76 eldorado convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 76 eldorado convertible in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am brand new here and may need some direction regarding posting. I am about to make a 33 year ...
    squarebird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

76 eldorado convertible

I am brand new here and may need some direction regarding posting. I am about to make a 33 year dream come true by purchasing a 76 Eldorado convertible. This has turned into quite an adventure but I may have found the car that I have been looking for. I will be flying to look at the car on Thursday September 10th. The car has 7800 miles on it and I believe has been corrently stored and cared for over the years. The issue that I have is the tires. They are the original tires and I have been told that they should be replaced at once. Thats fine but I am having trouble with the correct whitewall width and finding the best supplier and would really like some help. I know that when the cars were new most of the cars that I saw had the wider whitewall but ocassionally I would see a new car with a very narrow whitewall. I definitely want to put the wider whitewalls on the car. Were these bias belted tires or radials? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '71 Eldo Conv

Re: 76 eldorado convertible

Congratulations! It sounds as though you have located a real "beauty!" The 1971 through 1976 Eldorado Convertibles are highly collectible and among the finest of American dream-machines available! Mine is a 1971, although I can admire all those model years. Since 2004, I've replaced my tires with a wider whitewall similar to the tires original by the factory in 1976, which were a steel belted radial. Here is a link, to a specialty tire made by Goodyear, called the "Broadway Shadow" and it is the latest version of what I've had on my car:

http://www.onlinetiredealer.com/specialty/brdwy.asp

I brought such a link to my Cadillac dealer, and they ordered the tires in, and mounted and balanced them. You should also obtain new valve stems, unique to these cars, and there is a seller on e-bay who still features them for a nominal cost. Mine have had no problems retaining air, look great, and ride nicely. I have put around 5,700 "gentle" miles on them, without visible wear yet. Hope this helps--and be sure to post a picture of your car when you get it!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

7800 miles? WOW! What a find. Where do these cars hide?

1Eldo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 ETC '07 DTS '76 Eldorado (sold)

Congratulations. The '76 Eldo convertible was truly the flagship. I bought mine with 9,500 miles on it. Firethorn red. White leather. White top. The one thing I discovered very quickly was that these cars were more age sensitive than mileage. The first year I replaced the brake booster, ECU, both fuel pumps, tires, brakes, brake hoses, shocks & battery. Mine was fuel injected - had system cleaned and re-worked. All four fender fillers were replaced and painted to match. At that point, it was like new. As for tires, I put on a Uniroyal Steel radial. White wall matched the originals. I sold the car 3 years later and made a small profit. Good luck and enjoy.

mxriderae is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado

well am new too i just had my 76 convertible eldorado too .. congrats ..
    i have question guys where can i get parts from ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in