Tire Sealent Ruins Tire?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WILLY92
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum (2010-2016) Discussion, Tire Sealent Ruins Tire? in Cadillac SRX; That's what I've been hearing. Why use it then? Seems you could limp home just stopping to add air along ...
    HoosierCaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX4 Premium

Tire Sealent Ruins Tire?

That's what I've been hearing. Why use it then? Seems you could limp home just stopping to add air along the way unless the tire is shredded and then sealant won't help anyway.

Just wondering if should bother to replace 2 yr out of date canister.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Fefanatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Luxury

Re: Tire Sealent Ruins Tire?

Or you could put the spare down and have the leaking tire repaired. I personally wouldn't put that crap in my vehicle tires.

WILLY92 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 SRX Premium FWD

If he has a sealant canister, most likely, he has no spare.
    Maximumkk and KRDCAD like this.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Where did you hear that? If that is true why do some car manufacturers include it in cars without a spare tire? I have used it on a couple cars without problems, but you must follow the directions. If you put it in and just let the car sit, you will end up with a big lump in one spot and a big vibration. Could possibly ruin the tire.

Phil

packardv8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD

Quote Originally Posted by phunter1 View Post
    Where did you hear that? If that is true why do some car manufacturers include it in cars without a spare tire? I have used it on a couple cars without problems, but you must follow the directions. If you put it in and just let the car sit, you will end up with a big lump in one spot and a big vibration. Could possibly ruin the tire. Phil
    Agree, the gobber/slobber/dobber in the aerosol can is an emergency measure. It should only be used to get the vehicle to the tire repair shop (Who will hate you for bringing in that mess for them to clean up, but that's another story.) The tire shop will charge for the cleanup, for the repair and will probably try to say the tire was damaged by running flat and you need a replacement, but that's another story.

jack vines, whose 2011 spare has never been out of the well.

Still nobody has answered my question. Why bother with the slop in the can when you can just repeatedly add air with the nifty included compressor?

To be clear the reasons I said this stuff may be crap is due to several diff tire places getting irate over my using it in the past. Researching why I found that the fix-a-flat stuff once used butane as a propellant! I can't hardly believe it, but suspect it's true. I don't really want to blow up my friendly neighborhood tire guy, but I think they no longer use butane. At least I hope not.

Yes, there are incidences of tires going out of balance and it seems a given that the whole inside of the tire will need attention, but the reason why it "ruins" tires seems to be rooted in common sense: The goo makes the tire interior unsuitable for patches, even after a cleaning it remains very slick. So many, including my local shop who does not use plugs, will not service a tire like this and considers it junk. It's all about liability. A patch coming off at high speed could lead to a rapid loss of air causing a fatal accident. Another consideration are the tire pressure sensors which may get gooed up as well.

All things considered I was wondering it it's even worth messing with? I'd still like to hear some reasons why airing it up and limping it home or to the nearest tire repair facility isn't a better idea than using the sealant.

And yes for the record I don't have a spare. Nor does this car have a place for a real spare tire. I've never liked donuts and don't really see that being a much better option than the slop in the can. Either way you are going to need to find a tire repair place ASAP.

When I had my STS-V which had run-flat tires and no spare, the owners manual said not to use that stuff because it ruins TPS sensors, and none was offered with the vehicle at that time(2007).

Now, working for a Chevy dealers where a lot of our cars have no spare and only have the "goo" as a tire fix, no such warning is in the manual now. So I would suggest staying with the QEM tire fix sealant and no damage should occur. Also, we regularly repair tires that previously had the tire fix sealnt installed.

Do you plug or patch? I think the issue is patches won't stick well after using the goo. No problems with cleaning the insides of the tires or nasty yuck spraying out on the repair person?

I still think it makes more sense to just air your tire up and not use the goo. I've had some pretty good tire leaks before and if I'm at home, I'll just air it up and head for the tire store. Seems you can easily drive for 10-15 mins which should get you near a tire repair facility or off the highway at least. If that compressor works as good as people say it does that should get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLY92 View Post
    When I had my STS-V which had run-flat tires and no spare, the owners manual said not to use that stuff because it ruins TPS sensors, and none was offered with the vehicle at that time(2007).

Now, working for a Chevy dealers where a lot of our cars have no spare and only have the "goo" as a tire fix, no such warning is in the manual now. So I would suggest staying with the QEM tire fix sealant and no damage should occur. Also, we regularly repair tires that previously had the tire fix sealnt installed.

We patch. But, our patch is a plug/patch, it is a patch with a plug on it, so it does go through the tire from the inside. It is the "certified repair proceedure" fo punctured tires that can be repaired.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in