Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cadillac XLR Forum Discussion, Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Was your Tech11 plug and play, does the unit know everything out of the box? -->...
    OldSkoolXLR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 XLR Silver / shale

Re: Best decision i ever made (bought a tech 2)

Was your Tech11 plug and play, does the unit know everything out of the box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

What are you using for supporting technical documentation?

CCC

I have the 4 volume manual set and the Tec11, it shows in the tech11 manual how to hook it up to the computer, and I have the discs that came with the tech11 but Im not seeing the next directly indicated thing to do.

Let's get some more info here. . .

First, please post your model year, (and trim level if applicable) in your profile so it displays every time you post. This helps anyone helping you. Changes were few during the XLR's production run, but there were some.

Questions:

1) Post #18: Four volume manual set of what? The factory service manuals? It never pays to assume when communicating in writing.

2) What is the current software revision level on your Tech 2?

3) Do you have a CAN module?

4) How are you configuring the Tech 2 when it's connected?

The remote doesn't close the rear decklid, it only raises it. The switch on the underside of the rear decklid closes it.

If you have the factory service manuals, you have probably figured out they don't tell you how to use the Tech 2. This is assumed, since the Tech 2 is intended for trained technicians. There is a GM Tech 2 training manual. You might be able to find a copy online.

The XLR was the first GM vehicle that could do an automatic, fully-sequential diagnostic, rather than having to address each module manually before a test could be run. Once you get through the configuration menus, you can initiate the complete test with a single command.

Always clear any existing DTCs, run the test, record the DTCs, clear them and run them a second time. Keep a log of what DTCs are present. After that, go to the affected modules and run the applicable tests. From those menus you can see the firmware level and build date of the module. Some modules have extensive diagnostics that go deeper than the sequential scan. You can enable individual lights, HUD graphics, etc. It helps to have a good working knowledge of the three interconnected communication busses.

DO NOT attempt to update firmware in the modules unless you know exactly what you're doing.

If the top starts acting up, always perform a relearn first after ensuring the windows have been indexed. It takes longer to remove the Tech 2 from its storage case and connect it to the car than it does to perform a relearn on a Folding Top Control module. It's that easy.

There's nothing "smart" about the Tech 2. The most powerful troubleshooting tool at your disposal is between your ears.

If you aren't adept at troubleshooting, the Tech tool will get you only so far. You have to be smarter than the equipment you're operating, which means fully understanding the system you're analyzing before you begin touching anything. Like a wrench, the Tech 2 is just a tool. It's best used by owners with the experience and skills to interpret the data and follow it to isolate a fault. It isn't a substitute for experience or skill, but is invaluable when looking at data being passed between modules, switches, and sensors. To understand what the tool is doing, you have to understand the content in the factory service manuals first.

Depending on the year of your XLR, the folding top can be the most problematic system. A thorough understanding of the folding top's operation (the factory service manuals have all the details) is a great first system to become well-versed in. Since a full diagnostic seems to run about $120, and a folding top relearn about the same, you can easily pay for your Tech 2 by doing it yourself with a couple of relearns.

There are two additional GM manuals that sometimes appear on eBay: The XLR Systems manual and XLR Intro manual. Both are introductory guides used as training materials for XLR technician certification. There is also a GM folding top DVD that explains how to calibrate, adjust, and repair it. I found that on eBay as well.

I understood quite a bit about what you said, and I want to thank you for taking the time, I appreciate it. I didn't have a tech 2 for a few years because I could just take it to the dealer, Im in he oil business and the job moved us to Alaska, I just couldn't part with my car so its here and I get to drive it for the summer--I love this car-- even after the engine half case expense (shoulda been a recall) When I took it to the dealer in anchorage they had to have Seattle dealer coach them, so I decided to take your earlier advice and get a tech 2. I got a knockoff one online at the web address here on the forum and it came with all the connections including the CAND! and cards. After reading the book on how to connect to the car and how to power it up, I was able to see the systems on the car running on the screen. This looks like a good bit of kit, but my apprehension to use it when I don't know what in doing is stalling my growth. I went to Cadillac and ordered the service manual for this and when they called me to pick it up it was a 4 volume set each one 2/12 inches thick!!! and $360.00 I was ok with the money if I thought that I could navigate the information, which I can for the most part. When im at a place where I can get the real info on my car im sure I can refer to the service manuals to verify proper parameters. My profession in the oilfield is hydraulics, so I was able to figure out the roof pretty quick in terms of electrical logistic over hydraulics, but I want to get to a place where I can check injector voltage and all of the things that really tune the car. I understand the tech 2 is just a tool, If I can read the issues as they arise I can better resolve them. Anyway I sure thank you for you experience and please hang in their with me while I stumble my way Through this...I changed my Avatar and put my model and year on there anything I can do to get helped please let me know.

$360 is a lot to pay for the manuals - even from a GM dealer. Here's the source: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=

CC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in