Foggy headlight fix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 08SRX
Cadillac SRX First Generation Forum - 2004 - 2009 Discussion, Foggy headlight fix in Cadillac SRX; The headlights on my SRX were looking cloudy and foggy and did not look good. I tried all the remedies ...
    08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

Foggy headlight fix

The headlights on my SRX were looking cloudy and foggy and did not look good. I tried all the remedies posted online (scrub with toothpaste, spray WD40 etc) and found that none of those worked. The following made them look crystal clear again:

1. Sand the headlamp unit with 400 or 800 grit sandpaper using medium pressure. This will make them more cloudy. The goal is to remove much of the old clear coat that has now deteriorated. Allow 5 minutes per side.
    2. Sand with 2000 grit sandpaper. Cloudiness will still persist. Allow 10 minutes per side.
    3. Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper until all the white milky substance (old clear coat) is gone. Use PLENTY of water.
    4. Wet polish with 3000 grit sandpaper to remove as much cloudiness as possible.
    5. Remove any loose material, then clean thoroughly with rubbing alcohol to prepare for clear coat spray.
    6. Mask off the corner with a garbage bag and cut a hole for the headlamp lens to expose it. Use masking tape all around.
    7. Apply two very light coats of clear coat from a rattle can. Let dry for an hour.
    8. Apply third medium coat of clear coat.
    9. Let dry for a few hours then remove the masking tape and garbage bags.

Hope this helps someone.
    G1 SRX likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

G1 SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX N* AWD

Re: Foggy headlight fix

Nice. I would add to use a UV protectant polish such as Mother's synthetic wax. I use that and find it works well on the whole car, headlights, tail lights etc.

nascarnation is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX V6 AWD

Good work.
    If you have an orbital buffer you can use the various grades of paint finishing polish.

rdgfx32003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX 3.6 RWD

Using a plastic polish like that found in the 3M headlight restoration kit used with a drill really brings the "NEW" out after the sanding is done. In fact, just go buy the 3M headlight restoration kit. It has everything you need to restore the headlights to like new condition, except there isn't any UV protection included. I don't work for 3M nor am I a shareholder. This is just my opinion as a consumer of such products.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Head...gateway&sr=8-3

Alucard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgfx32003 View Post
    Using a plastic polish like that found in the 3M headlight restoration kit used with a drill really brings the "NEW" out after the sanding is done. In fact, just go buy the 3M headlight restoration kit. It has everything you need to restore the headlights to like new condition, except there isn't any UV protection included. I don't work for 3M nor am I a shareholder. This is just my opinion as a consumer of such products.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Head...gateway&sr=8-3
    For have use 3 times this kit, i prefer the Philips Headlight Restoration Kit with UV protection, 1 year without problem like all other kit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in