1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
  1. #1
    alarin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15

    1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Hi! Need some help with my Caddy if you please.

    So the right channel is louder then the left one on any source. I'm listening to the music with balance adjusted to about the middle between center and full left. The strange things are:

    1. This situation was always there since I've bought my car but it became worse with time. Like two years ago I had to adjust the balance on like two clicks left. Now it's a bit more closer to full stop left rather than the middle.
    2. It disappeared already BUT sometimes (like with no reason once in a week or so) it played equally from both channels!
    3. It seems (!) for me that the left channel is weaker in mid and high frequency sounds but I may be wrong here.

    My question is: what would be the simplest way to figure out what causes the problem without disassembling half of the interior? Oh and I can't just go and buy parts on eBay or junkyard to try out — the delivery would take like 2-3 weeks and cost like another part to buy. So I must be pretty sure on what should be replaced.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore, Kent Island
    Age
    79
    Posts
    65,205

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Balance, volume, and treble/mid/bass preamp output is controlled by either fine wire potentiometers or electronic stepper controls. It sounds like the balance control is going bad (not uncommon in home stereo gear). I have no idea of the fix - automotive sound system head units are pretty much one-piece affairs - all on one, two, three circuit boards, so to replace a balance pot/stepper might be a REAL electronics chore.

    Another possibility is an intermittent cable connection - wiring output for each channel, HU to amp(s).

    When it's all set up and apparently working correctly do you get the same frequency response from each speaker set ?

    See if a good local autosound shop can offer any real advice.

  4. #3
    Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    perryman, MD
    Age
    75
    Posts
    1,457

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Are BOTH left (f & r) speakers low?
    If I recall, the '97 had the amps on each speaker and are known to go bad with age...but BOTH going bad at the same time is a long shot.
    I almost bought a mid '90s Eldo that had all four amps dead.

  5. #4
    alarin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Balance, volume, and treble/mid/bass preamp output is controlled by either fine wire potentiometers or electronic stepper controls. It sounds like the balance control is going bad (not uncommon in home stereo gear). I have no idea of the fix - automotive sound system head units are pretty much one-piece affairs - all on one, two, three circuit boards, so to replace a balance pot/stepper might be a REAL electronics chore.

    Another possibility is an intermittent cable connection - wiring output for each channel, HU to amp(s).

    When it's all set up and apparently working correctly do you get the same frequency response from each speaker set ?

    See if a good local autosound shop can offer any real advice.
    “Electronic stepper controls” in my case, right.

    “Intermittent cable connection” — thinking of measuring the voltage in amps power supply...

  6. #5
    alarin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Yarnell View Post
    Are BOTH left (f & r) speakers low?
    If I recall, the '97 had the amps on each speaker and are known to go bad with age...but BOTH going bad at the same time is a long shot.
    I almost bought a mid '90s Eldo that had all four amps dead.
    Have just checked — front only! Seems like one amp is dying. You are right, got separate amps for each channel.

    The one I've bought was without any Bose amps and HU at all :/ Previous owner installed some shitty Pioneer with a touch screen

  7. #6
    Harry Yarnell is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    perryman, MD
    Age
    75
    Posts
    1,457

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Not each channel, but each speaker.
    If the rears don't have amps, Rube's been in there.
    So I assume you don't have the stock radio?

  8. #7
    alarin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Saint-Petersburg, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1997 Eldorado Bose — wrong balance, right channel is louder

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Yarnell View Post
    Not each channel, but each speaker.
    If the rears don't have amps, Rube's been in there.
    So I assume you don't have the stock radio?
    I mean each of four channels
    Rear also got amps.

    And I, of course, I do have the stock radio. Previous owner replaced all the speakers and the HU, god bless he didn't guessed to remove the sound unit behind the rear seat. So I've removed all that shit and bought all the original speakers and HU from eBay.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Genesis | Kia Forte Forum