antenna location(s) and wiring?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, antenna location(s) and wiring? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Some problems with reception in car on XM radio recently (2016 XTS). Was wondering if anyone knows location of antennas ...
    demark1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

antenna location(s) and wiring?

Some problems with reception in car on XM radio recently (2016 XTS).

Was wondering if anyone knows location of antennas for XM, AM/FM and Onstar (are there any others)? I am guessing built into rear glass and/or the shark fin on top, but I am not sure which is for what. Car was hit in parking lot on side (it was parked and we weren't even there :-( and we are waiting for their insurance company to sort things out.) It seems to be a serious dent in the rear side panel, but it got me wondering since we recently (after that) seem to have some XM reception issues. I doubt any wiring runs through there but wanted to check if anyone knows antenna locations or where wiring runs (my guess is through the headliner but who knows?)

Thanks if anyone can assist.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Cutlass is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2

Re: antenna location(s) and wiring?

The shark fin is GPS, Onstar cellular, and XM radio.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
    Wonder if damaged might have loosened a ground connection.id tell insurance about radio issue.and then see of dealer can check connections.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Antenna System:

Multi-Band Antenna

The multi-band antenna is located on the roof of the vehicle. This type of antenna may be used with the AM/FM radio, but is primarily for cellular and GPS signals, if the vehicle has these features. Keep this antenna clear of snow and ice build-up for clear reception. If the vehicle has a sunroof, performance of the system can be affected by an open sunroof. Loading items onto the roof of the vehicle can interfere with the performance of the system; ensure the multi-band antenna is not obstructed.
    Diversity Antenna

The diversity antenna system uses antennas applied as appliqués to the rear glass and two antenna amplifiers. The right antenna 1 receives both AM and FM signals, while the left antenna 2 receives FM signals only. The antenna amplifier receives the signals from the glass antenna. Each antenna amplifier connects to the radio by a coaxial cable.

The radio antenna amplifier is enabled when the radio is turned on. The radio provides battery voltage to the antenna amplifier using the center conductor of the antenna coaxial cable. When a 12 V signal is seen by the amplifier on the center conductor of the antenna coax, the received signals are amplified.

When the AM band is selected on the radio, the antenna 1 amplifier connects the AM antenna to the radio. When the FM band is selected, both antenna amplifiers provide FM signals to the radio. The radio switches between the two FM antennas, monitoring the signal strength and combines the signals to create one stronger signal.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

That may be, cc, but it doesn't help the OP with his/her problem with XM signal reception...

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Thanks for your insight. He asked a question, ("Was wondering if anyone knows location of antennas for XM, AM/FM and Onstar (are there any others)? ") and it was addressed. As for troubleshooting a defective harness, troubleshooting remotely is unlikely, especially when he's got insurance to deal with repairs. Keep swinging.

CC

MHT
    MHT is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by demark1 View Post
    Some problems with reception in car on XM radio recently (2016 XTS).

Was wondering if anyone knows location of antennas for XM, AM/FM and Onstar (are there any others)? I am guessing built into rear glass and/or the shark fin on top, but I am not sure which is for what. Car was hit in parking lot on side (it was parked and we weren't even there 😞 and we are waiting for their insurance company to sort things out.) It seems to be a serious dent in the rear side panel, but it got me wondering since we recently (after that) seem to have some XM reception issues. I doubt any wiring runs through there but wanted to check if anyone knows antenna locations or where wiring runs (my guess is through the headliner but who knows?)

Thanks if anyone can assist.
    I am thinking the XM Module is back there somewhere. It is sometimes located on passenger side rear panel in the trunk.
    It is possible that a wire may have been jared loose or it could have suffered some internal damage. I am just throwing something out there for you to have checked out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in