From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just traded my 2017 CT6 Premium LUX AWD, Stellar Black/Ebony, for a 2019 XTS Premium Lux AWD, Phantom Gray/Ebony. ...
    MHT
    MHT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD

I just traded my 2017 CT6 Premium LUX AWD, Stellar Black/Ebony, for a 2019 XTS Premium Lux AWD, Phantom Gray/Ebony.
    I was planning to order a 2019 CT6 Premium LUX AWD but for what met my needs, I am glad that I traded for the 2019 XTS.
    IMO the differences in the two cars is very minimal with both having their own seperate identities by the features that they offer.
    I had always said I would not purchase a car with 20" wheels but am surprising pleased with the ride and minimal road noise of the 20" wheels and tires on the XTS.
    rockit and RedCadi like this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

bluebeauty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

Re: From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD

Sounds like a sweet ride. Enjoy!

MHT
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

It is stated that the 2019 XTS has the Automatic Stop Start Feature but I have yet to see it engage. I also noticed that Auto/Stop is not indicated on the Tachometer to show when the engine is in the Stop/Start mode. It is for this reason that I question if the the car really has the Stop Start feature.
    No one at Cadillac Customer Service seemed to be able to answer the question. I will check with the dealership when I have a chance but if any other 2019 owners could chime in on this I would appreciate it. The following came from the CT6 manual. There is no such information in the 2019 XTS Manual:

Tachometer

Caution

If the engine is operated with the rpm’s in the warning area at the high end of the tachometer, the vehicle could be damaged, and the damage would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Do not operate the engine with the rpm’s in the warning area.

The tachometer displays the engine

speed in revolutions per minute (rpm).

Open Source Software : Press SEL while Open Source Software is

highlighted to display open source software information.

For vehicles with the Stop/Start system, when the ignition is on, the tachometer indicates the vehicle

status. When pointing to AUTO STOP, the engine is off but the vehicle is on and can move. The engine could auto start at any time. When the indicator

points to OFF, the vehicle is off.

Auto Stop is not on the Tachometer of the 2019 XTS which is supposed to have this feature. The following is listed at The Cadillac web sight when you build the 2019 XTS and look at it's mechanical features:

MECHANICAL
    3.6L V6 engine
    Stop/start system improves fuel economy1
    304 hp and 264 lb-ft of torque
    1 Estimated L/100 FWD 13.0 city/9.1 hwy/11.2 combined, AWD 13.8 city/9.5 hwy/11.9 combined. Official estimates not yet available.

It is also interesting that if you pull up the 2019 XTS in any dealers inventory the invoice will state Automatic Stop Start but it is not listed as such on the manufacture label attached to the window.

rriddle3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Premium; Previously 2013 ATS 3.6L Auto, 2013 ATS 2.0L Auto

I drove a CT6 for about a week prior to getting my XTS and would be happy with either, but the XTS just felt better to me from a comfort perspective. It makes me sad to think that the 2019 is the end of the road for this model.
    RedCadi likes this.

rockit is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

Interesting. Considering the life cycle of this model, I could see management opting to omit stop/start at the last minute. Personally, I would consider that a good thing.

MHT
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit View Post
    Interesting. Considering the life cycle of this model, I could see management opting to omit stop/start at the last minute. Personally, I would consider that a good thing.
    If it does not have it I am definitely ok with it as I have had it in two previous cars and questioned its worth and rationale.
    I am just Curious as to why Cadillac states that it has it and it appears that it does not.
    If it does not than it would be nice if Cadillac would make the correction along with stating why they decided to pull it.
    You may have hit the nail on the head that if this is the last model year for the XTS why bother to include it.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS Premium

XTS ride is notably better than say a CTS or CT6 performance car. The CT6 is built for road performance and therefore can be a tad more harsh a ride than the more sedate XTS.

Cuthundreville97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Deville Base, Gold, 102,000 miles, Limited Ed. and Comfort + Conven. Packages
    Some would argue that the XTS is the last of the old Cadillac formula of building cars that focus exclusively on comfort, even at the cost of performance. Cars like the CT6, especially with the upcoming CT6-V with the new "Blackwing V8," drive noticeably different from what I've heard and been told, a much firmer, sportier ride. The XTS is tuned for road comfort, and while it's not a waft-mobile like, say, a Fleetwood or Deville, it's definitely more comfortable to cruise in than the rest of the lineup. It really is sad it's going away, I always liked the car.
    RedCadi likes this.

Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum AWD White Diamond '91 Caprice wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)

My own experience with the XTS ride is the 20" wheels and Bridgestone tires was too harsh which is why I changed to 18's and am now happy.
    OTOH my wife's Impala with the 20" BS tires has a more compliant ride, go figure.
    I had a CT6 AWD courtesy car for two days, 19's, standard suspension and was very impressed with the balance of ride and handling. It's on my radar if the day comes when I want to change in a few years.
    MHT, does your XTS have the Bridgestone Potenzas? I see the Prem Lux has the mag ride. FWD or AWD, just curious.

torched10 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
    My 17 xtsv premium luxury rides great on stock rims and tires.i use 34psi cold,but it's great.it does have magvride. As does my 11 xts,which also rides great with mag ride.

MHT

Quote Originally Posted by rockit View Post
    My own experience with the XTS ride is the 20" wheels and Bridgestone tires was too harsh which is why I changed to 18's and am now happy.
    OTOH my wife's Impala with the 20" BS tires has a more compliant ride, go figure.
    I had a CT6 AWD courtesy car for two days, 19's, standard suspension and was very impressed with the balance of ride and handling. It's on my radar if the day comes when I want to change in a few years.
    MHT, does your XTS have the Bridgestone Potenzas? I see the Prem Lux has the mag ride. FWD or AWD, just curious.
    Yes, my 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD has the Bridgestone Potenza RE97 245-40-20 V rated A/S Tires. I am trading them off for the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus and was looking for the tires to be delivered to the store today.
    I changed the Good Year Eagle Touring 245-45-19 to the Michelins Premier and would have done the same on the XTS if the Michelin's came in the 20" Size.
    So far I like the XTS and am glad that I did not trade for the 2019 CT6.
    RedCadi likes this.

Oh, I missed AWD in your title. Mine's my first AWD and it amazed me in slick situations. I made a 3k mi trip in June and couldn't have been happier with the car. I like the classic Cad styling on mine and like the refresh also. I think the XTS has a better interior. For example, look at the bottom half of the doors on the CT6, hard plastic. Also, the XTS sunroof slides into the roof not on top, an upgrade IMO. With today's technology and in normal driving situations, I think the fwd/awd platform makes more sense than rwd/awd. Good luck with yours. I could list one or two minor annoyances, but I'm rambling now.
    RedCadi likes this.

MHT

After 1 mo. and 500 miles I am still enjoying the XTS. I did trade the Bridgestone Potenza's RE97 for the Pirelli Centurato P7 A/S Plus and find the ride on the 20" wheels to be much better but in that they are 20" wheels I accept them for what they are.
    The XTS with 304hp compared to the 335hp of the CT6 is slightly slower at take off from stop but once it gets going and if you are not careful you can very easily exceed the speed limit. IMO and my personal experience with my CT6, I find the XTS to be the better performer as the sometimes harsh shift of the 8L45 transmission in the CT6 was a little disappointing. My CT6 also had a tendency to want to lung forward when stopped and pulling into the garage or a parking space which is something that I have not experienced with the XTS. Some other owners have also complained about the sometimes harsh shift of the transmission and car sometimes lunging forward with the CT6.
    After working with the tone settings of the Bose with 14 speakers, I am now finding it not to be that much different from the Bose Panaray in the CT6. After Cadillac so brilliantly decided to package the Bose Panaray with rear seat entertainment there would have been no way that I would have paid $6,700.00 to put it into a 2019 CT6. As a stand alone in my 2017 CT6 it cost $3,700.
    The HVAC also seems to operate more efficiently in the XTS. The reason for this may partly be due to the center vents sitting slightly higher than in the CT6. There are some trade offs and one is getting back use to the wider A pillars in the XTS and not really being able to see the hood when driving, both of which I experienced with a previously owned 2014 Buick Lacrosse P1, but for me this it is not a deal breaker.
    IMO the interior of the XTS seems to be more luxurious and the seat seating seems more comfortable. The thigh extender on the seats of the XTS has always been an added plus for me. The XTS with its swing away wiper arms makes the windshield easier to clean, especially when cleaning the windshield from the inside on the drivers side as the hump of the dash over the speedometer is a lot higher on the CT6 than the XTS so much so that it is hard to get your hand in between the glass and that hump with the CT6.
    The features that I had in my CT6 but are not available in the XTS are not really anything that I cannot live without and in many ways really did not need. The larger trunk of the XTS and fold down rear seats is another added plus.
    The CT6 and XTS are both real nice cars and I really cannot see where you could go wrong with either. I do not know how true this is but I find it believable that, In an article that I read, although this is the last model year for the XTS, it will be redesigned and will return and will replace the CT6, with Cadillac anything is possible.
    GFK, rockit and RedCadi like this.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Nice comparo, since I'll likely opt for a CT6 as my next Cadillac, but I enjoy hearing the reviews of those who've driven both long-term. I'm leaning more toward a 2019 now (in 2022) with the more powerful engine options. CPO deals are more attractive to me since the prior owners get to eat the depreciation. (I've bought two Cadillacs new and won't repeat that mistake again.) One of my biggest concerns with the CT6 are the reported problems with the ten-speed transmission.

A few questions and thoughts: You gave up a few things to get others with the XTS and I can appreciate that.

1. How do the XTS AFL lights compare to the cornering lights on the CT6? AFL is a feature I really like.

2. Is the Night Vision feature an under-used gimmick? For deer lurking in the woods near the sides of the road here, I think it could be useful. At some point, an IR display will make it to eye level on the windshield where it belongs. With the current placement on the IP is it really noticeable or a PITA to monitor?

3. I was surprised by your review of the 34-speaker Panaray system as opposed to the 14-speaker system in the XTS. But I have to agree, the rear seat entertainment package is something I would rarely (if ever) see a need for. While the XTS system sounds very good (especially with the more spacious volume of the XTS) compared to the CTS or ATS, I had hoped the Panaray would be able to fill the volume as well. Being subjective, I'll need to check that out.

4. Massaging seats sound good after a long day - though they'e available on the XTS (now) the CT6 has more settings (15), plus rear seat availability.

5. Active Chassis System: Was this much to give up, especially on the freeway or tight spaces when parking?

6. Interior: In my opinion, the XTS is the best interior Cadillac has ever executed. A lot of thought went into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkHh56TZsaA With as many styling similarities with the exteriors of the ATS, CTS, and CT6 (they pretty much look the same from a distance) I'm surprised the interiors didn't follow up on the XTS's lead.

7. Interior/ Exterior Lighting: Well done too.
    RedCadi likes this.

MHT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    Nice comparo, since I'll likely opt for a CT6 as my next Cadillac, but I enjoy hearing the reviews of those who've driven both long-term. I'm leaning more toward a 2019 now (in 2022) with the more powerful engine options. CPO deals are more attractive to me since the prior owners get to eat the depreciation. (I've bought two Cadillacs new and won't repeat that mistake again.) One of my biggest concerns with the CT6 are the reported problems with the ten-speed transmission.

A few questions and thoughts: You gave up a few things to get others with the XTS and I can appreciate that.

than when it was first introduced.

1. How do the XTS AFL lights compare to the cornering lights on the CT6? AFL is a feature I really like.

2. Is the Night Vision feature an under-used gimmick? For deer lurking in the woods near the sides of the road here, I think it could be useful. At some point, an IR display will make it to eye level on the windshield where it belongs. With the current placement on the IP is it really noticeable or a PITA to monitor?

3. I was surprised by your review of the 34-speaker Panaray system as opposed to the 14-speaker system in the XTS. But I have to agree, the rear seat entertainment package is something I would rarely (if ever) see a need for. While the XTS system sounds very good (especially with the more spacious volume of the XTS) compared to the CTS or ATS, I had hoped the Panaray would be able to fill the volume as well. Being subjective, I'll need to check that out.

4. Massaging seats sound good after a long day - though they'e available on the XTS (now) the CT6 has more settings (15), plus rear seat availability.

5. Active Chassis System: Was this much to give up, especially on the freeway or tight spaces when parking?

6. Interior: In my opinion, the XTS is the best interior Cadillac has ever executed. A lot of thought went into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkHh56TZsaA With as many styling similarities with the exteriors of the ATS, CTS, and CT6 (they pretty much look the same from a distance) I'm surprised the interiors didn't follow up on the XTS's lead.

7. Interior/ Exterior Lighting: Well done too.
    The present CT6 has the 8L45 8 speed transmission were you may have seen some reports of sometimes harsh shifts at low speeds and under certain circumstances a tendency for the car to so times want to lung forward from a dead stop and pulling forward. The 2019 CT6 will have the 10L90 10 speed transmission which I was told by my service manager was a nice and much better transmission than the 8L45. He also stated that the 10L90 is much improved.

The 2019 XTS is said to have cornering lights but if so they do not seem to light up as well as in the CT6. I am going to check again tonight. Thinking that the car did not have them I may not have paying that much attention.

As I did not have night vision I can not speak on that other than it was not anything that really interest me.

The Bose Panaray is an awesome sound system but for the cost I enjoy the Bose 14 speaker in my XTS just as much.

I also did not have massaging seats and found the adjustable lumbar to be adequate.

I did not have the Active Chassis as this was another feature that did not impress me.

Both the interiors of the CT6 and XTS are nice but I will give the XTS the edge.

The bottom line for me was my decison not to trade for the 2019 CT6 had anything to do with not liking my 2017 CT6 but after looking at the 2019 XTS, I realized that it was really a better fit for me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in