2014 XTS 6 cyl. Tranny Downshifts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, 2014 XTS 6 cyl. Tranny Downshifts in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had 4 Cadillacs ( 1989, 1998, 2002, 2009) and I KNOW when I let off the gas and ...
    rockhoundrob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville and 2009 DTS

2014 XTS 6 cyl. Tranny Downshifts

I have had 4 Cadillacs ( 1989, 1998, 2002, 2009) and I KNOW when I let off the gas and the car coasts and slows down, the transmission felt like it was in neutral.
    However, with my 2015 XTS that I just got 2 weeks ago (61,000 miles) , when I let off the gas when approaching a stoplight, it downshifts (usually when it's around 25 MPH)

Is this normal? It did have a transmission flush at around 50,000 miles at the Caddy place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Mr Earl is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Luxury - Graphite Metallic; 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - BRG

Re: 2014 XTS 6 cyl. Tranny Downshifts

I think it is normal. You can feel the downshifts on my 2013 with 53K miles when you take your foot off. I noticed this while it is in D, if you move the shifter to M and don't touch the paddles, you can see the gear number on the DIC change as it shifts up and down. Will try this some more to confirm, the gear number is small and hard to see. Will have to wear bifocals while driving to continue this investigation.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Yes it's normal. My car does it at 43 km/h exactly, close to your 25 mph.

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

Yes, mine does not shift as smooth at times as I would like or thought. It is not big car ride I hoped for. But, it seems to do better as it warms up.

rockhoundrob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville and 2009 DTS

Ok thanks for the feedback.

I guess I just don't like it because I know on manual transmissions, some people actually downshift and use the transmission to slow down the car. This causes more wear and tear on the clutch plate.
    I would rather use my brakes!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in