Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. been lurking around on the site for a bit but never posted anything. well first let me start ...
    trenchva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 XLR

Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2)

Hi all. been lurking around on the site for a bit but never posted anything.
    well first let me start by giving you some history on my car. its a 05 black xlr with 128,000 mls.

Thing that were wrong when i bought the car......
    1. fuel gauge was stuck on have full
    2. driver's door would not unlock from inside
    3. traction control didn't work
    4. manual shifting didn't work
    5. drivers window did't work

solutions to problems.......

2. drivers door push button and lock button were bad ( symptom of bad lock button was that i could not unlock pass side door by my unlock button).
    3. traction control switch bad ( jumped switch and could activate traction control)
    4. limit switches were not making contact do to being out of alignment.
    5. bad window switch.

fuel gauge i figured i would have to replace the pump OUCH!!!! I tried the fuel additive and it didn't work.
    One day i went to the garage and my trunk was open. i must have hit the trunk release button on the remote when i left (was open for a few days). well i closed the trunk and all was well. I go to lower the top and it hangs at the point when the trunk should close.
    Well i keep trying to cycle it over the course of a few days and still nothing. After a while the pump start to sound like its straining. I also notice what appears to be a stain in my headliner. i check the pump and its low on hydraulic oil. So you guessed it.... that stain is a major leak in the latching piston.
    Well i removed it and sent it out for repair.
    I get it back. reinstall and bleed the air. topped off the hydro fluid and guess what? the dam top still hangs lol. Well at this point i figured its the sensor that is bad.
    So i figured ill buy them all for a total of $186. Now i hear that once a sensor is replaced i have to do a relearn. Thats probably another $200 at the stealer. So for close to $400 i should be in good shape.

Well me being a do-it-yourself type person i decided to bite the bullet and buy a Tech2 Clone . For $600 i received everything including usb key. I did a relearn without changing any sensors and everything works !!!! saved $400. I also cleared the DTC codes and GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!! My fuel gauge
    reset and started reading normal. Thats another $600 for parts and labor that i was going to pay to change out the fuel pump! So thats $900 dollars Ive saved Or to be more accurate, $900 - $600(tech2) = $400 in my pocket with a tech2 to play with . It gets even better! playing with the tool i see i have a couple of miss fires on my even bank.
    I did notice that the coils were different for one side compared to the other. Me being uninformed about these northstar engines; i thought it was normal. I now know that the side that is misfiring is the original set of coils from new. They will be replaced. Thank you Tech2 . as far as im concerned it has payed for itself. If it was to quit working tomorrow i would not care.

As a side note. i bought some imitation suede from Ebay and sueded my headliner. I was going to buy a new one but they wanted $200 for the liner( not a problem) and another $200 to ship it! ( oh hell no lol).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2)

A Tech 2 (in any form) is a pretty worthwhile investment if you plan to do just about any XLR-related maintenance. The '04s & '05's seem to experience the majority of Folding Top problems, and as you've found out, nothing beats being able to install a sensor and perform a re-learn to get the top working properly. Great job and good write-up!

CC

trenchva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 XLR

Thanks. I really need to do more write-ups. Im ALWAYS working on something with my car. I just cant help myself lol. Now im starting to entertain twin turbos at 8psi boost. Its definitely doable. Im doing the research. Its funny how so many people say it cant be gone. Ive read the same things being said bout the Porsche 928s with our 10.5/1 compression. how the engine cant handle it and if Porsche wanted it supercharged they would have build it that way. Now 8 years later we are pulling 500 HP out of our supercharged engines with no ill effects. Funny thing is; these two blocks are very similar all be it the caddy is more advanced. both are all aluminum. split blocks with a cradle for the crank. 10.5/1 compression. dual overhead cams and rated for the same HP outputs. So we will see. That is if i ever get around to it lol. the ECU can be hacked with HPTuner and i have a xlrV ecu so i can see the spark retard and fueling. I need to find out what the fuel pressure is for the V. the base xlr is running around 55 to 63 psi.

OldSkoolXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 XLR Silver / shale

Did it solve the manual shifting??

keith w. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 XLR Black

hi im keith i"v bin looking for a Tech2 for awhile. but im always trying to save a couple bucks when i read ur story about the "clone" Tech 2 and it worked for u thought if you read this and find any time u might bable to send me the info on ur" clone" and maybe i can get lucky and find me one.that is if u can find the time it would be greatly appreciated. hopefully i get to hear from you either way thank you for your time keith
    email [email protected]aol.com

moderator edit: (for some reason the system wouldn't allow me to reply otherwise). Welcome to the forums, Keith! The OP hasn't logged on in almost 3 years so not likely he will see your question. Strongly suggest you don't use a true email address or phone on the forums. There are bots and trolls trying to find legit info. Your inbox might get more than you expected. There are plenty of clones out there claiming to be Tech2, but some only read out codes but don't allow you to alter programming. Thanks, 1969byrdman

keith w. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 XLR Black

thanks for giving me that heads up about my information just started writing on the internet.i also was awhare that santas helper wasn't on for awhile just gave it a shot. how about you. can u steer me toward Tech2 that i won't hv to refinaced one of my propertys?thanks again for watchin out. keith

Google it and you'll find countless Tech 2s to choose from.

Padgett is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Just acquitted a dongle and a Tec2Win program. What can a hardware Tech 2 do that the software cannot ?

1969byrdman is online now US Coast Guard: Semper Paratus
    Automobile(s): 2003 DeVille base, 148K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    Just acquitted a dongle and a Tec2Win program. What can a hardware Tech 2 do that the software cannot ?
    Don't know the answer but I'll find out soon. My local mom & pop shop here just acquired similar software. As for Tech2 clones some of the descriptions on Amazon or ebay are a bit vague as to capabilities. ccclarke (post #7) knows his stuff & has several Cadillacs.

padgett, I assume you meant "acquired"

Padgett is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '11 CTSC & several other cars.

Maybeso.

The majority of my Tech 2 use was spent calibrating the Folding Top after sensor replacement and occasional re-learns. As long as you have the latest software revision, (the Folding Top Control module received a few to widen the tolerances for sensor calibration) you'll have a lot of fun exploring the innards of your XLR.

Do be aware, diagnostic hardware/software is only part of the equation; you'll want a Factory Service manual to interpret the results. I ended up selling my Tech 2 for more than I paid for it, since it wasn't compatible with the XTS.

I bought a Tech 11 and I was wondering , Do I have to program it with the discs that came with it , I doesn't seem to offer me a relearn opportunity on any modules.

Did you purchase a 32Mb PCMCIA card for your Tech 2?

yes it came with one, I put it in.

I was able to detect my tail light being out, which I found earlier in the forum, but no real way to get the modules up. paddle shift is not working and the trunk not closing with the remote.. Im worried this is too smart for me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in