Headlight Burnout Repair - NEW
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By F1Ace
  • 2 Post By F1Ace
  • 2 Post By F1Ace
  • 2 Post By ccclarke
  • 2 Post By F1Ace
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Headlight Burnout Repair - NEW in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi All! Well I am the proud owner of a 2004 Cadillac XLR and have also been blessed by that ...
    F1Ace is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Headlight Burnout Repair - NEW

Hi All!

Well I am the proud owner of a 2004 Cadillac XLR and have also been blessed by that blasted burn out in the headlights. I've had the car a few years and could turn away no longer, so this year was the year I was going to finally break down and get new units. Or so I thought.

As you probably know, you cannot buy new headlights any more. I'm told for like 3.5 years already. When I contacted wreckers and one fed me a price of $4,000.00-$4,500.00 I knew I had a problem and would have to do something different.

I talked to a friend of mine in the local car scene (you should too) and he told me of a shop here that can do almost anything headlight wise. I thought up a plan and he executed it.

As you may see on other threads, with the right heat treatment (I read 400 degrees for 6 minutes I think here) you can open up the units. This sounds like more than I can handle (closing up, etc.) so I got my local shop to do it. It's called Winnipeg HID. www.WinnipegHID.ca I think he used different temperatures.

My concept was this:
    1-Open the unit
    2-Remove the melted lenses
    3-Change the "hot" light there to LED
    4-Reassemble

I had originally thought of just removing the bulb and polishing the melt out from behind (clever eh?) but mine were too far gone. And once removed they were even too far gone to polish out on the counter and reinstall, so gone they were! I was very nervous about this, because I REALLY wanted the stock look, but now, I don't regret tossing them.

NOTE: If you want, he knows someone who can remanufacture the lenses for extra time and money.

So that's what the plan was and that's what happened. I now have cool looking LED units and no more melt. They look fine without the lenses, and are commonly used that way. Another thing I was very nervous about. But the car looks fantastic and the wreckers can just suck mine.

When it was all done I noticed how much sun damage the outer plastic actually had and then they also polished that to an unbelievable shine. With a special protective coating too.

So if you too have those melted lenses, I would strongly urge you to check out your local car scene and ask around if there's someone like that in your area, and if not, feel free to contact Tom at Winnipeg HID. Honest and straight shooting guys who I assume can deal with long distance customers too.

So now, some before and after pictures.

Enjoy!
    Wes
    mr.clarke and mr.clarke like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Re: Headlight Burnout Repair - NEW

Here are the before pictures......
    IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg

Here are the after pictures....hope they're right side up!
    IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Those look great! Once the right diameter butyl rope is installed, they go back together easily. For the DIYers out there, the outside covers can be polished with the right tools at home. Sometimes the internal bezel crazing can be removed, sometimes not.

As long as XLRs don't get in an accident where the head or tail lamps are damaged beyond repair, the parts shortage isn't anything to worry about.

Here's a video showing how to do this, using Morimoto headlight butyl rope (grey for the XLR) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hbv4BovDVA

CCC

Bion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 xlr

Lets see some photos of that polish job. Those cracks are inside the middle of the polycarbon lens. I would like to see one polished>

As Clark said. Light hazing can be polished but most all of the lights have a chicken scratch looking crack. That is inside the middle of the poly and cannot be removed. I have sanded outside ,removed the lens and sanded inside. Magnification shows the cracks are internal. The best thing to do is just replace your bulb with a led one that does not heat up. Simply remove the light and replace it from the rear. I have new park light lens if someone wants to take their lights apart. The problem is , not all outer lens will come apart with the support attached to the outer lens. Most of them come off the housing without the reinforcement. That's is the reason most where replaced by GM and there are none left. I have new lens covers made and will be selling them soon. Just running test to see how long they will last and how they hold up. The lens epoxy to the housing under the gray perimeter bead. I paint that gray bead car color and I think they look much better and it hides the glue joint

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Lets see some photos of that polish job. Those cracks are inside the middle of the polycarbon lens. I would like to see one polished>
    I'm sorry, but I don't know how to take a picture of a clear lens that will show anything
    other than a clear lens.

dlholzschuh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR Luxo Blue Metallic

Post Re: Headlight Burnout Repair - NEW

Wes,

Could you supply the cost and how long it took Winnipeg HID to do your headlamps please?
    Is their a particular staff member at Winnipeg HID we should talk to?

Thank you,
    Dave

several folks have just punched the lens out from the back. Just stick a screwdriver and break it up. then use a vacuum to get the pieces out. That way you do not risk delaminating the outer lens from the reinforcement

Talk to Tom there, nice guy.
    The total cost was about $650.00 Canadian for both lights.
    For that they open both and remove the offending part, then
    reseal them. You also will get LED lights and a resistor that
    goes along with them. The LED light route is optional since
    your existing bulbs would be OK to use now, and I almost
    still went that way, having paid for the LED and with them
    in hand, but the clearer LED lighting looked more modern
    and the bulb looks much better of the LED. That is only
    like $75 extra anyway. He's basically charging $250/lense
    to R&R them. Add a ton of taxes here and you get to $650.

I also took the opportunity to have them do their special
    polish after for $150, and it was amazing. It's not just a
    guy with a wheel, they have some sort of stuff the use to
    protect it, ask about it if you're interested.

Before you send yours, study them! If there's something
    not perfect on them now, and you see it later, you may
    blame them. Meanwhile it was there all along. Happened
    to me. Oops!

Cheers!
    Wes

dlholzschuh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 XLR Luxo Blue Metallic

I have had my XLR headlights and fog lights repair/restored by Headlights 101 shop. I just got them back on 9 January 2018.
    General info:
    Headlights 101
    Joe Bedwell General Manager (great guy to work with)
    150 Tober Trail, Fayetteville, GA 30214
    Office (770) 461-5974
    Cell (678) 673-8674

I cannot give you a price because each project/job you send them could be different due to the type of repairs you will need. It is best to contact Joe, and then send him some pictures of your lights with info on what you want/need done. He can then discuss cost with.
    I sent them both headlights and fog lights; they did a fantastic job with restoring both for me. They replaced both brunt internal lenses, refurbish the outer lens of the headlights and fog lights to the point that there are no scratches, pits or discoloration. In addition, they repair numerous cracks in the headlight housing.
    Card-Headlights101.jpg

Before
    Before-headlights.jpg
    Before-fog_lights.jpg

During repair
    Lens-1.jpg
    Lens-2.jpg
    During-repairs.jpg

After
    After-headlight-D.jpg
    After-headlight-P.jpg
    After-fog_lights.jpg

OMG! Those look AMAZING!!! Great to have another resource for us all.
    And you got the lenses redone! How on earth? Just brilliant!
    Wes

I have the new upper lens in process. I have presold most of them already but you can get on the list if you like

Here is my ebay listing to get on the list
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323174420183

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in