92 4.9L Eldorado Issue - No start, no fuel from fuel injectors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sefiro
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 4.9L Eldorado Issue - No start, no fuel from fuel injectors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello. I'm posting this because I'm having a strange issue with my Eldorado and I'm becoming desperate to fix it. ...
    magicjackz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado (4.9L)

Question 92 4.9L Eldorado Issue - No start, no fuel from fuel injectors

Hello. I'm posting this because I'm having a strange issue with my Eldorado and I'm becoming desperate to fix it. One day while I was driving home, she started to surge incredibly hard and stall whenever at idle. Somehow I made it home and parked her. I checked the coolant and it hadn't ran out, nor had the car overheated. Checked the battery, and the voltage was fine. The next day, I tried to start the car. It cranked fine, but would not run, so I called my mechanic. He came and looked at her, and found that she was getting plenty of spark but wasn't getting any fuel. She ran fine when he used starting fluid. After taking it to his shop he found that the fuel pump was working fine, and replaced the filter. He looked at how much voltage the injectors were getting and said that they weren't getting any pulses at all, just a solid signal, so he replaced the distributor and the ignition module. The car still didn't start. He told me to check the resistance of the injectors, and said that if one was faulty it could be locking up the entire system, or the ECM is bad. The only other thing I think could cause this is the throttle position sensor, but I feel like the car would still try to start even if it was bad.
    I read the codes and the only current ones are I039 (Ride Control Error) and A047 (Low AC).

So tl:dr, my fuel injectors aren't being activated at all and I'm not sure if it's the injectors fault or the ECM. Does one injector failing lock up the system, or is it the ECM going bad? Or something else entirely?

You guys probably know a lot more about these cars than I do, so did I miss anything? Any information helps. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

cadillac_al2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville

Re: 92 4.9L Eldorado Issue - No start, no fuel from fuel injectors

There should be some fuses for the fuel injection. There is usually a diagram in the owners manual.

Checked all of the fuses and none were blown. The injectors are getting power but the pcm isn't supplying ground.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it.
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Not sure about a '92 4.9, but is there a chance that a faulty security system has locked out the injectors ? Some of these cars use an ignition theft lock; some use fuel delivery theft lock.

Look for diagnostic codes in the car's scanner system. Use the correct year/model instructions in the sticky thread "How to pull codes" on this forum main threads page. You're looking for the OBD1 instructions and the found codes definition link.

CURRENT
    I039 - Loss of Road Sensing Suspension Data - Ride Control Error "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL"
    A047 - Low Refrigerant

HISTORY
    E030 - ISC RPM out of range
    E052 - PCM Memory Reset
    I052 - Keep Alive Memory Error
    A012 - Low Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
    A048 - Low Refrigerant Pressure "VERY LOW REFRIDGERANT, AC COMPRESSOR OFF"
    R026 - Driver Initiator Circuit Open
    R033 - Steering Diode Shorted in Arming Sensor

I don't think it's the security system, because if it was the car wouldn't even crank. The security light turns off when I put in the key and everything seems to work as normal. The engine just doesn't get any fuel when it cranks

sefiro is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville

- yes, the 4.9 security controls the injector via data signal to the pcm
    - pcm controls injectors via switching of the ground
    - the 52 codes are typically set when fuses or battery are pulled. They could have been set off when driving, the pcm lost power.

1) check if a security bypass module was installed. It might have failed. (It simulates the data signal.
    2) check wire harness from passkey module or bypass module to the pcm
    3) a noid light will provide a better indicator of the pcm switching ground. Cheaper meters won't react fast enough. (Or use an oscilloscope)
    4) with a meter, check the ground wires for the pcm and make sure they are looping
    5) with a meter, check the wires from the pcm to the injector(s)
    Phideaux likes this.

Checked the ground wires and harness, security system doesn't have a bypass and isnt throwing codes either. I'm checking the injectors tomorrow but I decided to take out the pcm just to see if it was stock. When I took out the kick panel, some nuts and leaves fell out, and the pcm had a bunch of rust on it. It wasn't the stock pcm either, it was aftermarket and looked really beat up. Is it possible for water and debris to get behind the kick panel from the vents? I think it would explain a lot, since random stuff on the car liked to just stop working sometimes.

sefiro is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville

Leaking AC condensate?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in