CLUNKY transmission
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By n7don_srx
  • 1 Post By Alucard
  • 1 Post By 08SRX
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, CLUNKY transmission in Cadillac SRX; 05 srx 3.6l rear wheel drive w/115,000miles trans clunks between aprox 45 and 65mph.i live in a mountainous area and ...
    dougman692000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

CLUNKY transmission

05 srx 3.6l rear wheel drive w/115,000miles trans clunks between aprox 45 and 65mph.i live in a mountainous area and whenever trans should downshift it "clunks"and then shifts .i usually dshift manually then back to drive.i am about to service the trans.(filter and fluid}. hoping that will help.
    any ideas...should i use an additive,lucas etc... theres no dipstick on this model so i cant even check the fluid. the computer says 12% trans fluid life left so its way over due. any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Re: CLUNKY transmission

I'd recommend a fluid & filter change (pulling the pan).
    The only additive I've found that works (and primarily for torque converter chuggle) is lubegard red, so buy a tube and put it in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-6090.../dp/B0007ZAJRM

Valvoline is a good fluid at a reasonable price (can get at Walmart also)
    https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Syn...omotive&sr=1-1

Be careful and don't burn your forearm on the hot exhaust when setting the fluid level....I've got that scar from years ago....

n7don_srx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '07 SRX-V6 RWD, '03 Envoy, '95 S10 pu

I've used Amalie Dexron VI in a couple vehicles with no issues. In both cases I used all 12 qts. The pan was dropped, a new filter install and I cut the line going to the transmission cooler so I could add fresh fluid as the old fluid was pumped out. A little more complex than just dropping the pan but doing a flush replaces most of the fluid.
    I second the comment on the nearness of the fill plug to the exhaust. A challenge not to burn your arm/hand
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    G1 SRX likes this.

Alucard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.

Normaly the gearbox is the same type of my 04 N*.
    I use Dexron VI, i just change oil not the filter 1 week ago (DIC say 45%, european use is severe service).
    5 liters just for the pan, double flushing = 10 liters.
    For fill speeder, i have used an old stainless steel can for wood glue gun (and air compressor for push the fluid) :

For the fluid level, it is by overflow with the fill plug when oil is between 30°c and 50°c, engine running :

Always check if the fill plug can open, before open the drain plug !
    Ac delco filter kit (96042545) have the 2 new plug with the filter.
    G1 SRX likes this.

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

This may sound odd, but I had a similar clunk on downshift from 3 to 2 only. Transmission flush barely did anything. Then one of my downstream O2 sensors went out of spec. Since I replaced it, the engine is happier and the rough downshifts are gone. Replacing the bad O2 sensor also returned the original mileage, which I slowly lost and couldn't figure out why. I guess the reason is the engine makes up for wrong sensor readings up to the point, where it can no longer do this and then finally throws a check engine light. It literally takes months before the ECU can no longer make the adjustments.
    G1 SRX likes this.

G1 SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX N* AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX View Post
    This may sound odd, but I had a similar clunk on downshift from 3 to 2 only. Transmission flush barely did anything. Then one of my downstream O2 sensors went out of spec. Since I replaced it, the engine is happier and the rough downshifts are gone. Replacing the bad O2 sensor also returned the original mileage, which I slowly lost and couldn't figure out why. I guess the reason is the engine makes up for wrong sensor readings up to the point, where it can no longer do this and then finally throws a check engine light. It literally takes months before the ECU can no longer make the adjustments.
    I wonder if the PO420 cat below efficiency and/or a PO455 Evap large leak would do the same thing?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in