Deer whistles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rudeney
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac XT5 First Generation Forum (2017+) Discussion, Deer whistles in Cadillac XT5 Forums; I have always installed deer whistles on my vehicles and haven't hit one yet. Both logic and superstition urge me ...
    Arminius is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XT5

Deer whistles

I have always installed deer whistles on my vehicles and haven't hit one yet. Both logic and superstition urge me to install them on my XT5 before the "deadliest animal in North America" does its worst. Where will I put them?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

rudeney is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5

Re: Deer whistles

We have a lot of deer around where I live and it seems everyone I know has had an encounter. The problem is, I see no evidence that whistles work. I know this is anecdotal, but my parents always kept deer whistles on their cars and yet my mother still had a collision with one. Honestly, I think the solution is larger quotas for hunters and a longer hunting season. i personally do not hunt and never have, but I know many who do and I'd love to see them have more opportunity to enjoy their sport while reducing the number of these dangerous animals.
    RudyF6 likes this.

byrdman is online now RIP Officer Tara O'Sullivan
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 149K miles

https://www.lifewire.com/do-car-deer...s-work-4061222 Your call, but I've never installed one, nor ever had a deer encounter. Much of my driving is in rural north east Texas. Seeing deer is a regular thing.

WEMTX is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XT5, Tarnished Brass Edition

Constantly see them. So far never hit them. Been very lucky.
    I've always been told that deer whistles don't work.

I was looking at the lowest grill opening but see a sensor there, presumably ultrasonic (as are the whistles.) I'm a little embarrassed by my superstitious attachment to these things and am looking for an inconspicuous spot. Once we had skied at Fernie and were returning to Seattle through eastern Washington and there was a plaque of observable deer and deer carcasses. Glad to have whistles then. Always happy to have them on my motorcycle. Maybe I should go for a St. Christopher medallion instead.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Over here - Maryland's Eastern Shore - we have a large, mobile white tail deer population. The standard joke is to "install a deer whistle so the critters can locate your car to jump in front of". Leave your money in your wallet. The best "deer whistle" here is a .32 Winchester Special at 40 yards.

Attentive driving at dusk and dawn, especially during rut, is the trick. If your car and a deer are moving so as to arrive in the same spot at the same time a deer whistle isn't going to prevent that.
    rudeney likes this.

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

I have a rock that keeps tigers away, if you want to buy it.

Max

philly88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 17 XT5 / 08 CTS

The whistles are so small and easy to hide that if it makes you feel better then go ahead, no harm, not as if they are expensive. I've never used one and never hit a deer either but have had plenty of them run right in front of me on the highway, luckily up to now they've been out of striking range. We also have a ton of moose in Ontario, and those suckers love to just stand in the middle of the road waiting to be hit. Those guys do mega damage and are very dangerous to hit. Don't think the whistle would alarm a moose who's just standing there. For the price and ease of use, if it makes you feel better I say hey go for it. All the other comments about shooting deer and such are pointless when you're on the highway doing 100 and a deer jumps in front of you. We have plenty of hunting where I am and the deer / moose / bears on the road are not affected by hunting. More often than not they are being driven out of the bush to the road while they are attempting to get away from bugs eating them.

Can't find a good, inconspicuous place to put them. I'll get by without deer whistles.

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Maybe on the roof tucked on the inboard side of the roof rack rails? Just stay away from the plugged double hole locations where the cross rails mount. In the event you decide to get them, you don't want the whistles in the way.

Max

I've got cross rails but they would look too obvious mounted under the front one. I read in the paper today about "zombie" deer. I think I should move on. Then there are the angry psychedelic elk of Tacoma, WA.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in