2004 XLR headlight issue--is this a dealbreaker?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bion
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, 2004 XLR headlight issue--is this a dealbreaker? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looking at a local 2004 XLR which looks to be in pretty good shape, except for the driver's side headlamp ...
    Adambravo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo Sedan

2004 XLR headlight issue--is this a dealbreaker?

Looking at a local 2004 XLR which looks to be in pretty good shape, except for the driver's side headlamp (see photo). I know about the overheating lamps and resulting crazing (and, in this case, apparently a crack), and it appears parts are tough/impossible to find. Checking with the community here to see if this is the dealbreaker I think it is--I'm not even sure what would happen if I hit a major pothole and that lens broke...

Thanks in advance.1-xlr headlamps.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: 2004 XLR headlight issue--is this a dealbreaker?

Answering this so it doesn't languish. This XLR forum is for the most part, dead.

This headlight could easily be damaged further by heat and vibration. Should the bezel completely fracture, (and it's well on the way) the pieces would rattle around in the headlight assembly. The DRL light output is already compromised optically due to crazing and cosmetically, because it looks pretty bad. It has two problems that don't have an easy solution. You can't just re-bond the outer headlight cover with RTV, since the original material is an adhesive gray butyl ribbon compound.

Obviously, you can't buy replacement (new) headlight assemblies anymore. You can however, watch eBay and buy a used replacement that even if crazed, will be in better shape then this one. An LED DRL would cut down on the heat which affects the bezel, unless you can find a later-built light from a 2006 or newer, which changed the bezel material eliminating the crazing. You can also source used headlights from salvage yards, though I doubt the XLR market is flush with these.

If you have to have that car, by all means, enjoy it and search for a replacement headlight in the meantime. Maybe you can get the seller to knock a thousand bucks off the purchase price due to the headlight.

If not, there are plenty of XLRs out there and another will turn up more to your liking.

CCC

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)

Better have him knock off at least $3K.

Bion is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 xlr

that upper lens is being made by me for 200$ each so just to let you know. Then you should replace the bulb with an led
    gregandrews likes this.

parts68 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade,96 Aurora,with Shelby engine

and what is the recommended means to remove and reseal the outer clear lens?

Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

Hmm, the XLR headlight assy sure looks like the one on my '08 DTS.
    Havn't measured anything, but calibrated eyeballing, they look the same.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

I'm sorry, they're not even close, physically. You can verify this yourself without even getting up from your computer. Just look up and compare the part numbers for each, or compare front views of each vehicle.

CCC

Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

Front view, they look the same. Close-up, no.
    I was WRONG.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in