From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Mht, are you finding that the 20 inch wheel gives too harsh a ride? I was tossing aroundthe idea of ...
    Cadjiek is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 xts Premium fwd 2009 CTS AWD

Re: From a 2017 CT6 Premium Lux AWD TO a 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD

Mht, are you finding that the 20 inch wheel gives too harsh a ride? I was tossing aroundthe idea of a 2019 Premium-luxury but I hear alot of complaints with regards to the 20 inch wheels. My 2015 premium has 19's and at times can feel a little harsh at times too. We would keep the 2015 XTS and replace the 09 CTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

MHT
    MHT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Mht, are you finding that the 20 inch wheel gives too harsh a ride? I was tossing aroundthe idea of a 2019 Premium-luxury but I hear alot of complaints with regards to the 20 inch wheels. My 2015 premium has 19's and at times can feel a little harsh at times too. We would keep the 2015 XTS and replace the 09 CTS.
    They are not unbearable but was just curious if the 19"wheels would provide even a smoother ride and a little less road noise. If The Michelin Premier A/S or even the GoodYear Touring were manufacture in a size 245-40-20 V this might be even a better option than the Bridgestone's and than again I like the polish finish offered in the 19" better than the painted finish on the 20's.
    In that the Premimum Luxury comes with all the equipment I desired, I would not have settled for the 2019 XTS Luxury just for the sake of 19" Wheels. I may just test drive a 2019 XTS with 19" wheels just to see for myself wether or not there is a significant difference in ride.
    I have always had cars with 19" so 20" was stepping outside the box for me.

i may have to take a rest drive too. XTS inventory is pretty low at my dealer right now. There are no premium luxury models around to be had.

One thing to mention. If you take a Luxury out for a test drive, it may not be a true comparison. The Luxury model does not have MRC and air springs like the Premium.

MHT
    Automobile(s): 2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk

One thing to mention. If you take a Luxury out for a test drive, it may not be a true comparison. The Luxury model does not have MRC and air springs like the Premium.
    You are right, but if there is a remote chance the ride is slightly better without MRC or Air Springs than I would think that the ride will be even much better with MRC and Air Springs.
    I could wait and test drive a 2019 CT6 Premium Luxury which will now have 19" Wheels and MRC but than you are talking about a car with a 122" wheel base opposed to a car with an 111" Wheel base.
    I would not be surprised if Cadillac did not put 19 " wheels on the 2019 XTS Premium Lux to give the CT6 a slight edge in ride quality over the XTS.
    It makes no senes for Cadillac not to offer more than one wheel size for the 2019 XTS Premium Lux and add icing to the cake to not even offer a Polished Finish Wheel, we are talking a Premium Lux Car.

Who knows what the reasoning was for only one wheel selection. If it makes you feel any better, the 20 inch wheel looks good with your color. I always liked the look of those wheels even if they are not polished aluminum. I would be happy with them but again my only concern was the ride. Others on this forum are happy with the 20 inch. CC is.

Mrgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS 4 CPO

I'm just guessing here. I think they went with the mag ride system on the 20" wheels. The 19 and under likely ride good enough with normal shocks etc. who knows.

MHT

Who knows what the reasoning was for only one wheel selection. If it makes you feel any better, the 20 inch wheel looks good with your color. I always liked the look of those wheels even if they are not polished aluminum. I would be happy with them but again my only concern was the ride. Others on this forum are happy with the 20 inch. CC is.
    Thank you, as I stated the ride is not terribly harsh. I also feel that a better tire would make the improvements that I am looking for and it is for this reason that I may wait until after the first of the year to see if either Michelin or GoodYear might offer a better alternative to the Bridgstone Potenza RE97 245-40-20 V.

My sales person is going to let me test drive a 2019 XTS with 19" Wheels this morning. I will report back with the results and comparison. The OEM tires on the car are Goodyear Eagle Touring A/S 245-45-19 V Grand Touring.

MHT
    Quote Originally Posted by MHT View Post
    Thank you, as I stated the ride is not terribly harsh. I also feel that a better tire would make the improvements that I am looking for and it is for this reason that I may wait until after the first of the year to see if either Michelin or GoodYear might offer a better alternative to the Bridgstone Potenza RE97 245-40-20 V.

My sales person is going to let me test drive a 2019 XTS with 19" Wheels this morning. I will report back with the results and comparison. The OEM tires on the car are Goodyear Eagle Touring A/S 245-45-19 V Grand Touring.
    I just got back from the test drive and I find that the 19” wheels and tires give a much better ride and are quieter.
    The OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS 245-40-20 V rated Grand Touring are more of a performance tire and that is one of the problems.
    I really think if Goodyear made the Eagle Touring and Michelin made the Pemire A/S in the 245-40-20 V, either might be a better option than having to go to a 19” wheel.
    My hesitation on making the switch is not so much as cost but rather putting a wheel and tire size different than that listed on the drivers door and that were originally installed on the car.

Thanks for that information. Maybe just keep the 20 's for now and when you are ready for new tires you can explore some more. I would be hesitant to change the original wheels too.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by MHT View Post
    My hesitation on making the switch is not so much cost but putting a different wheel and tire size different than that listed on the drivers door and originally put on the car.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. My "regular" wheels are 19", and my winter tires are on 18" wheels. There are no issues with handling and performance between the two.

MHT

I had put the Pirelli Centurato P7 Plus A/S 245-40-20 V on my car but ended up putting the Bridgestone's back on because the Pirelli did not sit on the wheels right and seem not to hold tire pressure well. Now that I think about it they did give a softer ride and emitted a little less road noise than the Bridgestone's. The ride was much the same as with the 19" wheels.
    The Goodyear Eagle Touring which is also used as an OEM Tire also is far better than the Bridgestone's but in my size it would be W speed rated which could firm up the ride but would be quieter and than again the ride may not be any firmer, I will check with the tire dealer.
    At any rate I have decided to stay with the OEM 20" set up and will either try the GoodYear W Speed Rated or wait and see who comes out with a V speed rated next year.
    I just can't justify the cost to switch to 19" wheel and tires and pay for something that for whatever reason Cadillac chose not to do. To only offer one wheel for the XTS Premium Lux and Platimum IMO is totally ridiculous.
    For those who say no problem going outside the OEM set up, I will just say good luck if you have an accident or there is some sort of handling problem with the car as at this point I could easily see Cadillac/GM saying owner should not have changed from OEM set up.

MHT

Service manager advised against changing from 20" to 19" wheels. He said the car was set up for and with the 20" wheels for a reason and it would be better to stay with that set up so it looks like when the opportunity avails it's self, I will just go with a different tire other than the OEM Bridgestone's.

Mrgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS 4 CPO

What ever makes you feel good. Last year I changed from 20's to 18's Pirelli p7. Showed my service tech last month when I had my car serviced. He said nice tires and wheels, bet it rides a lot better. Nothing about the difference.

MHT

I just received a call back from Cadillac Executive Referral and they are saying that it is not recommend to change the wheels from the OEM set up on the car and that a Cadillac dealership would not and should not switch the wheels. I was told that I would have to have it done else where. With that being said I will keep my 20" wheels and just wait for a different and hopefully better tire the same size and speed rating as the OEM tire or Pirelli.
    The ride on the OEM Bridgestone's Potenza 97 A/S 245-40-20 95V is really not that bad nor is the tire noise.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in