P0410 code...please help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, P0410 code...please help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have code p0410 which is the secondary air injection pump or smog pump. For about a month I would ...
    mrmichael1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

P0410 code...please help

I have code p0410 which is the secondary air injection pump or smog pump. For about a month I would turn on the car and you would ear a loud pump screaming for about 10 seconds and then it would shut off. This only happened on startup, it would happen just about every time for a month without the engine light coming on. I was also experiencing lean conditions in bank 1 & 2 with p0171 & p0174, as well as a little engine hesitation intermittently. I did some research and found out that a bad smog pump would cause lean driving conditions and engine hesitation. Just this week the screaming pump stopped and now I have an engine light on with code p0410 and p0171 & p0174. I am thinking that the secondary air injection pump finally died. Should I just go ahead and replace the smog pump first, or should I check a few things first. Please advise

I have code p0410 which is the secondary air injection pump or smog pump. For about a month I would turn on the car and you would ear a loud pump screaming for about 10 seconds and then it would shut off. This only happened on startup, it would happen just about every time for a month without the engine light coming on. I was also experiencing lean conditions in bank 1 & 2 with p0171 & p0174, as well as a little engine hesitation intermittently. I did some research and found out that a bad smog pump would cause lean driving conditions and engine hesitation. Just this week the screaming pump stopped and now I have an engine light on with code p0410 and p0171 & p0174. I am thinking that the secondary air injection pump finally died. Should I just go ahead and replace the smog pump first, or should I check a few things first. Please advise

Moderator edit: Identical posts from different threads have been merged into the correct (hopefully) vehicle forum. Sub.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Re: P0410 code...please help

What make, model, trim level, year automobile are we diagnosing ??? Please update your profile so your username banner looks like those of other members - thanks.

P 0171 and P 0174 are lean mixture codes and have nothing to do with AIR or the P 0410 code.

AIR (it's NOT a "smog pump") sends fresh air to the exhaust manifolds - after any combustion process - to quickly light off the cat during cold starts. "Cold start" depends on ambient temps, coolant temp, time since last start, other factors. If the sound cover disintegrates it sounds much like a vacuum cleaner motor whine - then water gets in and seizes the blower, costing you about $275 in repair costs (DIY).

The old smog pumps constantly fed fresh air to the exhaust ports to try and continue the combustion process in order to lessen emissions of nitrous oxides. They would not cause a lean fuel mixture, either. Lean tailpipe gas, yes; lean fuel mixture, no.

The lean codes are most likely caused by an air leak in the intake ducting at or after the MAF, throttlebody problems, or (most likely) problems with the intake manifold-to throttlebody rubber plenum connector.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in