Changing brake hoses on an 84 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Changing brake hoses on an 84 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello to All. I have an 84 Eldorado that need new brake hoses. I've checked on line and found some ...
    Bigbird8855 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado

Changing brake hoses on an 84 Eldorado

Hello to All. I have an 84 Eldorado that need new brake hoses. I've checked on line and found some Youtube video tutorials but for other cars. I hope the Eldorado hoses are similar to the others. That's my question. Are there any little surprises that Cadillac dreamed up to make it harder? Any do's and don'ts? I want to change all four corners and I see the front hoses are different from the rear even though the car has disks all the way around. Any surprises for that part? Anyway, I'm just looking for some guidance to make this job successful because at the end of the day.............it's the brakes!!!!! I could take it to a garage but it seems to me it's not rocket science. Needs to be done properly which I believe I can handle. ANy comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS SportWagon

Re: Changing brake hoses on an 84 Eldorado

Use line wrenches. Crack bleeders BEFORE taking the hoses off. No point in removing hoses carefully if you can't open (or break) bleeders

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird8855 View Post
    Hello to All. I have an 84 Eldorado that need new brake hoses. I've checked on line and found some Youtube video tutorials but for other cars. I hope the Eldorado hoses are similar to the others. That's my question. Are there any little surprises that Cadillac dreamed up to make it harder? Any do's and don'ts? I want to change all four corners and I see the front hoses are different from the rear even though the car has disks all the way around. Any surprises for that part? Anyway, I'm just looking for some guidance to make this job successful because at the end of the day.............it's the brakes!!!!! I could take it to a garage but it seems to me it's not rocket science. Needs to be done properly which I believe I can handle. ANy comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    ===============================
    Are there any little surprises that Cadillac dreamed up to make it harder?
    NOPE - flex hoses are flex hoses -
    HOWEVER -
    you are dealing with a 35 year old car -
    the chances that the fitting on the steel brake line will easily easily break loose and spin freely
    fall somewhere between slim and none -

GET PREPARED -
    start lubing up the connections with PB-Blaster - DAYS before the operation -

as jay suggested - ONLY USE SPECIALTY LINE WRENCHES -

support BOTH sides of the connection and GENTLY try to unscrew the fitting from the hose -

if the steel tubing starts to twist - STOP - or you'll have to replace steel lines too -
    a kink in a steel brake line is NOT ACCEPTABLE -

next step would be to apply some heat to the fitting - HOPING to expand it - and break it loose from the steel line -

GOOD LUCK - TAKE YOUR TIME -

REMEMBER - if you twist/kink the steel line - it MUST be replaced -

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado Biarritz

About the only thing unique to this process is that the rear hoses are not on the caliper, they make the jump from the frame to the control arm forward of the rear wheel. It's in a tight spot to get into to complicate matters further...

Bigbird8855 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado

Thanks for the advice. Take it easy on the fittings is part of my plan. Will WD 40 work instead of PB Blaster? Myself and the car live in Germany so I can't just go down to local parts store.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

You need something like Pbblaster and wd40 isn't the same. You need a penetrating oil like Liquid wrench, Kroil, etc.
    I'll also say a quality line wrench, nothing like rounding the heads on a brake line when el cheapo set doesn't fit snugly or bends.

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird8855 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Take it easy on the fittings is part of my plan. Will WD 40 work instead of PB Blaster? Myself and the car live in Germany so I can't just go down to local parts store.
    ===========================
    Will WD 40 work instead of PB Blaster?
    NO - WD40 is great for a lot of things -
    BUT - it just doesn't work very well as a rust penetrating fluid -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in