Cue TouchScreen Freezing/Locking Up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue TouchScreen Freezing/Locking Up in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    johnsi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cue TouchScreen Freezing/Locking Up

We have a 2015 SRX with the CUE Navigation and Infotainment System. The display is frequently locking up where nothing on the touch screen works. Pressing the Home button on the panel works but still, nothing on the touch screen works. I've tried the so called "Hard Reset" that I've seen on several YouTube videos, but this appears to be a smoke and mirrors solution. I installed the "2019 Navigation System Map Update" and that seems to have made things worse.

I'm an electronics engineer with a software background and I find this issue extremely frustrating. I've read about touch screen replacement but what I'm seeing appears to be a software issue since the system works normally after the car is turned off for a while. However, the issue repeats itself after I start selecting various touch screen buttons such as zoom in/out, change to different media options, etc.. In frustration I did a Factory Reset and deleted the data we entered into the system to see if that would help. It helped some but the touch screen still hangs up on occasion.

Itís hard to believe that this issue has not had more coverage on this forum. Itís possible that something has caused the Operating System in our SRX to be corrupted. If so, there should be a way to reinstall it. When we purchase the SRX, I read the CUE system was slow. Thatís probably due to an underpowered processor and lack of memory. It also may be the heart of this issue weíre having.

Iíve seen some post where I could upgrade to the HMI 2.5 module. The main benefit to me would be the addition of Apple Carplay. Would it also help with the touch screen lockup issue Iím having?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

KRDCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)

Re: Cue TouchScreen Freezing/Locking Up

If your still under the B2B warranty, take it to a dealer and have it replaced. Thats what I did

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by johnsi View Post
    It’s hard to believe that this issue has not had more coverage on this forum. It’s possible that something has caused the Operating System in our SRX to be corrupted. If so, there should be a way to reinstall it. When we purchase the SRX, I read the CUE system was slow. That’s probably due to an underpowered processor and lack of memory. It also may be the heart of this issue we’re having.

I’ve seen some post where I could upgrade to the HMI 2.5 module. The main benefit to me would be the addition of Apple Carplay. Would it also help with the touch screen lockup issue I’m having?
    Faulty CUE touch screens are one of the most reported issues on this forum (across all CUE equipped models). It isn't if it fails, but when. Many owners have experienced multiple replacements. GM replaces the entire head unit instead of the faulty part. It's a great business model, eh?

HMI replacement isn't likely to affect the outcome. Your symptoms sound like an intermittent fault which will likely become a hard fault eventually. I recommend replacing it. Simple procedure and costs less than $100. After experiencing symptoms like yours, (which later developed into a dead spot) I replaced mine last summer and haven't had a problem since.

callmike02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville, 2014 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by johnsi View Post
    We have a 2015 SRX with the CUE Navigation and Infotainment System. The display is frequently locking up where nothing on the touch screen works. Pressing the Home button on the panel works but still, nothing on the touch screen works. I've tried the so called "Hard Reset" that I've seen on several YouTube videos, but this appears to be a smoke and mirrors solution. I installed the "2019 Navigation System Map Update" and that seems to have made things worse.

I'm an electronics engineer with a software background and I find this issue extremely frustrating. I've read about touch screen replacement but what I'm seeing appears to be a software issue since the system works normally after the car is turned off for a while. However, the issue repeats itself after I start selecting various touch screen buttons such as zoom in/out, change to different media options, etc.. In frustration I did a Factory Reset and deleted the data we entered into the system to see if that would help. It helped some but the touch screen still hangs up on occasion.

Itís hard to believe that this issue has not had more coverage on this forum. Itís possible that something has caused the Operating System in our SRX to be corrupted. If so, there should be a way to reinstall it. When we purchase the SRX, I read the CUE system was slow. Thatís probably due to an underpowered processor and lack of memory. It also may be the heart of this issue weíre having.

Iíve seen some post where I could upgrade to the HMI 2.5 module. The main benefit to me would be the addition of Apple Carplay. Would it also help with the touch screen lockup issue Iím having?
    @johnsi: The CUE system is one of the most covered units of the 2013-2018 Cadillac model runs. In fact, this portion of the forum is dedicated exclusively to CUE system issues. Many persons on this forum have covered this issue time and time again.

That being said, your CUE issues are classic touchscreen issues. Change the touchscreen! Look at the CUE system like a computer. The HMI contains the motherboard and storage for software. The monitor stack is just that... a video monitor and has little or nothing to do with the HMI except to display the signal the HMI sends it. The touchscreen, along with the touch panel at the lower part of the cue stack communicates with the HMI (motherboard) the same way a keyboard communicates with the motherboard in your computer. In your case, the touchscreen is failing, (sort of like mini-strokes), and is becoming erratic. That's one phase of its deterioration process. Some cuescreens get spider cracks all over them. Some of those happen over time... some happen quickly. Either way, it's another symptom of cue screen failure... not the HMI. If you have time, you should check out www.cuescreens.com Charles has quite a bit of experience with the CUE screen replacements. Look at all the information he has gathered and call it one part of your education in this process. Also, look at one of the sponsors of this forum www.gmpartshouse.com Their ad is probably on the side or top of this page. They offer complete packages with a GM warranty. I think Chris is the contact person there.

There are several guys and gals on this forum that have dedicated numerous hours of research and spent many dollars studying these CUE issues. There are many how-to videos on youtube and in other places that will help you remove the cue stack from your dash. Some of these videos are really good... and some are not so good. CCClarke offers his own instruction document for the XTS. AND, it also contains the cue screen replacement guide that covers all CUE screens. Just PM him and he'll forward it to you.

So, now you have a solution to your CUE issues. I think you'll enjoy reading and studying the wealth of materials available. IMO, the hardest part is deciding which touch screen replacement to purchase. There are hundreds of vendors on ebay, amazon and individual websites all over the internet. That's the reason I included a couple of sites for you to peruse. I sincerely hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in