Trunk Spare Tire Mount! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Trunk Spare Tire Mount! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Max, reuse the plastic retainers that come out of the original piece you are removing. The tire does not fill ...
    RazorKQ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 XTS4

Re: Trunk Spare Tire Mount!

Max, reuse the plastic retainers that come out of the original piece you are removing. The tire does not fill up the space because it is the donut I would guess. If I had to change the tire it would need more room so that is probably why the extra space that is showing. If I had to do it again, I would get a full size tire. I am good at this point though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

GFK
    GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Luxury

Looks nice. But, I think a full-size tire may not fit too well. I recall laying the flat on top of the floor cover panel when I used the spare. Then again, I did not take much time to determine if it would fit either. As I remember, it was a rather cold night.

Maximln is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS FWD Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by RazorKQ View Post
    Max, reuse the plastic retainers that come out of the original piece you are removing. The tire does not fill up the space because it is the donut I would guess. If I had to change the tire it would need more room so that is probably why the extra space that is showing. If I had to do it again, I would get a full size tire. I am good at this point though.
    Ohhh....thank you! So I have to carefully pull them out! lol That makes sense. I'm good with the donut too. I just wanted something to have because that compressor & sealant just won't cut it sometimes! lol

Thanks again,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by GFK View Post
    Looks nice. But, I think a full-size tire may not fit too well. I recall laying the flat on top of the floor cover panel when I used the spare. Then again, I did not take much time to determine if it would fit either. As I remember, it was a rather cold night.
    I think you are probably right. I know when I had the flat in my STS, the full size tire never would have fit under the trim in the well where the donut was. It's always a cold when you have a flat! lol

Max

Man! It took forever for the spare to come in but it finally did. The wheel & the tire came separately. I expected them to come all put together! lol

Max

Finally got the spare tire together & put it. Fits like a glove! It was missing the new tire label. Had to order it. I hope I never have to use the spare but I sure feel safe knowing its there!

Max

Resized_20190208_173151(1) 2.jpg
    GFK and rockit like this.

GFK

Looks nice! Nice job. Looks just like mine.
    Maximln likes this.

frontend is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 etc 13 xts Luxury

Does yours have solid wheel with holes in it or 5 or 6 spokes like I have seen on others?

Thank you GFK! It was a pretty easy job. The hardest part was trying to remove those 2 plastic retainers at the bottom of the storage bin! So hard to get out but so easy to put back in! lol

Max
    GFK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frontend View Post
    Does yours have solid wheel with holes in it or 5 or 6 spokes like I have seen on others?
    I noticed that too. On the pic I had posted on page 1 that someone sent me, his tire has 5 "holes" in it but the tire that I got had the multiple holes in it. I wonder why the variation? Probably different company.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    I noticed that too. On the pic I had posted on page 1 that someone sent me, his tire has 5 "holes" in it but the tire that I got had the multiple holes in it. I wonder why the variation? Probably different company.

Max
    Did you try to install on spindle if not on a nice day you might try. The ones on ebay that auto salvage yards sell that they say came out of 13 to 15 have the spoke type space saver. I have been looking and thought spoke were correct but maybe not.

GFK

I did not pay that too much attention. I guess it looked close enough. But, mine has the spokes. It is the one post 5.

Quote Originally Posted by frontend View Post
    Did you try to install on spindle if not on a nice day you might try. The ones on ebay that auto salvage yards sell that they say came out of 13 to 15 have the spoke type space saver. I have been looking and thought spoke were correct but maybe not.
    I got it from the dealer so it is definitely factory. I think there just might be different types.

Max

More spare tire drama! lol Apparently, I ordered the wrong spare tire kit. I found this part number on a different post (84321654) & I looked it up on gmpartsdirect.com & it was a spare tire kit so I assumed it was the correct part. Apparently, it's an old part number & that's why it took so long to come in. There was only 1 left that was available. That part number does not seem to cross reference with anything so they aren't even sure what vehicle it goes to. I'm thinking probably an early model XTS & then it was superceded to a newer part number or possibly a whole different vehicle. Since the label was missing, GM said they would take the part back & they are going to order me the correct part which of course is a little over $100 more! The moral of this story is don't take part numbers to your parts guy. Let them look it up from your VIN number! lol

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    More spare tire drama! lol Apparently, I ordered the wrong spare tire kit. I found this part number on a different post (84321654) & I looked it up on gmpartsdirect.com & it was a spare tire kit so I assumed it was the correct part. Apparently, it's an old part number & that's why it took so long to come in. There was only 1 left that was available. That part number does not seem to cross reference with anything so they aren't even sure what vehicle it goes to. I'm thinking probably an early model XTS & then it was superceded to a newer part number or possibly a whole different vehicle. Since the label was missing, GM said they would take the part back & they are going to order me the correct part which of course is a little over $100 more! The moral of this story is don't take part numbers to your parts guy. Let them look it up from your VIN number! lol

Max
    Its good you found out before problem on road
    Maximln likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in