Time for another Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Time for another Seville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Long story short, I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed. First shop took a look ...
    Roblee22 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 SLS w/F45

Time for another Seville

Long story short, I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed. First shop took a look at it and said the impact damaged the frame, just to be sure, i got it towed to another shop, they said the same thing. I decided to sell it to this guy for $375. Now im looking to buy another one in 2 weeks. I would prefer a 1998 or 1999 STS. Its been a roller coaster of a 2 and a half years, but considering other things wrong with the car and that I wanted a STS, I decided to let it go. Im gonna miss the active suspension blue onyx SLS dearly, but its time for me to get another... I dont want a 2000 or newer model, but if the right one shows up, I ll buy it.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Time for another Seville

Sorry to hear that Rob, this thing has been a lot of problems for you as I recall.
    Unless the '98 or '99 you hind has already been inserted or studded, I'd strongly recommend you hold ot for a 2000 or newer. Take your time and search and you'll find a nice one. Good luck.

basscatt is offline Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

Quote Originally Posted by Roblee22 View Post
    Long story short, I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed. First shop took a look at it and said the impact damaged the frame, just to be sure, i got it towed to another shop, they said the same thing. I decided to sell it to this guy for $375. Now im looking to buy another one in 2 weeks. I would prefer a 1998 or 1999 STS. Its been a roller coaster of a 2 and a half years, but considering other things wrong with the car and that I wanted a STS, I decided to let it go. Im gonna miss the active suspension blue onyx SLS dearly, but its time for me to get another... I dont want a 2000 or newer model, but if the right one shows up, I ll buy it.

===============================
    I hit a curb HARD friday night, had to get it towed.
    I have only one word of advise for you -
    UBER

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

97, 98, 99 are the worst Northstar years for cylinder block head bolt hole troubles. Hold out for a good 2001 or later or, as posted, find one that has been professionally inserted/studded.

For the STS, pre-2000 is calibrated for premium 91/93 octane fuels; all 2000 - 2005 Northstars are calibrated to run (and make the same power/torque) on regular 87 octane fuels. No, the 2000 - 2005 PCM will NOT advance timing a bit to take advantage of possible gains from using premium, and premium is not "better" than regular - but it IS different.

I preferred the pre 2000 for the tuning ability, but i even noticed the 2000 and new models runs smoother. I got my eye on an 2001 Pearl white Deville base now with sunroof and also a 1998 STS, also white with sunroof. Im looking to buy my next Cadillac in 2 weeks max.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Read this for the Northstar head bolt hole thread failures by year. 1998 is dead center of the worst. https://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...oll-610-a.html

Forget the tune aspect - intown Chicago you can bounce off curbs equally hard with/without a tune. Just exactly what would a "tune" do for you? How often? How much? Why?

Find either a Deville or Seville, 2000 or later - without sunroof, thereby deleting a common headache - mechanical and water leak sunroof problems. Remember - the VIN 9 and VIN Y cars are very different critters. Know what you're looking at and why.

A set of F45 struts and shocks (already overdue) for a 1998 STS will set you back over $3,000 - if you can find them.

Automobile(s): 2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS's, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille

I preferred the pre 2000 for the tuning ability, but i even noticed the 2000 and new models runs smoother. I got my eye on an 2001 Pearl white Deville base now with sunroof and also a 1998 STS, also white with sunroof. Im looking to buy my next Cadillac in 2 weeks max.

=========================
    you will NOT be happy with a BASE model Deville -

what you really should be looking for is a DTS model Deville -

it has the VIN-9 motor/trans - same as the STS -
    and it has the FE3/F45 - stiff - electronic suspension you crave - same as the STS -
    along with bucket seats and a center console - same as the STS -

I wouldn't mind an soft ride 2000+ Deville at all, the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges, but if the right one showed up i wouldn't let that prevent me from buying it. We all know i preferr Sevilles but I would definitely own an Deville with no issue(but it would definitely have to be a 2000 model as i dont like pre 2000 Devilles).

I wouldn't mind an soft ride 2000+ Deville at all, the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges, but if the right one showed up i wouldn't let that prevent me from buying it. We all know i preferr Sevilles but I would definitely own an Deville with no issue(but it would definitely have to be a 2000 model as i dont like pre 2000 Devilles).

=========================
    the only thing i dislike is the column shifter and the digital gauges
    pulling out the middle seat - and installing the center console from a DTS is NOT impossible -
    BUT - you need some tools and some skills -
    Ranger did his DHS - and a couple other members did it to their BASE models -
    there are a couple HowTos in the TechTips forum -

------------------

replacing the digital cluster with an analog cluster is definitely doable - ALMOST plug-n-play -

the trick is to find a cluster with similar miles -
    mileage IS stored in the cluster and is damn near impossible to change -
    it takes a specialty shop - and a note from God -

the other possible hick-up would be the model/year the cluster comes from -

a DHS model and SLS model do not have active suspension -
    a DTS modes and STS model DO have the active suspension -

another point would be the year of the donor -
    pre 2002 the Deville and Seville did NOT have the TPM - Tire Pressure Monitor system -

SO - if you put a 2002 and later DTS/STS analog cluster into a 2001 BASE Deville -
    you WILL get suspension system error messages and TPM error messages -
    EVERY TIME you turn the key on - and your speed will be limited to 90 -

the FIX is very easy - use a TECH2 scanner and change the YEAR of cluster AND from a DTS/STS to a DHS -
    it only takes a few minutes -

OR - find a 2000/2001 DHS/SLS cluster -

what's your budget -

how far are you willing to go to get it -

Im willing to travel maybe around 70ish miles away from the city, and im hoping i can find one for around 2500. Im considering fixer uppers too if the price is right as long is there are no head gasket or transmission issues. So far i see a few ones

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

If I were you, I would try to search Florida and get something shipped to you. I've heard of a lot of people getting low mile Sevilles and Devilles down there for a song. Like online classifieds and Craigslist. Older people pass away and their kids just try to unload the cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in