Liftgate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum (2010-2016) Discussion, Liftgate in Cadillac SRX; ...
    ShannonN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Liftgate

My liftgate unexpectedly closed hard on me today, crushing me in the process.
    I was finally able to escape but now the door is malfunctioning. It opens, then partially opens and closes twice, then closes permanently.
    First of all, why doesn’t the door have a safety feature to prevent crush injuries? The door did not stop when it hit me and injured my back. Thankfully I got it to release, but this is really dangerous.
    Second, any ideas on how to fix the liftgate so it works again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

DavidH62 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Lux

Re: Liftgate

Often it's just the liftgate support that has worn out. Anywhere from $10 to $30 to replace and is a simple DIY project. You don't list your model but here are a few for the 2011. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...t+support,1404

I don't doubt they are the same from year to year.

HoosierCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 Premium

Sounds scary. Lucky you didn't get hurt worse. That damned thing has got to be really heavy. I agree there should be some sort of safety device. Maybe that support should be replaced periodically to help avoid such an incident?

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Replace the passenger side strut on the lift gate as DavidH62 suggested. Lift gate can do crazy things when there is not enough strut strength to support it when open. Mine closed on me and hit me on the head; went back up then down and closed. New strut fixed the problem.

Phil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in