Buick La Cross Got the upgraded powertrain...and the XTS didn't
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Buick La Cross Got the upgraded powertrain...and the XTS didn't in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; and the XTS didn't, why? The XTS is built on the same platform and could have really used the 9 ...
    X15
    X15 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Question Buick La Cross Got the upgraded powertrain...and the XTS didn't

and the XTS didn't, why?

The XTS is built on the same platform and could have really used the 9 speed, as it's archaic 6 speed
    is truly outdated. The L-Cross also got the newer V6. If the XTS was updated to these with the other improvements for MY 2018, maybe more people would have bought them and they'd still be around. Sad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

Re: Buick La Cross Got the upgraded powertrain...and the XTS didn't

XTS is on its way out of the door. I seen advertisement for 2020 La Cross. So, it may be around for awhile longer.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05/...se-hot-or-not/

X15

That's kind of my point, if GM gave the XTS these powertrain improvements perhaps they would have sold more and it survived. The XTS with a modern 9 speed and all the improvements they've made to the V6 would've really helped. It kills me the fugly looking L-Cross got all this and the gorgeous XTS got none and chopped at the block.

GFK

I suspect that the new model (CT5 ?) will probably have what the La Cross has at a somewhat of a premium level.

X15

The 2020 L-Cross is significantly facelifted and will only be available in the Chinese mkt.

Have a look...it's quite nice.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/07/...acrosse-china/

MHT
    MHT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

Quote Originally Posted by X15 View Post
    and the XTS didn't, why?

The XTS is built on the same platform and could have really used the 9 speed, as it's archaic 6 speed
    is truly outdated. The L-Cross also got the newer V6. If the XTS was updated to these with the other improvements for MY 2018, maybe more people would have bought them and they'd still be around. Sad.
    Even with the announcement of it's demise, the XTS is still out selling cars in it's class as well as the CT6. Another reason for Cadillac dropping the XTS is to get it out of the way of the CT6 in hope that this move might drive up the sells of the CT6. With the changes that were made to the XTS in 2018, IMO GM/Cadillac could have equipped the XTS with the 10 Speed Transmission but the focus was on the CT6. I owned the CT6 with the 8 Speed Transmission and personally I like the 6 Speed Transmission in my XTS far much better.
    The 2020 LaCrosse will be offered in China, in the USA much like the XTS, as Roy Rogers and Dale Evans would sing, it's, Happy Trails

GFK

When I was considering a new vehicle, I test drove a 2014 CTS. It had a 10 speed transmission, if I recall correctly. It shifted very smooth. But, I liked the smooth ride of the XTS better. I thought a 10 speed in the XTS would have been winner. It seemed like a no brainier. I guess Cadillac was trying to have a reason to buy a CTS. I have not drove a CT6 yet. From what I have been reading about the ride, I may just pass though.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 XTS Premium

The XTS isn't being discontinued due to sales - it's one of Cadillac's top selling vehicles. It's being discontinued because it doesn't fit the brand.

Also, I don't see the fact that the XTS kept the 6-speed as a negative. These new 8/9/10-speed trannys are proving to be nightmares. The 6-speed is a proven unit that works great.
    MHT, Bee1 and tokuboi69 like this.

MHT
    MHT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

Quote Originally Posted by GFK View Post
    When I was considering a new vehicle, I test drove a 2014 CTS. It had a 10 speed transmission, if I recall correctly. It shifted very smooth. But, I liked the smooth ride of the XTS better. I thought a 10 speed in the XTS would have been winner. It seemed like a no brainier. I guess Cadillac was trying to have a reason to buy a CTS. I have not drove a CT6 yet. From what I have been reading about the ride, I may just pass though.
    Never base your decisions on others opinions with out checking things out for yourself. Even with 19" or 20" wheels, IMO both the CT6 and XTS still give a decent ride on mostly all surfaces. Although some might differ my only advice would be to stay away from a high performance tires.

m_eaton53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum

I don't mind the 6-speed. It works and does it without drama. It doesn't have a non-intuitive E-Shifter either.
    Some of these transmissions with a large number of speeds don't know what gear they want to be in.
    rockit and RedCadi like this.

X15

If you've driven an Audi, BMW Lexus etc 8 spd, you'd realize just how poor the archaic 6 speed is. Never an issue with the 8 speeds in the aforementioned German vehicles or in the 9 speed in our MB. The XTS did not get a fair shake with GM putting everything into the CT6 and L-Cross which were both duds and too expensive for what they are...

GFK

Quote Originally Posted by MHT View Post
    Never base your decisions on others opinions with out checking things out for yourself. Even with 19" or 20" wheels, IMO both the CT6 and XTS still give a decent ride on mostly all surfaces. Although some might differ my only advice would be to stay away from a high performance tires.
    Thanks for the feedback. I do consider feedback when I consider things. At times, it helps narrow down the field, kind of like Consumer Reports. Yet unlike Consumer Reports, feedback is not for gain. Most times, a honest opinion from an average person. But, I may look at a CT6 if I test drive a XT6.

If you've driven an Audi, BMW Lexus etc 8 spd, you'd realize just how poor the archaic 6 speed is. Never an issue with the 8 speeds in the aforementioned German vehicles or in the 9 speed in our MB. The XTS did not get a fair shake with GM putting everything into the CT6 and L-Cross which were both duds and too expensive for what they are...
    Those are all the same trannys. The 8/9/10 speed boxes are "global" units. You'll find the exact same transmission in a Chevy/Honda/Toyota that you'll find in an Audi/Benz. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with the 9-speed...exact same box that's in the GLC and GLA (and in pretty much everything else with a 9-speed), and it sucks in those (and all other) applications.

X15

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    Those are all the same trannys. The 8/9/10 speed boxes are "global" units. You'll find the exact same transmission in a Chevy/Honda/Toyota that you'll find in an Audi/Benz. My wife has a Jeep Cherokee with the 9-speed...exact same box that's in the GLC and GLA (and in pretty much everything else with a 9-speed), and it sucks in those (and all other) applications.
    They're not all made by the same manufacturer (several make both 8 and 9 speeds), and the ZF 8 speeds and MB's new 9G are some of the best automatic transmissions on the market and GM uses neither. GM makes their own 8 speed and it is NOT German/ZF.
    RedCadi likes this.

They're not all made by the same manufacturer (several make both 8 and 9 speeds), and the ZF 8 speeds and MB's new 9G are some of the best automatic transmissions on the market and GM uses neither. GM makes their own 8 speed and it is NOT German/ZF.
    ZF 8-speed that you are referring to, notice the list of applications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

ZF 9-speed that you are referring to...exact same POS that's in my wife's Cherokee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

You can look in the "references" section for the laundry list of problems both those units have.

But you are right about one thing, GM uses neither. Thankfully. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to find that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in