How to: basic switch fix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr.Fiero
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to: basic switch fix in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have to admit right off... This part is actually from my buddies '87 Corvette. But the principles are all ...
    Dr.Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Seville STS (gone); 2001 STS

How to: basic switch fix

I have to admit right off... This part is actually from my buddies '87 Corvette. But the principles are all the same.

I tried to describe how a switch actually works to him. I just take it for granted how it works.
    Since he didn't know, I thought there might be some others that didn't either.
    Figured if I was going to send these pics to him, I'd share them here as well...

So - you have a switch that's all there, but either doesn't work at all, or it flickers etc.
    IMG_1168_11.jpg

Many are stuck together this way (though not all - YMMV!). It's just a matter of GENTLY bending up the tabs on one side.
    You can do both sides, but it's usually not required, and just makes it harder to reassemble. I used some flush cutters going at it from the ends to bend them up.
    IMG_1170_13.jpg

Carefully lift up the contact plate. I do it with the tip of an exacto hobby knife.
    IMG_1171_14.jpg

Here's the corroded contacts on the contact plate.
    IMG_1173_16.jpg

And on the moving contact.
    IMG_1174_17.jpg

This is the moving contact, removed from the switch body. Tiny!
    IMG_1175_18.jpg

I generally just use the blade of the knife, and scrape the contacts until they're clean.
    You could also use some ~1000+ grit paper, but it is actually harder and you might deform the contact. That plate is only about 2mm wide!
    Ditto on the fixed contacts. Just scrape gently until shiny. Don't try to actually shave them.

I then like to smear some carbon grease sparingly on the whole plate, and the contacts. Warning... this stuff stains like CRAZY!!!
    It puts paint to shame. So, you might want to do all this on some newspaper etc. And wipe all your tools off with a paper towel.
    Takes a nail brush and soap to get it off my fingers.

This is the switch with grease on the contacts, going back together.
    IMG_1179_112.jpg

Hook the edge away from you under the tabs that you didn't bend up (right?!), then wiggle the close edge down.
    I then use the butt of the knife to press the tabs down.

Presto... one OEM switch, that's better than new (since they put them together dry)!
    This one lasted 29 years in a convertible, so it will no doubt outlive myself or the owners life.
    IMG_1180_113.jpg
    centaur and centaur like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

Re: How to: basic switch fix

Using a metal blade to scrape off corrosion is not recommended. High grit sandpaper is okay if a quality contact cleaner (like cramoline) fails to remove most of the oxidation, but generally, an eraser works great and is non-abrasive.

CCC

Dr.Fiero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Seville STS (gone); 2001 STS

Re: How to: basic switch fix

I guess it comes down to technique. I've done it for decades.
    I should have shot a moving GIF to show HOW maybe.

As I said above, you're NOT shaving with it. Dragging it across is maybe a way to describe it.
    And use a fresh blade to avoid nicks, scrapes... and bleeding.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in