XT5 COMPLETE loss of power while driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac XT5 First Generation Forum (2017+) Discussion, XT5 COMPLETE loss of power while driving in Cadillac XT5 Forums; Hi everyone, This is my first post, and I am really hoping for some help. I have a 2017 XT5 ...
    Jmarie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5

XT5 COMPLETE loss of power while driving

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, and I am really hoping for some help. I have a 2017 XT5 with 22,000 miles. 2 weeks ago I went to leave work and my car wouldn't start. Wouldn't even attempt to turn over. Dealership sent a mechanic out thinking it was the battery. Well it wasn't. Had to be towed to dealership, after brand new battery did nothing. Dealership determined it was a electrical issue with the shifter and installed a brand new shifter. I brought it home and all seemed to be fine again. Until about a week later I was on the highway (luckily at a stop light right off of a ramp) when I lost complete power. It did the normal thing of turning off at a stop, then all the sudden it completely died. I had nothing, no power steering, no brakes, no lights, couldn't put my windows up or down, auto doors didn't work, couldn't shift into neutral to get off the road, and worse off all I couldn't even turn on my flashers to let others know I was broke down. I was by myself and completely terrified of being rear ended. Needless to say it was towed to the dealership again and I am currently awaiting to see what they find. I should also mention that by the time I made it to the dealership to get a loaner car (hrs later) my car was still on the back of the tow truck because they couldn't get the break to release to get it off the truck. When I left they were "putting jacks under the back end to try to release pressure"
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if so what ended up happening? I am also very concerned to get it back and trust that this won't happen again. I am just truly grateful this didn't happen while I was traveling 65 mph.
    namealreadytaken likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Re: XT5 COMPLETE loss of power while driving

This happened to my father a few months after he got his 2017. Apparently the primary fuse assembly which is attached to the battery failed. Was not torqued to spec, and jiggled loose while driving on a gravel road. Shorted out, complete loss of power while driving, causing EVERYTHING to lock up, including all four wheels. When the new electronic shifter loses power, it defaults to park (hence why, you can turn off the engine without shifting to park, and it will do it automatically for you). Skidded to a stop inches from falling into a ditch. Had to be dragged onto a tow truck bed. Tow driver said he was lucky he was on gravel, if on pavement he would have rolled over and over.

Towed to a Buick dealer, as he was on a road trip hours from a Caddy dealer. After fighting with GM a bit, they allowed the Buick guy to swap out the assembly from a Buick model they had on the lot (coincidentally it used the same assembly). Worked fine after the change, and ever since. Did have the battery fail a few months later once winter hit. Dad insisted they replace the battery at the time of the assembly change as he figured the battery was damaged too, but they 'tested' and said OK. Nope. Come winter, battery failed, sure enough.

Max

Wow, sounds like we were both lucky not to driving at high speeds when this happened. Thank you for your response, that gives me hope that this might not happen again. I will definitely be calling the dealership tomorrow.

Domtesta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2016 CT6 Premium Luxury, 2017 XT5 Platinum

I had EXACTLY the same experience as Jmarie with my 2017 XT5, 25,000 miles. I was in stop and go traffic on the Kennedy expressway in Chicago on a Saturday afternoon. The auto-stop-start was activating in traffic as expected. I exited at Nagle Ave and stopped at the stoplight at the end of the exit ramp. The vehicle completely shut down as the auto-stop kicked in.

There was no life in the vehicle at all- door locks, windows, lights, instruments, etc. Disturbingly, OnStar and hazard flashers were dead. (I guess the OnStar emergency backup battery only activates in a crash.) I felt very vulnerable without flashers so I called 911 first. (BTW, they were useless. They asked if I was on the ramp (State police) or the street (Chicago police). Well. I'm at the street stoplight at the end of the ramp. Ultimately, no one showed up in a timely manner.)

I looked thorough the owner's manual for Cadillac roadside assistance. They were very nice and sympathetic. As we were getting my information detailed, the vehicle came back to life. I pulled off into a safe area. Roadside assistance offered to still tow me but things were working OK so I declined a tow (40 miles from home). I was getting DIC messages like the windows need to calibrated that indicated that everything reset after a power failure.

I'm an easygoing guy and things happen so I didn't get TOO nuts about this. BUT, no hazard flashers and no OnStar was very disturbing to me. What if this had been at night with no lights? I was pretty upset about that! (The more I thought about this, I figured almost any modern vehicle today would lose flashers and connectivity on a complete power loss like this as all lights and equipment are now driven from electronic body control modules. Loose connections can happen to anything.)

I had my local dealer pick up the XT5 on Monday morning. They replaced the primary fuse assembly as it was "loose". I'm glad they found a definite issue. It was unclear why they replaced it rather than just tightening it. (Perhaps there was some damage due to arcing.) It's been fine for the months since then. It's also unclear why the vehicle came back to life in it's own. (Something cooled down and reestablished contact?)

I begged them to disable the auto-stop-start if they were able. No-go on that. I suppose I wouldn't have a had a problem right then and there if auto-stop hadn't kicked in. Would the alternator kept it alive? Would it have not started after I shut down the next time, who knows? I guess Maximunkk's story indicates that problems like this could happen as you are driving along.

I recommend that everyone have the Cadillac roadside assistance phone number in their cell phones if this happens and they can't easily get into their vehicle. You might also ask your dealer to check the primary fuse assembly "tightness" next time your vehicle is in for service.
    Nice Ride and KC0KEK like this.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XT5 (2017)

These are serious occurrences and should probably be reported to the NHTSA. Perhaps others have had similar experiences, are not members of this forum, haven't reported here, etc.,; if more widespread, we need to know.
    RedCadi likes this.

namealreadytaken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX (gone/gremlins) 2018 XT5 AWD Lux

These experiences are extremely disconcerting. A major safety breach to say the least.
    What a relief that no one was injured, and thanks to you three for posting about it.

My first thought was Lemon Law these cars, but it's too late for that now. It ain't right though.
    RedCadi likes this.

philly88 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 17 XT5 / 08 CTS

Seriously, I can't believe this is a thing. I've been doing a lot of highway driving with the XT5 as of late and can't imagine everything locking up at high speeds. I've had plenty of issues with DIGITAL stuff becoming completely useless where an analogue version was always a better option. The prime example is the emergency brake, once it messes up that's it, you're locked on the spot. Why in the world do we need digital parking brakes WITHOUT a manual override. And the whole digital shifter to me is stupid. Both the wife and I bump the XT5 into manual mode all the time by accident. It's too easy to do. I've never done that with analogue shifters in my CTS or former SRX. You really can't do it by accident.

Thanks everyone for the support. I just got off the phone with the dealership, and I asked them to look at the "primary fuse assembly." He looked that up in the computer and couldn't find anything.
    I am wondering if anyone has or knows of a 'bulletin" number that would reference this fuse assembly? He said that's how they look things up..?

I just used the same description Maximunkk used. I don't recall the exact name on my repair order. I will try to look it up tomorrow.

In any event, it is an assembly adjacent to the battery that has all the heavy duty fuses. You can't miss it if you're looking at the battery. Your dealer should be able to troubleshoot this as described.

I hesitated to tell my story some months back because I thought it was an isolated incident. I didn't want to spread unnecessary fear and concern. Now that I see others have similar issues, it's good to add to the common knowledge.

Even after this, I still really like my XT5 (and my CT6).
    Marc NY likes this.

By the way, I love the electronic shifter on the XT5. Very handy to just shut off the engine and have auto park and auto brake engage. My CT6 has the electronic parking brake but the old fashioned mechanical shifter. Not nearly as convenient.

Mechanical things aren't perfect and electrical things aren't perfect but I'll bet on electrons ultimately being more reliable than moving parts.

Paxton350 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XT5

Where abouts is the Primary fuse assembly located?..Curious may check it myself and see if it needs tightening to be safe.

As I recall, this fuse assembly is just to the right of the battery (as you're standing on the driver side of the vehicle).

Here's what my December 2018 repair order noted:

Caused by loose and deformed positive battery post
    Corrected by fuse block replacement
    Installed 84082210 :SL-N-BLOCK (02483-KT) 84082 Qty: 1
    Replaced positive battery post

I realize this might generate a bunch of questions that I can't answer. I think of the battery post as a non-replaceable part of the battery itself. That, apparently, is not what they mean here. I "suspect" that they replaced a fuse assembly that connected directly to the positive battery terminal. The part of the fuse assembly that makes the battery connection was loose or smashed or something.

For those of us that are concerned about this, I would just check around the positive battery terminal area for anything that doesn't look "right or tight". Good luck.
    KC0KEK likes this.

Paxton350 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XT5

Thanks for the info..Will check it this week

Maximumkk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD - Silver Coast w/ Shale-Brownstone

Next time I'm visiting my dad, I'll ask to see his repair file and look up any info I can on what they did to his XT5.

Max

centexcad2018 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I do not like the electronic shifters. My BMW's had them and yes they are easily knocked out of gear. Passenger can do this with working
    with a laptop. I don't drive the XT5 much, but use to the Escalades, old school column shift. Dash controls may not be
    a bad idea as some makes.

Not Caddy but Corvette. I had a pin break 3 times in the shifter. You were basically dead in the water. Electric doors (manual under seat only way out) , windows, or
    move the shifter, all dead. Now it started sometimes. Strange all lighting would not go off. They managed to get it on a tow truck all times. So no e brake i guess.
    If door was open it would not shut, since electric latch, one tow driver taped closed, loaded on trailer and left the car running for the hour
    plus trip to the dealership. later heard this was illegal to do. If it would have fallen off been a good place for that lemon. GM/dealership said move the shifter slowly
    do not move till a click. The intermittent complete loss of power like mentioned here, GM said nothing wrong, even doing it in the service bay twice. Another when
    picking up after a fix (LOL). It did not throw a code so had no clue what to do, was never cured. Even FOB would not control the cars electrics.

if waited for an hourish would fire back up. But it gave them no code to start looking. Why I can not explain kept it 10ys,
    in the spare garage, out of site out of mind, let it sit. I did finally trade it in, only had 10,000 miles

know off topic but its some problems other GM's have shown with all the electronic, leaving you dead in the water. Another
    on the same transport had the same problem. Was a member of our club and he traded off a few month later, he said was
    not going to mess with it. In Fla an elderly died in a Vette because he could not get out. Think they blamed it on,
    he did not know how to operate the car. I wondered if his was a similar problem, and he did not know of the manual door
    release under the seat and over come by the heat.

Good to hear you guys are reporting this, sounds like could be a recall in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in