2017 XT5 engine quits after fueling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac XT5 First Generation Forum (2017+) Discussion, 2017 XT5 engine quits after fueling in Cadillac XT5 Forums; Hello. My mother's 2017 XT5 with about 70k miles has a problem. After fueling the car starts normally then about ...
    seahawker01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2017 XT5 engine quits after fueling

Hello. My mother's 2017 XT5 with about 70k miles has a problem. After fueling the car starts normally then about a 1/4 mile later the engine stumbles and quits while traveling down the road. Today I had to restart it 3 times before it began running normally. After these episodes it runs well until the next refueling event. My parents have taken the car to the dealership but they were of no help (as it throws no codes). On a whim I replaced and tested the EVAP purge valve. Its not a purge valve problem. No check engine light and no codes stored. Because it runs fine most of the time I assume its not a fuel pump issue. The only thing I can think of is the computer board going bad?? Does anybody have any other ideas???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550

Re: 2017 XT5 engine quits after fueling

Quote Originally Posted by seahawker01 View Post
    Hello. My mother's 2017 XT5 with about 70k miles has a problem. After fueling the car starts normally then about a 1/4 mile later the engine stumbles and quits while traveling down the road. Today I had to restart it 3 times before it began running normally. After these episodes it runs well until the next refueling event. My parents have taken the car to the dealership but they were of no help (as it throws no codes). On a whim I replaced and tested the EVAP purge valve. Its not a purge valve problem. No check engine light and no codes stored. Because it runs fine most of the time I assume its not a fuel pump issue. The only thing I can think of is the computer board going bad?? Does anybody have any other ideas???
    Try not filling all the way to the top and see what results you get. Stop short 3 or 4 gallons of full. If it runs fine, then top off the remaining till the pump clicks, then stop immediately, don't try to squeeze more fuel in. If you get the same result, it must be the canister.

Cutlass is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2

Purge was my first guess. But since that’s not it, maybe there is something going on in the fuel tank or the fuel tank vent valve.

njacobsen is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright

After fueling the car starts normally then about a 1/4 mile later the engine stumbles and quits while traveling down the road. Today I had to restart it 3 times before it began running normally.
    Do you try to fill the tank beyond the first time the pump clicks off? If so, you may have saturated the canister with raw fuel.
    Nice Ride and KC0KEK like this.

Ill test that. Thanks. Do you know how involved it is to replace the canister? I have never done one.

Again it is my mom's but she says she does not fill past the click. But it is worth checking the canister. Thanks.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550

Ill test that. Thanks. Do you know how involved it is to replace the canister? I have never done one.
    Had this happen on my Escalade, I would fill till the brim, In the winter, the truck would go about 100 yards then stumble..... On my SRX, it would run rough like bad timing belt.... Was the canister. I never over fill anymore.

KC0KEK is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    you may have saturated the canister with raw fuel.
    Could you elaborate? For example, where is the canister in relation to the tank? Up by the fill opening, right? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KC0KEK View Post
    Could you elaborate? For example, where is the canister in relation to the tank? Up by the fill opening, right? Thanks.
    Here is a sketch of where it is:
    Attached Images
    KC0KEK likes this.

Thanks. I didn't know there is a canister. I assumed that the fuel went straight from the fill opening into the tank. What does the canister do?

Quote Originally Posted by KC0KEK View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know there is a canister. I assumed that the fuel went straight from the fill opening into the tank. What does the canister do?
    EVAP System Operation

The EVAP control system limits fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. Fuel tank vapors are allowed to move from the fuel tank, due to pressure in the tank, through the EVAP vapor tube, into the EVAP canister. Carbon in the canister absorbs and stores the fuel vapors. Excess pressure is vented through the vent hose and EVAP vent solenoid valve to the atmosphere. The EVAP canister stores the fuel vapors until the engine is able to use them. At an appropriate time, the engine control module (ECM) will command the EVAP purge solenoid valve ON, allowing engine vacuum to be applied to the EVAP canister. With the normally open EVAP vent solenoid valve OFF, fresh air is drawn through the vent solenoid valve and the vent hose to the EVAP canister. Fresh air is drawn through the canister, pulling fuel vapors from the carbon. The air/fuel vapor mixture continues through the EVAP purge tube and EVAP purge solenoid valve into the intake manifold to be consumed during normal combustion. The ECM uses several tests to determine if the EVAP system is leaking or restricted.
    Attached Images
    KC0KEK likes this.

Thanks!

But if you are only filling to the click and not over filling by repeatedly fill, click, fill, click...the canister would only over saturate if there is a problem with another component like the tank’s built in fill limit valve or something else.

Hello. My mother's 2017 XT5 with about 70k miles has a problem.
    Your Emission Warranty is 8 years / 80,000 miles. The symptoms point to an Emission Systems issue that can be fixed under warranty.
    Marc NY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njacobsen View Post
    Your Emission Warranty is 8 years / 80,000 miles. The symptoms point to an Emission Systems issue that can be fixed under warranty.
    However, the 8/80 “Emissions” warranty covers very little. It really only covers 2 very expensive repairs...the Cat converter and the engine control module.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in