MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, im having this same issue but on "2005 STS v8" would (4.7 ohm, 1/2 watt) in connector level ...
  1. #1
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17

    MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    Hello everyone, im having this same issue but on "2005 STS v8" would (4.7 ohm, 1/2 watt) in connector level work the same for this model of car ?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    67
    Posts
    18,198

    Re: Code C1711 on 98 STS

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoollv View Post
    Hello everyone, im having this same issue but on "2005 STS v8" would (4.7 ohm, 1/2 watt) in connector level work the same for this model of car ?
    ===========================
    the 2005 STS is NOT a Seville - you should try the STS forum - here -
    https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-through-2012/

    to answer your question - NO - the 4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt resistor trick only works on the F45 suspension system -

    I believe you have the F55 - MagnaRide system -
    that takes a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor - one for each strut/shock -

  4. #3
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore, Kent Island
    Age
    79
    Posts
    64,639

    Re: Code C1711 on 98 STS

    ........ and it's 4.7K Ohm (4700 Ohm) 1/2 watt for F45 (CVRSS); 2 or 3 Ohm 5 or 10 Watt for F55 (MRC).

    The resistance values are very different and the power handling (Watts) is different due to the suspension control solenoid power usage at each strut/shock.

    I'll move these posts to STS and leave a note in the old dead thread in Seville.

  5. #4
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: Code C1711 on 98 STS

    thank you for moving post, ok i added t=an 2ohm 10watt and yet still getting the dash message and speed limited to 80.....

    any help will be great, thanks

  6. #5
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore, Kent Island
    Age
    79
    Posts
    64,639

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    Perhaps your messages are for some other suspension fault.

    Did you install the resistors in the strut/shock pigtails or at the hub wheel speed sensors ?

    Take the car to a large parts store and ask them to scan it. Post the found codes and their definitions here.

  7. #6
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Perhaps your messages are for some other suspension fault.
    Did you install the resistors in the strut/shock pigtails or at the hub wheel speed sensors ?
    Take the car to a large parts store and ask them to scan it. Post the found codes and their definitions here.
    strut/shock elec tape then soldier once i see it working, i will stop by autozone today and do a check and post info thank you

  8. #7
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    not getting any suspension codes only the missing cats we removed this pass weekend p0420 bank1, po430 bank2


    im going to work on these codes first then jump on suspension again ..

  9. #8
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: Code C1711 on 98 STS

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ===========================
    the 2005 STS is NOT a Seville - you should try the STS forum - here -
    https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-through-2012/

    to answer your question - NO - the 4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt resistor trick only works on the F45 suspension system -

    I believe you have the F55 - MagnaRide system -
    that takes a 2 ohm 10 watt resistor - one for each strut/shock -
    question, im still getting the message on dash when i added to the front only " 2 ohm 10 watt resistor " my guess is rear as well ?

  10. #9
    Sigma-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2-2007 STS-Vs, 2005 STS4 1sg, 2004 SRX4, 2008 1sc
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    22

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    a light bulb (like the parking light bulb) can be connected across the mrc shock connector to simulate the proper resistance

  11. #10
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Thumbs down 2005 STS v8 (suspension service + limited to 80mph)

    i had some suspension work done to active system and now need to trick the ECU

    on dash getting " (suspension service + limited to 80mph) " i added 4 2ohm 10watt per strut and didn't do the trick is there anything else needs to be done ?

  12. #11
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    created a new thread

    See Post #12. Sub.

  13. #12
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma-V View Post
    a light bulb (like the parking light bulb) can be connected across the mrc shock connector to simulate the proper resistance
    sorry i dont understand

  14. #13
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore, Kent Island
    Age
    79
    Posts
    64,639

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    You jumper the resistor/light bulb across the two wires in the strut/shock suspension control cable.

    Just like bending a paper clip into a U and sticking it into the wall socket. The strut/shock is no longer wired to the car so you install resistors in the cable ends to "fool" the car's suspension control systems.

    |_____wire 1______resistor_____wire 2____|

    Threads have been merged - let's keep it all in one place.

  15. #14
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter

    Re: MRC/passive suspension bypass resistors

    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You jumper the resistor/light bulb across the two wires in the strut/shock suspension control cable.

    Just like bending a paper clip into a U and sticking it into the wall socket. The strut/shock is no longer wired to the car so you install resistors in the cable ends to "fool" the car's suspension control systems.

    |_____wire 1______resistor_____wire 2____|

    Threads have been merged - let's keep it all in one place.
    correct this is what i have done

  16. #15
    mrcoollv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    17
    Thread Starter
    Any update would be great, keep in mind I'm using (2ohm 10watt) on all 4 stuts connected into the top

    Still getting two warning " suspension service and 80mph limit"



    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoollv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You jumper the resistor/light bulb across the two wires in the strut/shock suspension control cable.

    Just like bending a paper clip into a U and sticking it into the wall socket. The strut/shock is no longer wired to the car so you install resistors in the cable ends to "fool" the car's suspension control systems.

    |_____wire 1______resistor_____wire 2____|

    Threads have been merged - let's keep it all in one place.
    correct this is what i have done

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Similar Threads

  1. Active to passive strut resistors.
    By Caddy-EaRL in forum Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
    1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-18, 07:55 PM
  2. Does anyone have a picture of the resistors that are need to remove suspension light
    By mauricepalmer9494 in forum Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
    1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-23-14, 10:18 PM
  3. 2009 front MRC to passive possible?
    By 2muchspl in forum Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-14, 08:14 PM
  4. Any way to bypass air suspension without going to Arnott? Building resistors DIYs?
    By 07maralade in forum Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-11, 10:44 PM
  5. Service suspension system resistors
    By Mopar500 in forum Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-10, 01:26 AM

Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Genesis | Kia Forte Forum