Standard vs Sport mode
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Standard vs Sport mode in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Which drive does everyone use? Standard or Sport mode? I've started driving in Sport mode & I really like it. ...
    Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS FWD Platinum

Standard vs Sport mode

Which drive does everyone use? Standard or Sport mode? I've started driving in Sport mode & I really like it. The car seems more responsive & the suspension definitely stiffens up. It feels a lot more like my STS.

Max

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Re: Standard vs Sport mode

Standard, but it's a much better handling car in sport mode and IMHO should be the default mode for the car. The down side in Sport mode is the MPG.

rriddle3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Premium; Previously 2013 ATS 3.6L Auto, 2013 ATS 2.0L Auto

Around town I normally use standard mode, but on smooth highways I will sometimes use sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JPRSKI View Post
    Standard, but it's a much better handling car in sport mode and IMHO should be the default mode for the car. The down side in Sport mode is the MPG.
    Wow. I think I agree! I am really liking Sport Mode. Does the MPG really change that much? I guess because you end driving more aggressively? lol

Max

Quote Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
    Around town I normally use standard mode, but on smooth highways I will sometimes use sport.
    That's kind of what I have been doing too but I am leaning more towards Sport Mode all the time! lol

Max

JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    Wow. I think I agree! I am really liking Sport Mode. Does the MPG really change that much? I guess because you end driving more aggressively? lol

Max
    Drive it like you stole it is my motto!
    Maximln likes this.

I took a trip to the coast this weekend & was driving on some curvy, mountain roads. I was in standard mode & the car was a little bouncy. I switched to Sport mode & what a difference! It was like driving a different vehicle! I didn't notice a huge difference on my STS when I switched modes but it makes a big difference on the XTS! It was so much fun to take the curves!

Max

dtiemeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What is this 'Sport' mode you speak of? Do you mean just putting it into the M position in the gear selector and using the paddle shifters to change gears? Or is there a different setting that is suspension-only that I could leave permanently on and get a sportier feel?

2014 XTS VSport Platinum

ccclarke is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

"Sport" mode is a misnomer, and a bit of a stretch when describing the driving characteristics of the XTS. There is no Sport mode mentioned in the Owner's manual when the transmission modes are mentioned. (It does appears under the Magnetic Ride Control description though.) It was even neglected in the index, so that ought to be a hint as to the awesomeness of the "capability" in GM's eyes.

M (Manual mode) is as "sporty" as the XTS gets - and it isn't much, just a heavier feel to the steering, minor shock dampening, and the ability to engage paddle shifters. The closest you're going to get to an exhilarating driving experience in the XTS is speeding downhill in the dark, in the rain, with failed brakes and the cops in pursuit. That'll teach you to try to impress the babysitter when you're taking her home.

The main difference with a V-Sport is a more powerful engine; the suspension/chassis tuning is the same. If you want a sports car experience, you have to step up to a full-blown V model, which does not include the XTS (for obvious reasons.) For a more precise steering/handling experience, the CTS or ATS in their least-equipped trim levels blow the XTS away.

You can put a suit on a pig, --but you still have a pig. Like the CT6, the XTS is a luxurious, highway super-cruiser, --nothing more. It fulfills that role very capably.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
    I just use standard mode. Here's note from manual for 17 vsport

MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL The Magnetic Ride Control monitors the suspension system. Based on road conditions, steering wheel angle, and vehicle speed, the system automatically adjusts to provide the best handling while providing a smooth ride. The Tour and Sport Modes will feel similar on a smooth road. Tour : Use for normal city and highway driving. This setting provides asmooth,softride. Sport : Use where road conditions or personal preference demand more control. This setting provides more “feel,” or response to road conditions. The vehicle is normally in Tour Mode. Sport Mode is engaged when the shift lever is placed in M (Manual Mode). When the shift lever is placed in D (Drive) the system will revert back to Tour Mode. The Driver Information Center (DIC) briefly displays the appropriate message on vehicle startup or when a new mode is selected. See Ride Control System Messages 0 146. LIMITED-SLIP REAR AXLE Vehicles with a limited-slip rear axle can give more traction on snow, mud, ice, sand or gravel. When traction is low, this feature allows the drive wheel with the most traction to move the vehicle. The limited-slip rear axle also gives the driver enhanced control when cornering hard or completing a maneuver, such as a lane change.

Quote Originally Posted by dtiemeyer View Post
    What is this 'Sport' mode you speak of? Do you mean just putting it into the M position in the gear selector and using the paddle shifters to change gears? Or is there a different setting that is suspension-only that I could leave permanently on and get a sportier feel?

2014 XTS VSport Platinum
    When you put it into the "M" position, it puts it into Sport Mode as indicated on the dash. Without using the paddle shifters, it will still be an automatic but the Magnetic suspension does stiffen up so the ride is not as "marshmellowy". lol If it's like the STS, it also adjusts the shift points to shift more aggressively. It gives the vehicle a more sporty feel to me.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    "Sport" mode is a misnomer, and a bit of a stretch when describing the driving characteristics of the XTS. There is no Sport mode mentioned in the Owner's manual when the transmission modes are mentioned. (It does appears under the Magnetic Ride Control description though.) It was even neglected in the index, so that ought to be a hint as to the awesomeness of the "capability" in GM's eyes.

M (Manual mode) is as "sporty" as the XTS gets - and it isn't much, just a heavier feel to the steering, minor shock dampening, and the ability to engage paddle shifters. The closest you're going to get to an exhilarating driving experience in the XTS is speeding downhill in the dark, in the rain, with failed brakes and the cops in pursuit. That'll teach you to try to impress the babysitter when you're taking her home.

The main difference with a V-Sport is a more powerful engine; the suspension/chassis tuning is the same. If you want a sports car experience, you have to step up to a full-blown V model, which does not include the XTS (for obvious reasons.) For a more precise steering/handling experience, the CTS or ATS in their least-equipped trim levels blow the XTS away.

You can put a suit on a pig, --but you still have a pig. Like the CT6, the XTS is a luxurious, highway super-cruiser, --nothing more. It fulfills that role very capably.
    That is strange that it is not referenced anywhere except under the Magnetic Ride Control. It does seem to make a big difference in my vehicle. The car is not as "marshmellowy" as it is in tour mode which I also love on a regular drive. But the car feels more aggressive to me in Sport Mode. This is the description from my STS manual-"While driving in sport mode, the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in normal driving mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration." I wonder if it's the same in the XTS?

Max

Serg675 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS FWD Premuim 3.6 V6, 2014 ATS AWD Luxury 2.0T V4

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    This is the description from my STS manual-"While driving in sport mode, the transmission may remain in a gear longer than it would in normal driving mode based on braking, throttle input, and vehicle lateral acceleration." I wonder if it's the same in the XTS?
    My driving experience tells me that in sport mode transmission stays longer in a lower gear and downshifts more "aggressively" when you press pedal to accelerate. It's how ride feels to me. Can't know for sure if this actually works this way though. It may be just my wishful feelings.

Tmiller39 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Is there a way to keep it in sport mode all the time can I set it as my default

Mr Earl is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Luxury - Graphite Metallic; 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - BRG

So if I switch to Sport Mode by moving the shifter to M while in D, the M doesn't light up until I hit the one of the paddles. After I hit a paddle, the M lights up and it displays the gear it's in on the DIC, but it doesn't seem to upshift until the left paddle is hit again. It does seem to downshift. Is it in Sport Mode when the M is not lighted?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in