Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, TSBs relating to backup camera lagging and guidelines disappearing in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all. I've had my (new-to-me) 2018 XTS at the dealership twice now and am taking it back again for ...
- 04-25-19 12:59 PM #1Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Automobile(s): 18 XTS Lux. AWD (29K mi), 06 SRX V6-AWD (67K mi) ** Gone - 08 DTS, 87 Brougham
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
- Portland, OR
TSBs relating to backup camera lagging and guidelines disappearing
Hey all. I've had my (new-to-me) 2018 XTS at the dealership twice now and am taking it back again for issues with the backup camera. I'm looking for some input ...
My backup camera has two (likely related) issues that happen a lot ... but not every single time:
1) When I put the car in reverse and the guidelines are on the screen, the picture lags. It's a bit jumpy and not a smooth picture.
2) Sometimes, a few seconds after putting the car in reverse, all of a sudden the picture jumps, the guidelines completely disappear and so does the icon to touch to activate/deactivate the guidelines option on the screen. At the same time, the picture appears to be a bit zoomed-in. I've noticed that there's no more lag when it's in this state. When I put it in drive, the picture goes back to normal and the guidelines reappear and so does the icon.
Side note: When I put the car in drive after reversing, the camera does not shut off until I've driven a small distance or achieve a particular MPH (about 5 MPH ???). The brand new XT5 loaner did the same thing, so I'm guessing that's how it's designed.
Both times that I took it in, I got it back with the Service Adviser telling me that the Tech did a software reset or update. Both times ... problem still happening ... not fixed.
I did some research on the internet and found that there are known problems and TSBs that relate to this. These problems are not just restricted to Cadillacs, but are on Chevy, GMC and Buick, as well. They include the following ...
17NA331 (10/17/17) - "This informational bulletin provides information to the customer about the rear camera guidelines not being present at times due to the VBM taking over the rear camera option."
18NA385 (12/21/18) - "Rear View Camera Guidance Lines are Present Then Disappear"
I called my Service Adviser and she told me that the Tech referred to the following when I had it in the first two times:
17NA403 - "Infotainment Display is Scrambled and/or Pixelated"
18NA195 - ???
She then looked up the two TSBs that I referred her to and said that there is no fix to them listed ... that the condition speaks to the speed limitations of the computer to load the system when the car is started. She said that GM says this is normal operation and that the driver should wait 45 seconds before putting the car in reverse in order for the system to load properly.
Nevertheless, she said that they can report it to GM to raise the issue and I'm scheduled to take the car back in on Monday. I told her that I don't want another loaner ... I will wait there for them to fix it.
I have to say that my Service Adviser has been super-nice to me and was even so when I was bringing my 2008 DTS in for service. I don't feel patronized by her. I've also met one of the Techs and he also was great. So I don't want to bust on the dealership, but I feel they're just going off of what GM tells them to do. However, I'm getting super-frustrated by this.
My question to you all is whether you've experienced this ... was it ever fixed ... and if so, what was the fix?
Thanks in advance.
- Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
- 05-14-19 08:31 AM #2Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 2004 Deville, 2014 XTS
- Join Date
- Feb 2018
- Shelbyville, KY
Re: TSBs relating to backup camera lagging and guidelines disappearing
There was also an earlier TSB in 2016. #16-NA-169. It spoke of owners complaining about backup camera problems, license plate light problems, and sometimes trunk lids that wouldn't open. They determined that the problem was caused by a wiring harness connector X-411 that is inside the trunk lid, directly behind the applique. The solution was to remove the trunk lid inner cover and trace the wiring to the connector, then cut the wires to remove the connector and use wire splices to reconnect like-colored wires, then wrap with polyester electrical tape.
They go on to say that moisture in and around the applique on the trunk lid is allowing said connector X-411 to corrode thereby causing a myriad of problems, including backup camera issues.
I knew from the past 15 years that Chevrolet truck electrical connectors are notorious for causing various issues. It's always corrosion in the connectors. Why they don't use a better grade connector is mind-boggling.
I'm not saying this is necessarily your problem... but it's the first thing I checked when my backup camera was acting weird. Good luck.
- By PaulSch in forum Cadillac ATS-V Series ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 05-27-17, 09:20 PM
- By SRX-MTL in forum Cadillac XT5 First Generation Forum (2017+)Replies: 3Last Post: 12-08-16, 02:34 PM
- By ashkanani in forum Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014Replies: 4Last Post: 06-11-14, 12:55 AM
- By mccombie_5 in forum Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado ForumReplies: 8Last Post: 06-23-05, 04:19 AM