    My XTS has 20's and my experience with conventionally damped LaCrosses and Impala test drives tells me that it will ride like crap.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I ordered the OEM struts (AC Delco) from Rock Auto 50% cheaper that the dealer. I have my own mechanic for the install, hopefully there aren’t any issues!

Cutlass is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2

Monroe shocks and struts are for something you don't plan to keep. They are junk.

bigrimsuv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So what was the cost from RockAuto?

hojokalet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): dts

You can also purchase the shocks from a number of GM OEM resellers. But if you are not doing the work yourself, your local mechanic may not be happy if you supply the parts, after all they make money on the parts and labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in