Range AFM disabler
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac XT5 First Generation Forum (2017+) Discussion, Range AFM disabler in Cadillac XT5 Forums; Has anyone had any experience installing the Range AFM disabler. It now has the ability to also eliminate the stop ...
    mmiller1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XT5

Range AFM disabler

Has anyone had any experience installing the Range AFM disabler. It now has the ability to also eliminate the stop start function. I was thinking of getting one for my 2017 XT5 and want to see if anyone has installed one and how well it is working.
    skyhighdiver likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

skyhighdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 2018 XT5 Premium lux AWD

Re: Range AFM disabler

following

namealreadytaken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX (gone/gremlins) 2018 XT5 AWD Lux

Quote Originally Posted by skyhighdiver View Post
    following
    same

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright

You guys know you can follow a thread by subscribing instead of an empty post?

Click on the "Cadillac Discussion Tools" pull-down and select "Subscribe to this thread".

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux

I too have purchased one recently and will share the positives and negatives of this device after I have a little more time on it, Stay tuned!

pcr1218 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2018 XT5 Luxury, Stellar Black Metallic w/ Black Ice Package

I have the Range AFM Disabler installed and so far it is working out great. I too will post more on it when I have a little more time on it. If anyone is thinking about doing this you need the latest version (V8.6R1) for the stop/start disable feature.
    namealreadytaken likes this.

RobertNM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XT5 & Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by pcr1218 View Post
    I have the Range AFM Disabler installed and so far it is working out great. I too will post more on it when I have a little more time on it. If anyone is thinking about doing this you need the latest version (V8.6R1) for the stop/start disable feature.
    If someone would let me know what the Range AFM Disabler does, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Automobile(s): 07 CTS(Sold) 07 Escalade(Sold) 17 Buick Envision, 17 ZL1 Camaro, 18 XT5 Premium/Lux

Quote Originally Posted by RobertNM View Post
    If someone would let me know what the Range AFM Disabler does, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Bob
    Hi RobertNM check out the following thread "Possible new auto start/stop disable method found." There is a detailed review of what the Range AFM disabler does and opinions owners using it on their XT5's.

Arminius is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Let me suggest that all future comments regarding The Range AFM disabler be posted on this thread rather than the "Possible new auto start/stop disable method found." thread. I am interested in the comments of actual users and this thread has the appropriate title. Let me ask, if an XT5 owner had no concern with the "V4" icon occasionally illuminating, would the Range AFM Disabler be a good way to eliminate stop/start? If so, would there be additional benefits or drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Let me suggest that all future comments regarding The Range AFM disabler be posted on this thread rather than the "Possible new auto start/stop disable method found." thread. I am interested in the comments of actual users and this thread has the appropriate title. Let me ask, if an XT5 owner had no concern with the "V4" icon occasionally illuminating, would the Range AFM Disabler be a good way to eliminate stop/start? If so, would there be additional benefits or drawbacks?

Arminius, I would have to say yes to this, only because their are no perceived downsides to using the Range device (that we know of). No issues with Remote Start, possible battery issue, no possible effect on safety systems and simple removal for service if needed. The only drawback I can see at this time is the price of the unit and its possible longevity. IMHO

Not to digress but I would also like to mention those with access to an HPTuners unit can deactivate AFM (but not stop/start yet). The XT5 is one of the supported vehicles. This would eliminate the need for an external device to be plugged into the OBD2 port all the time. But with that said this is something I think would be better left to the pros.

RobertNM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XT5 & Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post
    Hi RobertNM check out the following thread "Possible new auto start/stop disable method found." There is a detailed review of what the Range AFM disabler does and opinions owners using it on their XT5's.
    Thank you.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post
    Not to digress but I would also like to mention those with access to an HPTuners unit can deactivate AFM (but not stop/start yet).
    Wouldn't GM see the ECM code change if HPTuners is used?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertNM View Post
    Thank you.
    Bob
    If you are interested in further detail, take a look at the FAQ's on the Range website. They do recommend removal of the device for a period of time before an emission test to make certain all codes, if any, are aged and deleted.

Arminius is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This site says you may get some oil smoking, as follows:
    "An AFM Disabler is an electronic device that plugs into the OBD-II port, under the dashboard. It prevents the computer from switching over to four-cylinder mode. It’s a simple and effective way to turn off the AFM system and provides the added bonus of improving exhaust sound.
    NOTE: A disabler device should ONLY be used if the valvetrain is in good working order.
    Engines with AFM use a high-volume oil pump. When you eliminate the AFM system, the extra oil is no longer needed. Excess oil will be pushed out of the pressure relief valve into the oil pan. This will spray oil on the bottom of the cylinder walls which can cause oil burning, especially in high-rpm engines." "On All Cylinders, an auto blog",
    https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/...on-gm-engines/
    GM Authority says there is a MPG benefit to be lost: "The primary benefit of Cylinder Deactivation/AFM is higher fuel economy without downsizing engines. The technology can improve fuel economy by up to 12 percent without sacrificing performance.
    Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/general-motors-technology/general-motors-propulsion-technology/general-motors-active-fuel-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/#ixzz5jKVh7TcF"

I stripped a motorcycle oil pump drive gear once by revving it out when cold because it sounded good and there was an audience. A consumer protection department in an adjoining office handled multiple claims for broken oil pump drive shafts after a "Quickie" type oil change shop tapped a barrel of gear oil and put it in consumers' crankcases. GM had big problems with cylinder deactivation in the '80s. I guess I would tread with care. These devices could put your expensive engine in play rather than just your oversized battery.

namealreadytaken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX (gone/gremlins) 2018 XT5 AWD Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    This site says you may get some oil smoking, as follows:
    "An AFM Disabler is an electronic device that plugs into the OBD-II port, under the dashboard. It prevents the computer from switching over to four-cylinder mode. It’s a simple and effective way to turn off the AFM system and provides the added bonus of improving exhaust sound.
    NOTE: A disabler device should ONLY be used if the valvetrain is in good working order.
    Engines with AFM use a high-volume oil pump. When you eliminate the AFM system, the extra oil is no longer needed. Excess oil will be pushed out of the pressure relief valve into the oil pan. This will spray oil on the bottom of the cylinder walls which can cause oil burning, especially in high-rpm engines." "On All Cylinders, an auto blog",
    https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/...on-gm-engines/
    GM Authority says there is a MPG benefit to be lost: "The primary benefit of Cylinder Deactivation/AFM is higher fuel economy without downsizing engines. The technology can improve fuel economy by up to 12 percent without sacrificing performance.
    Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/general-motors-technology/general-motors-propulsion-technology/general-motors-active-fuel-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/#ixzz5jKVh7TcF"
    I question the theory that disabling AFM causes oil consumption issues or burning. If you google around even more, you'll see people using the Range Technology disabler to successfully improve their oil consumption because when a cylinder shuts down, it causes oil "blow by" and excessive oil build up on the bottom of deactivated pistons. When they aren't working, they cool down and cook the oil onto the rings. Keeping all cylinders working all the time allows all components to be doing their jobs and the oil stays where it's supposed to. (so this is the exact opposite of what your article above states) I'm reading that people are seeing less gunk and reporting less issues after disabling their AFM. I'm not stating that their theories are right, and the articles you posted are wrong, I think it's just one of those things that's hard to prove - too many factors involved.

We also need to remember that the XT5 is a daily driver "family" car. Not a 6.2 V8 truck or a high performance sports car.
    Does anyone tow with their XT5? (I'm sure somebody out there does and they'll jump all over me ..) but I don't tow anything with mine. I don't have custom exhaust or tuning ... Mine is a pavement princess that doesn't ever have to work under load or heavy conditions. It wasn't built for that anyway, but I'm just saying. I'll be keeping an eye on my oil consumption when using the Range disabler, but I'm honestly not very concerned about it causing oil issues. If it does, I'll let you know.

The oil consumption debate has apparently been going on since AFM started showing up on the scene and there's many, many different and opposing theories out there.

I'll post my full commentary after I've had the Range in place for a little while longer... so far I'm in the honeymoon period with it and I want to see if that continues.

As far as the article from GM Authority stating the benefits of AFM on fuel mileage, sorry but I can't buy that either. It sounds like GM kool-aid.
    A little more Googling can show all about the problems people have with AFM technology, bad lifters, etc. Gas mileage isn't so important after the engine blows itself out.
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm arguing, that's not my intention. But as with everything, there's always 2 sides to consider.

Your insight is always articulate and I appreciate your opinions even if we don't agree.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in