Standard vs Sport mode - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Standard vs Sport mode in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Meant right paddle for upshifts. You know, you can't even get a clutch in a new Ferrari? Only paddles. Which ...
    Mr Earl is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Luxury - Graphite Metallic; 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - BRG

Re: Standard vs Sport mode

Meant right paddle for upshifts. You know, you can't even get a clutch in a new Ferrari? Only paddles. Which are weird so far on the XTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

JPRSKI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 XTS Premium, 16 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD, 14 VW CC Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl View Post
    So if I switch to Sport Mode by moving the shifter to M while in D, the M doesn't light up until I hit the one of the paddles. After I hit a paddle, the M lights up and it displays the gear it's in on the DIC, but it doesn't seem to upshift until the left paddle is hit again. It does seem to downshift. Is it in Sport Mode when the M is not lighted?
    The M will light up on the dash right above where the Gear number is shown, it changes to D in normal mode. The M on the shifter will not light when put in to M, at fist I thought the light was burnt out, its just the way they built the car.

Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Luxury - Graphite Metallic; 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - BRG

So there are still unanswered questions:

1. If the shifter is moved to M and the paddles aren't touched, the M on the shifter remains unlit. Is the suspension in Sport mode until until the shifter is moved back to D?

2. If the paddles are used, the DIC shows M with the gear number next to it. If this is done by hitting the right upshift paddle while cruising, "M6" is displayed on the DIC and the M on the shifter becomes lit. If one comes to a stop in this condition, it automatically downshifts. When then accelerating from the stop, it won't upshift unless the left paddle is used. So in manual it will automatically downshift, but won't upshift until commanded?

Mr Earl

So there are still unanswered questions:

1. If the shifter is moved to M and the paddles aren't touched, the M on the shifter remains unlit. Is the suspension in Sport mode until until the shifter is moved back to D?

2. If the paddles are used, the DIC shows M with the gear number next to it. If this is done by hitting the right upshift paddle while cruising, "M6" is displayed on the DIC and the M on the shifter becomes lit. If one comes to a stop in this condition, it automatically downshifts. When then accelerating from the stop, it won't upshift unless the left paddle is used. So in manual it will automatically downshift, but won't upshift until commanded?

Mr Earl
    1. Yes the suspension is still in sport mode until ou go back to D
    2. I did not know it automatically down shifted when using paddles, I only played with them a few times while driving, easier to keep it in automatic sport mode.

Manufactures who add paddle shifters should install useful one's the XTS's are not very good, yes they work but poor ergonomics, like they were added, just because. They really are not needed in this car and would venture to guess most people don't even use them.

jblanton64 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

I have an '06 CTS 2.8 and I changed the alternator and reset the ECM by removing the fuse and replacing it with the key switch on. Now I put into sport shift mode and the indicator light comes on (green s) however, when I try manual mode, it does nothing, odometer doesn't change, it's strictly automatic regardless of whether the shifter is on D or over to the right for sport mode. As I say the indicator light comes on. It was working perfectly normal prior to alternator replacement.

So after some more observations today, when the XTS FWD Luxury shifter is moved to M while stopped in D, without ever touching the paddles, the DIC displays D1 briefly and then switches to a small S for Sport mode, followed by the regular D for Drive, followed by the small gear number that changes as it shifts in auto. Need to use bifocals to read the small gear number. Still haven't figured what it does once a paddle is hit and and M lights up, seems to downshift to 1st gear if you stop without downshifting.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS FWD Platinum

So when you move the transmission shifter into "M" mode, that puts the vehicle into "Sport" mode. The "M" does not light up because it is in "Sport" mode but the transmission will still shift automatically. By using the paddle shifters, that puts the transmission into "Manual" mode where you have to use the paddle shifters to shift. That's why the "M" lights up then to indicate "manual" mode.

Max

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS Premium

I shift it all the way down to Manual/Sport mode and don't use the paddle shifters. This way I don't have to worry about forgetting to shift as it shifts for me based on my speeds and I get the benefit of automatic downshifting when slowing or stopping. But I only do this for highway driving. The car is noticeably more aggressive when the need arises to accelerate from a stop or to pass and move through traffic.
    Maximln likes this.

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

Sport definitely gives mine an added feeling of sure-footedness, especially riding on 18's. Also, minor road imperfections that would not be felt in D, are.

I did not know you could get 18's on a 2013 XTS, my Luxury came with P245/45-19 Goodyear RS-A2s, which appear to be original, about 75% worn at 53K miles. What model 2013 XTS had 18's?

Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

None. They are CT6 takeoffs.

I did not know you could get 18's on a 2013 XTS, my Luxury came with P245/45-19 Goodyear RS-A2s, which appear to be original, about 75% worn at 53K miles. What model 2013 XTS had 18's?
    Fleet versions of the XTS come with 18" tires as standard, otherwise 19" are standard.

Quote Originally Posted by JPRSKI View Post
    Fleet versions of the XTS come with 18" tires as standard, otherwise 19" are standard.
    ...and 6 lug hubs.

Made for Sedan Service over the potholes of NYC and the like?

Made for Sedan Service over the potholes of NYC and the like?
    Limo's, sedan and stretch, mostly, rental cars, and hearses.

2019-gmfleet-cadillac-professional-product-overview-xts-coachbuilder-hearse-masthead-960x510-v2.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in