2001 ETC seat back flops backwards, intermittently
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 ETC seat back flops backwards, intermittently in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went out one morning a week or so ago, driver's seat back was lying on the back seat fully reclined ...
    87allante is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldo ETC, 1987 Allante, 2006 STS previous 66 Coupe, 85 Eldo Biaritz, 75 Eldorado

2001 ETC seat back flops backwards, intermittently

Went out one morning a week or so ago, driver's seat back was lying on the back seat fully reclined and then some. Held it forward, would not hold. Power recline switch activated the motor, but no seat back motion.

Put my lunch cooler between the seat back and the front of the rear seat; all is fine, seat back in just about the right position.

Drove all morning, parked for lunch, took the cooler out from behind the seat, everything was good - the seat back stayed in place, the power recline worked fine.

Shrugged it off, car is fine for a week or so, this morning, same problem, same fix, same return to normal after a hour or 2 of driving.

Any ideas?

thanks

Art

PS - 64K miles, clean, does not seem to be abused, last (and original) owner was a little old guy that couldn't possibly have weighed over 160
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: 2001 ETC seat back flops backwards, intermittently

Check if something has gone awry with the Personalization features. I don't know if the later ETC includes seatback recline in the list of seat positioning possibilities. Owner's manual.

This sounds like some sort of gear, threaded rod, or cable is hanging up at its travel limit.

Lots more info in the GM/Cadillac service manuals - paper copies from eBay or online at www.alldatadiy.com (service manuals plus diagnostic trees and system operation descriptions).

87allante is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldo ETC, 1987 Allante, 2006 STS previous 66 Coupe, 85 Eldo Biaritz, 75 Eldorado

Re: 2001 ETC seat back flops backwards, intermittently

I have the full set of manuals for this - body and car - from GM

the seat back acts as if it is disconnected from any sort of drive screw - I can pick it up and move it forward to lean on the steering wheel - the whole intermittent nature of the thing is perplexing

there are no MSM codes when I run the diagnostics - seat back recline is included in the memory package on this year

it almost seems as if the seat back disconnects from whatever mechanism reclines it, flops backwards, and then when the car is driven with the seat back propped in place it somehow re-engages the drives

I need to do some more thinking ....

thank you

Art

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in